Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Some people here need to look up the physical properties of aluminum before making fanboy-style accusations on the OP

I'd love to hear some alternative theories on what would cause a phone to gain a 10-15 degree crease and not break the glass.

Did it fly too close to the sun?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Gorilla Glass.

So King Kong (or perhaps Donkey Kong) hit the phone too hard?

I get that with Gorilla Glass it's possible for it to bend but not break. I'm waiting to hear plausible explanations beyond one's own posterior for introducing the bend in the phone.

Wordsmithmac

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2011
Why do people assume others are lying when their products have issues? It happens with every apple release someone or some few people have issues and here runs on a group to deny them and call them liars.

Contrary to popular belief apple is not perfect and it's products don't come crafted from God himself in heaven.

Just because it didn't happen to YOU doesn't mean it didn't happen to someone else.

Get off your high horses.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just wanted to update.... I called Apple Care and opened a case.... told them everything I went through and they gave me a "repair number" which gave me the ability to go into the local Apple store and return the phone. The genius at the Apple store still felt the need to find some way to make it seem like I broke the phone. His response to me was " If I was going on vacation tomorrow I would not have done this" Rest assured he still new the situation I was in and probably felt like an *******. Got the new phone and its perfect!

So the guy was still a douche? That sucks but at least the new one is perfect.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I'm just genuinely curious. I've heard a statement about "the properties of aluminum", but aluminum doesn't spontaneously bend on itself. Where could this have been introduced? In shipping - extreme heat and/or cold?

Orange Furball

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Scranton, PA, USA
I'm just genuinely curious. I've heard a statement about "the properties of aluminum", but aluminum doesn't spontaneously bend on itself. Where could this have been introduced? In shipping - extreme heat and/or cold?

Aluminum wouldn't react like that to heat or cold. It could have been a manufacturing error or a shipping problem.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Aluminum wouldn't react like that to heat or cold. It could have been a manufacturing error or a shipping problem.

And we have to eliminate physical damage from shipping due to the statement that the box was pristine. So maybe you're talking about a packing machine missing by an inch or two.. except I thought the entire initial assembly and packing was done by hand.

Aug 4, 2012
Several times getting in the car and forgetting I had the phone in my back pocket, I periodically sit on my 4 with no ill effect. There is a threshold to be aware of when the aluminum body iPhone 5 is milled out in the name of thin and light. Notwithstanding, a person's weight and how solid the surface being sat on has something to do with damage occurring as well.

I've sat on my iPhone 4 and 4S a few times while it was in my back pocket, of course when I sat on it I jumped up out of the seat as if I had sat on a thumb tack :D:D Anyways, my current 4S is flat as a pancake, had it been the iPhone 5 it would be U shaped by now.

----------

Sorry but aluminum does expand and contract. With glass on one side and aluminum on the other the iPhone 5 could possibly react like a sheet of plywood that is laminated on one side with phenolic (Formica) and not secured on the opposite side, the plywood will bow.
Engineers chime in...
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-expansion-coefficients-d_95.html

rodrighs75

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I have been hoping that this issue would pick up steam and finally one site is reporting it (http://www.tekcore.co.uk/2012/10/10/iphone-5-bend-gate/). I am just another iPhone 5 owner that now has a bent phone.

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
Funny i came across this thread, when i was using one of the iphones on display at the apple store yesterday, i could have SWORN that it looked like it was ever so slightly curved just like the OP's. I thought i was imagining it or it was some sort of illusion.

Telusman

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
My phone bent too....

I noticed a bend in my iPhone 5 yesterday and im still trying to figure out how/when it occurred. The device was in my front pocket all day and was hardly used. Was fine in the morning (sat fine on my nightstand), took it out in the evening to check-in to foursquare to find it looked a bit warped. Turned it on it's side to find a sizable bend at the exact same spot everyone elses phone seems to be bending at, the metal in the middle portion of the lower volume control. I was able to re-shape the handset back to it's original shape using my hands (with alarming ease, i might add) but you can still see a stress mark in the metal beside the "-" button on the side of the phone. It also seemed to have retained a bit of memory from the bend as it seems to want to go back to the bent shape, it was partially bent again this morning when I got up.

My handset wasn't put through any activity or endured any event that my iPhone 3 and iPhone 4 wasn't put through during the course of their 2.5 year lives. I'm a baggy jeans kinda guy, so there was no inherent tightness issue from my front pocket. (Even if i did wear skinny jeans, it's not up to Apples products to determine what wardrobe you can wear them in... but that being said, no one should wear skinny jeans.).

To this moment i can't think of one single activity or event that would have caused it to bend the way it did. Most of the day was spent at my desk. The only thing it did all day was sit in my pocket and stay warm, but i also wonder if the warmth from my pocket enhanced the malleability of the material.

This seems to be a design flaw, and I seriously can't think of how they wouldn't have seen this during stress testing of the device. The fact that in almost every photo I've seen they're bending at the exact same point on the frame is hard (see: impossible) to call coincidence. It's almost as if they made the volume controls too large and adding two gaping holes to the frame created a weak spot in the softer aluminum.

On a side note I also find it amazing how many people are passing it off and saying "Well, buy a hard case!" or "Don't leave it in your pockets..." or "The phones so much taller and thinner thats to be expected..." Thats ridiculous. Did you buy a hard case for your car to ensure it doesn't bend while it's parked? What reasonable person says "This is an awesome product, but you have to put it in a hard case to ensure it doesn't bend during regular usage..." I've never used a case on any of my phones and I don't expect to have to start now just to keep structural stability of the device optimal while it's undergoing day to day operation. If the iPhone 5 requires a hard case to maintain integrity during normal use then there should be a note of that on the box...

Last edited:

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
"design flaw" Telusman ? >>>>Agree

I believe its the material used, and the thinness as well. Apple wanted thinness and light, and this is what we get. I liked the iPhone 4S and wish Apple would go back to that thickness with a larger longer lasting battery. More solid in my opinion, but me thinks Apple will not do so. Very :(

We may hear more of this slight bending posts in the near future.

Telusman

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
"design flaw" Telusman ? >>>>Agree

I believe its the material used, and the thinness as well. Apple wanted thinness and light, and this is what we get. I liked the iPhone 4S and wish Apple would go back to that thickness with a larger longer lasting battery. More solid in my opinion, but me thinks Apple will not do so. Very :(

We may hear more of this slight bending posts in the near future.

Well as the materials are part of the design, design flaw seemed like a good enough term. :) Either that or they had a bad production run and this is the end result. Either way, my iPhone 4 spent all it's time in my front pocket, and i never had an issue with flexing or bending at all. It was a solid rock like device.

I hope Apple can address this in some fashion other than telling people to get.. er.. bent.

Kenjhee

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2011
I have no idea who's truthing and who's not here, but as some have pointed out, glass does bend. Extrude it into thin strands as in fiber optics, and you can even coil it. All glass bends to some degree, not just chemically-strengthened glass like Gorilla Glass. And in fact it is fairly well accepted (I think) that Apple does use Gorilla Glass in its current iPhone products.

Check out video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSsgwefD-4. Even the non-chemically-treated glass bends quite a bit before breakage occurs. The stuff that is treated bends dramatically without failure. Just saying....

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I have no idea who's truthing and who's not here, but as some have pointed out, glass does bend. Extrude it into thin and strands as in fiber optics, and you can even coil it. All glass bends to some degree, not just chemically-strengthened glass like Gorilla Glass. And in fact it is fairly well accepted (I think) that Apple does use Gorilla Glass in its current iPhone products.

Check out video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSsgwefD-4. Even the non-chemically-treated glass bends quite a bit before breakage occurs. The stuff that is treated bends dramatically without failure. Just saying....
Iphone 5 doesn't have gorilla glass

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
I wasn't sure about that point. But it may still have chemically strengthened glass of some kind, and even if it doesn't even ordinary glass bends was my main point.
Even if it did, which it doesn't, gorilla glass still bends. Just look at the video

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
well at least now you have that cool curved iPhone screen concept
253134-iphone-5-concept-design-by-federico-ciccarese.jpg

as0016

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I have to wonder why they didnt use the style of buttons from the ipod touch. That would've made this, in all likelihood, less of a problem since they wouldn't have had to make the area so thin.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Iphone 5 doesn't have gorilla glass

"In 2006, while developing the first iPhone, Apple discovered that keys placed in a pocket with the prototype could scratch its hard plastic surface – and resolved to find a glass sufficiently scratch-resistant to eliminate the problem.[7][8] When Steve Jobs subsequently contacted Wendell Weeks, the CEO of Corning told him of the material the company had developed in the 1960s and subsequently mothballed. Despite the CEO's initial concern over whether the company could manufacture sufficient quantities for the product debut, Jobs convinced Weeks to produce the glass, and Corning's factory in Harrodsburg, Kentucky supplied the screens for the product's release in June 2007.[6] Corning further developed the material for a variety of smartphones and other consumer electronics devices for a range of companies.[9][3][10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

Steve Jobs convinced Corning to start producing Gorilla Glass for mass manufacturing out of an idea from the 60s, starting using it as of the original iPhone and it then went on to be used in over 1 billion smart phones as of October 2012.

We know Apple doesn't like to flaunt other brand names for its products. They don't advertise that they use Samsung chips and they don't advertise that they use Gorilla Glass. Doesn't mean that it's not true.

Let's put this myth to rest already.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
"In 2006, while developing the first iPhone, Apple discovered that keys placed in a pocket with the prototype could scratch its hard plastic surface – and resolved to find a glass sufficiently scratch-resistant to eliminate the problem.[7][8] When Steve Jobs subsequently contacted Wendell Weeks, the CEO of Corning told him of the material the company had developed in the 1960s and subsequently mothballed. Despite the CEO's initial concern over whether the company could manufacture sufficient quantities for the product debut, Jobs convinced Weeks to produce the glass, and Corning's factory in Harrodsburg, Kentucky supplied the screens for the product's release in June 2007.[6] Corning further developed the material for a variety of smartphones and other consumer electronics devices for a range of companies.[9][3][10]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass

Steve Jobs convinced Corning to start producing Gorilla Glass for mass manufacturing out of an idea from the 60s, starting using it as of the original iPhone and it then went on to be used in over 1 billion smart phones as of October 2012.

We know Apple doesn't like to flaunt other brand names for its products. They don't advertise that they use Samsung chips and they don't advertise that they use Gorilla Glass. Doesn't mean that it's not true.

Let's put this myth to rest already.

Yes, let's put this myth to a rest ;)

http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/smartphone/#_Productsfull

It was pretty foolish to quote Wikipedia

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.