Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
I have been playing with it since yesterday at 3pm and I swear I can't put It down. I have owned every iPhone out I have the 5 right now and owned iPad 1,2 and 3rd gen with retina and have owned a 7" kindle fire and I swear this beats them all I mean even with the non retina display I find playing games,browsing the web and watching youtube videos very easy on the eyes I don't know why people are complaining apple has a big hit with this mini can't wait for mini 2.

Last edited:

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
I have been playing with it since yesterday at 3pm and I swear I can't put It down. I have owned every iPhone out I have the 5 right now and owned iPad 1,2 and 3rd gen with retina and have owned a 7" kindle fire and I swear this beats them all I mean even with the non retina display I find playing games,browsing the web and watching youtube videos very easy on the eyes I don't know why people are complaining apple has a big hit with this mini can't wait for mini 2.

It's awesome, except the display.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009

So you've owned a bunch of Apple phones, Apple tablets, and one competitor product and that qualifies you to make a "best product there is, period." statement?

Ok.

I don't know why people are complaining

It's almost as if people have different opinions, tastes, and expectations.

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
So you've owned a bunch of Apple phones, Apple tablets, and one competitor product and that qualifies you to make a "best product there is, period." statement?

Ok.

But I have used a nexus 7 for a week my friend let me use it because I was debating on getting one and I didn't like the 7" found it small same issue with the kindle fire and the android os it's just not upto par with iOS and yes when I had the fire I rooted it I liked the fire for playing flash video when streaming UFC fights online but even that was sluggish and choppy the nexus 7 i found nice with the features but found the 7" a little small and still even with jelly bean I wasn't awed.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
It won't be remotely close to being considered the best device out there now until it has a higher PPI. Reading on this thing is awful.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Love the size and weight. It's a winner. I'm not even that bugged about the screen. Retina will come sooner rather than later.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
I think next year the mini will be $399, $499 and $599 and have the same screen res as the ipad 3 and 4 making it a super retina display. The current mini will then go down in price to 299, 399 and 499. We will no longer see the ipad 2 for sale. So it will be iPad mini, iPad mini R and then iPad 5 (iPad R).

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
iPhone5 > iPad 4 > iPad mini

No doubt the iPhone 5 is a great phone but lacks some things cause of its size screen like movie watching reading books. But I mean I love the 8mp camera on it really good piks. The big 9.7" iPads I find are just that big heavy and not comfortable holding for a long period.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

Ok.

It's almost as if people have different opinions, tastes, and expectations.

It's more like people love to find ways of quashing joy and excitement in others. There are a lot of people on here having a great time with their new product, and yet quite a few others find that joy and happiness rather unacceptable, and worse still, they have no problem letting them know what morons they are for being so excited.

Reading on this thing is awful.

No, it isn't.

ITS ME DAVID

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Pasadena, Ca
It's more like people love to find ways of quashing joy and excitement in others. There are a lot of people on here having a great time with their new product, and yet quite a few others find that joy and happiness rather unacceptable, and worse still, they have no problem letting them know what morons they are for being so excited.

No, it isn't.

X2 I think those that are hating on the mini don't even own one they just want to bash or troll on these forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
X2 I think those that are hating on the mini don't even own one they just want to bash or troll on these forums.

I suspect with some of them that you're absolutely correct. Others are exaggerating and using hyperbole and acting all melodramatic, and a few really aren't happy with the device.

For me I thought my expectations were so high it would at best be acceptable or tolerable as far as devices go, but it actually far exceeded them, so I'm happy beyond belief with this device, more so than I was with my first iPad gen 1.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I suspect with some of them that you're absolutely correct. Others are exaggerating and using hyperbole and acting all melodramatic, and a few really aren't happy with the device.

For me I thought my expectations were so high it would at best be acceptable or tolerable as far as devices go, but it actually far exceeded them, so I'm happy beyond belief with this device, more so than I was with my first iPad gen 1.

Well, I guess we should be thankful that you're here to definitively judge who is being dramatic and who is sincere (and then agree with or dismiss their opinions accordingly).

Harvey Specter

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Portland, Oregon
I think next year the mini will be $399, $499 and $599 and have the same screen res as the ipad 3 and 4 making it a super retina display. The current mini will then go down in price to 299, 399 and 499. We will no longer see the ipad 2 for sale. So it will be iPad mini, iPad mini R and then iPad 5 (iPad R).

Yeah there's no way the price is gonna go up like that unless they're trying to ruin the business. They have well thought out the pricing on it, and Im sure with the heat they got from it this time around, they will not make it $200 more than the competition. That's just unreasonable

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

I agree. People don't understand the technology, so they complain about it. This isn't designed to be a top of the line product, if they would have put a retina display in it, it would have priced it out of it's target demographic and people would be bitching tenfold about price.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Or maybe people just have varying opinions and expectations.

The people who immediately dismiss the people who don't like the device are just as annoying as the people who immediately dismiss people who like it.

The truth, as usual, lies in the middle. By all accounts it's a good product with a screen that is disappointing to some. It's strange how people how like it feel this need to be validated that everyone else likes it too.

Though the last line of the OP's post made me laugh...if everything about this is perfect why put 'can't wait for the iPad Mini 2'???

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I was in Best Buy last night and I got a chance to play with the mini. I'm on a IPad 2 right now so no Retina but I thought the screen was nice. It's very light and able to actually hold the thing with one hand seemed so much better than sitting on the couch trying to find a comfortable spot to hold the regular size IPad. I'm very tempted to replace my IPad with it but I do want cellular on it. Bottom line you need to go hold the thing in your hand. I can see a lot of sales on this as its just much more easier to use than the IPad. Really not sure how much a retina would bring to the table on a smaller display since I could read the text very well with my aging eyes. Even better if it had retina but not going to stop me from being a issue with buying one. Size and weight seem to be the main reasons.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
I was in Best Buy last night and I got a chance to play with the mini. I'm on a IPad 2 right now so no Retina but I thought the screen was nice. It's very light and able to actually hold the thing with one hand seemed so much better than sitting on the couch trying to find a comfortable spot to hold the regular size IPad. I'm very tempted to replace my IPad with it but I do want cellular on it. Bottom line you need to go hold the thing in your hand. I can see a lot of sales on this as its just much more easier to use than the IPad. Really not sure how much a retina would bring to the table on a smaller display since I could read the text very well with my aging eyes. Even better if it had retina but not going to stop me from being a issue with buying one. Size and weight seem to be the main reasons.

I agree. I sold my iPad 3, bought the mini and its so nice to have the portability that I didn't know I was missing with the iPad 3. Plus the fact that I can use it one handed and thumb through web articles .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.