Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I don't like the non-retina screen, but you know.. while using the device, I didn't miss the full-sized iPad one single bit (well, except the resolution). The weight of the device, the screen size, it is perfect for reading and browsing the web. I think actually the increased screen size over other 7" devices is both a pro and a con. It's a pro because it increases screen estate considerably which is nice for web browsing. It's a con because it does reduce portability some. Not a lot--it's a VERY portable device, very thin, very light, but it is bigger and it is not a very good device to hold with one hand for me.

But it's also a pro and a con for Apple. The bigger screen size makes cannibalization of the full-sized iPad that much more likely, in my opinion. I guess it's a good thing (as a shareholder whose shares have been in freefall, yay) that the iPad mini was priced pretty high for higher margins, because I really think the sales of the Mini will outpace the full iPad very soon. It really is the iPad I've always wanted, and it does NOT feel small. So why would I want a bigger one?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Just wait for the second iPad mini. It'll have retina display. The first one will be cheaper, too.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Just wait for the second iPad mini. It'll have retina display. The first one will be cheaper, too.

I said it in another thread but I almost feel like maybe all those crazy ppl who say Apple won't put retina in the iPad mini 2 are right, not because it's not possible etc. because it obviously is, but because of the full-sized iPad, which is in great peril ;)

the full-sized iPad is a beautiful device. the retina screen is a pleasure to read on. BUT it's unwieldy and heavy in comparison to the iPad mini. and it's heavy, without even comparison, when you're trying to read while lying in bed. At least for me, and for many people--although not all the people who are going to pop in this thread and tell me to lift weights.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

This.

Only then will I even consider getting a ipad mini ( much less to replace my ipad )

Not having a retina display when apple is pushing them so hard is insane, and the fact that it is ( and mostly always will) be rocking a generation-old processor is depressing. I look at all the compromises and I just can't justify the cost.

And trust me, it'll always be SOMETHING. Apple is smart, and they will always be holding the ipad mini back in one or two import aspects to make sure that it doesn't hurt the iPad with Retina Display sales too badly.

Last edited:

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
This.

Only then will I even consider getting a ipad mini ( much less to replace my ipad )

Not having a retina display when apple is pushing them so hard is insane, and the fact that it is ( and mostly always will) be rocking a generation-old processor is depressing. I look at all the compromises and I just can't justify the cost.

And trust me, it'll always be SOMETHING. Apple is smart, and they will always be holding the ipad mini back in one or two import aspects to make sure that it doesn't hurt the iPad with Retina Display sales too badly.

Oh I don't doubt that they'll try to keep the specs behind, but I'm not sure that's enough. It's really while using it that I fell in love, in a way I never fell in love with the full-sized iPad. I barely reached for it in the month or so I had it, it was just never the first thing I grabbed in the morning to check the weather or email (it was always my phone). of course this is going to be different for everyone, but I really think the screen size threatens the full-sized iPad a lot. The usability is great and the screen size is not small for my tastes.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
I really think the sales of the Mini will outpace the full iPad very soon. It really is the iPad I've always wanted, and it does NOT feel small. So why would I want a bigger one?

The larger screen is much nicer for certain activities, such as web surfing. IF the current "new iPad with retina display" had the thin border of the Mini and shaved off weight (like iPhone 5), wouldn't even consider Mini.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
The larger screen is much nicer for certain activities, such as web surfing. IF the current "new iPad with retina display" had the thin border of the Mini and shaved off weight (like iPhone 5), wouldn't even consider Mini.

Eh it's plenty big for me for browsing and so much easier to hold. I could love it so much if it had retina.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I just read the title, and it seems extremely serious. Shall we call the police?

Yes and inform Tim cook he's ruining the company. :D I love the mini! Never going back to full sized unless it also becomes 10 oz or less :) now, give me retina!

caz12345

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Scotland
I bought a 32gb white mini and red smart cover from Glasgow store today. Got to say I love it. I also own an ipad 2 and I really don't see why the display is being criticised so much. The tablet is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot put it down. My ipad 2 is going off to a new home. If folk want retina get the ipad 4 but for me this is a big hit!:)

pmcdunnough

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
I got both the Mini and the iPad 4. Came from an iPad3. The Mini is a very, very pleasant surprise. It's fantastic!

Philip

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
I bought a 32gb white mini and red smart cover from Glasgow store today. Got to say I love it. I also own an ipad 2 and I really don't see why the display is being criticised so much. The tablet is absolutely gorgeous and I cannot put it down. My ipad 2 is going off to a new home. If folk want retina get the ipad 4 but for me this is a big hit!:)

Well it is slightly better than the iPad 2, so if that's where you're coming from you wouldn't feel it's bad.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
My mini is not going to kill my iPad 3 or my 4 which will arrive in a few weeks. It is already back in the box with return labels to go back to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.