Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalhen

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Just wanted to let you know, my Hong Kong ordered iPad Mini has just shipped. I ordered the instant they were available last week.

Due for delivery on 7th November.

AAPLFAN

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Yep FedEx is way better

Same here! I've never had any issues via FedEx.

I had 2 orders one delivered by FedEx and the other UPS. I live in a building with concierge services and they take care of packages for me. Of course FedEx delivered at 11 am and left a note at my door telling me its with the concierge.

UPS delivered at 3:44 pm left couple of boxes from other retailers at the door but stuck the 1st attempt note on the door right next to the FEdex note.

Shows you who is better. To lazy to stop by the front desk.

Had to go pick up at facility later in the evening and it wasn't close. Many others were there for their minis. I just knew UPS was gonna screw up.

Star-fire

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Well hopefully Apple will learn by giving out a lot of free smart covers, I didn't even have to push, they just offered it to me.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
UPS did deliver about an hour ago on Saturday. Kudos to them for doing the right thing. :)

Their website said it was moved to Monday and I was out at the Apple store so I had removed the presign from the front door. Only by the grace of grace of God did my wife get up and sign for it!!!

Also good thing I ultimately did not decide to buy a mini at the store. I was sorely tempted but thought I could be a grown up for once and wait 2 days.

[rant reply prevention: I only went by the Apple store since its 1/2 block from where I got my hair cut]

Ps the screen is just fine without retina

mactouros

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
I'm another one whose UPS Shipment Progress hasn't changed since 9:04 AM on Nov. 2. It was annoying wasting an entire day and evening expecting delivery because UPS never updated or gave out any information. I did get the email (in the evening) from Apple about UPS being "committed" to delivering today (Saturday), but that meant nothing since I was under the impression that they had been committed to delivering on Nov 2 ever since I finalized my order.

I contacted Apple, not UPS, because I agreed to do business with Apple, not UPS. It's Apple whose agreed to do business with UPS. If I contacted UPS directly, then Apple has no way of knowing that I, an Apple customer, is having a negative experience with the purchase of an Apple product.

Right now my UPS shipment progress still shows the 9:04 AM departure from Baltimore and a delivery of Monday, November 5. Apple and someone I spoke to from UPS (through my call to Apple) said delivery will be today. If the Nov 5 date is incorrect, then UPS needs to fix that.

The problem isn't the delay itself. It's the lack of communication from UPS. Some delays can't be avoided. The problem is that UPS is either not giving information, giving incorrect information, or giving conflicting information. Anyone having problems with UPS should let Apple know because if UPS is affecting Apple customers negatively, then Apple should know about it.

Morehouse1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
UPS did deliver about an hour ago on Saturday. Kudos to them for doing the right thing. :)

Their website said it was moved to Monday and I was out at the Apple store so I had removed the presign from the front door. Only by the grace of grace of God did my wife get up and sign for it!!!

Also good thing I ultimately did not decide to buy a mini at the store. I was sorely tempted but thought I could be a grown up for once and wait 2 days.

[rant reply prevention: I only went by the Apple store since its 1/2 block from where I got my hair cut]

Ps the screen is just fine without retina

Mine just arrived about 40 minutes ago. Screen is perfectly fine w/o Retina in my opinion. You literally have to hold the mini right up to your face to notice a major difference, and that difference is still not that bad.

jobema

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
Right now my UPS shipment progress still shows the 9:04 AM departure from Baltimore and a delivery of Monday, November 5. Apple and someone I spoke to from UPS (through my call to Apple) said delivery will be today. If the Nov 5 date is incorrect, then UPS needs to fix that.

It's a mess with Apple and UPS. I'm in McLean VA, near DC. Pre-ordered for delivery on 11/2. "Mechanical failure" occurred on Thursday in Baltimore. Got the "Saturday delivery" email from Apple on Friday. UPS shipped the iPad to Alexandria (about 5 miles from here) yesterday (but no delivery attempt) then sent it back to Louisville today! They claim delivery tomorrow (Monday). I called Apple to see if they knew what's up - I leave tomorrow for a trip, so timing matters. They couldn't see the iPad had ended up back in Louisville. The Apple rep said there was a big problem with UPS this weekend.

And no offer whatsoever of a Smart Case or other apology - how did you all get that from Apple?

mactouros

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2011
It's a mess with Apple and UPS. I'm in McLean VA, near DC. Pre-ordered for delivery on 11/2. "Mechanical failure" occurred on Thursday in Baltimore. Got the "Saturday delivery" email from Apple on Friday. UPS shipped the iPad to Alexandria (about 5 miles from here) yesterday (but no delivery attempt) then sent it back to Louisville today! They claim delivery tomorrow (Monday). I called Apple to see if they knew what's up - I leave tomorrow for a trip, so timing matters. They couldn't see the iPad had ended up back in Louisville. The Apple rep said there was a big problem with UPS this weekend.

And no offer whatsoever of a Smart Case or other apology - how did you all get that from Apple?

I did end up getting my iPad on Saturday around 12:30 in the afternoon, so I didn't have to wait at home the entire day. When I called Apple Friday evening, the rep threw in the free Smart Covers. Or, to be precise, said he would refund me for the two Smart Covers I ordered for each iPad Mini. I was also give a Smart Cover when I bought my iPad 2 without asking or demanding anything. In my case, it might have been that the rep could tell how frustrated I was, but I wasn't taking it out on them, and I acknowledged that all of my experiences with Apple has been great except for the fact that they chose to use UPS. Some people end the call and call back, usually getting a sympathetic rep the second time. I wasn't expecting anything even though I know it was a possibility. I order online a lot, and most companies wouldn't do anything like that for a delay in shipping much less for poor communication on the part of their shipping agent. It is a very generous gesture, and it does counter a lot of the negative experiences with UPS and, as a result, the purchasing experience with Apple. I don't know where mini journeyed since its status went from the Baltimore departure to delivery. Totally skipped my local distribution center. I hope you get yours soon. You might want to try giving Apple another call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.