Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
It has made me enjoy the screen in my mini more, because I am not having problems reading text like I was. I highly recommend it.

dxerboy

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
This just might be a game saver for the mini (for me at least), thanks for the constructive post!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Unfortunately none of these 3rd party apps use the nitro JS engine like the built in safari does. Therefore all of three browsers are slower than safari. You ca simply use the JavaScript bookmark trick in safari it works great and you get the speeds of safari in ios6! Which is a big improvement. There is a hack you can install in a jail broken ios device which allows 3rd party browsers to use the nitro engine. This gaining significant speeds just like the safari browser except you get huge options vs no options in safari

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I did that also. But every web page I kept having to press the font + button. I wish it would just stay there.
Unfortunately none of these 3rd party apps use the nitro JS engine like the built in safari does. Therefore all of three browsers are slower than safari. You ca simply use the JavaScript bookmark trick in safari it works great and you get the speeds of safari in ios6! Which is a big improvement. There is a hack you can install in a jail broken ios device which allows 3rd party browsers to use the nitro engine. This gaining significant speeds just like the safari browser except you get huge options vs no options in safari

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Does Perfect Browser do it any better than Atomic Web or iCab? They both allow you to increase the font too.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Does Perfect Browser do it any better than Atomic Web or iCab? They both allow you to increase the font too.

I tried iCab, as it seems to be the best option other than safari. But the auto-text increase mangles things. Hopefully the add something just for the mini.

Perfect browser doesn't look appealing to the eye at all. If you can't make an app look good, you're not getting my $1.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I agree. I like icab much better. But perfect browser does a great job with fixing the text problem.

I tried iCab, as it seems to be the best option other than safari. But the auto-text increase mangles things. Hopefully the add something just for the mini.

Perfect browser doesn't look appealing to the eye at all. If you can't make an app look good, you're not getting my $1.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Atomic requires that you adjust the font setting for individual sites. That is, you can't set a default size. Also, increasing the font size once in Atomic increases the font too much for many sites. Perfect Browser allows for more degrees in size.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Can somebody please tell me what exactly in the settings of the browser I have to chose to get the desired effect? I seem to be doing something wrong...

rprr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
You can either increase the text size globally for all sites via the Preferences -> Settings -> Font size override -> On and pick a value. The Preferences is on the toolbar next to the address bar.

Alternatively, you can increase the text size for Individual sites. First change via the Preferences -> Default Font Size. Once you are satisfied with the font for a particular site then you can set it via Preferences -> Save Font for Site.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Just to put my 2 cents in on this browser... I'm loving having the text be bigger on my Mini (set it to +140%). I agree with others that the browser is not much to look but a way around that is to keep it in full screen mode (which increases screen real estate as well) It even lets you take off ios's top bar with the time, battery, etc. Since it lets you program gestures, I have a 3 finger swipe down to make the address and tab bars appear when I need it. Not perfect but it should do nicely!

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Another tip for Perfect Browser: Set the desktop rending to "safari phone." This triggers mobile versions of websites. It's necessary for some sites such as theverge.com, which will load incorrectly if you use font override.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Very helpful! Thank you!
Another tip for Perfect Browser: Set the desktop rending to "safari phone." This triggers mobile versions of websites. It's necessary for some sites such as theverge.com, which will load incorrectly if you use font override.

----------

This helped! Thank you!
Just to put my 2 cents in on this browser... I'm loving having the text be bigger on my Mini (set it to +140%). I agree with others that the browser is not much to look but a way around that is to keep it in full screen mode (which increases screen real estate as well) It even lets you take off ios's top bar with the time, battery, etc. Since it lets you program gestures, I have a 3 finger swipe down to make the address and tab bars appear when I need it. Not perfect but it should do nicely!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.