Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
I'm going to buy the base mini and upgrade to an SSD myself. What did you guys do w/ the 5400RPM drive that comes with the Mini? Did you buy an external inclosure and just use it as an external Time Machine?

Just wanted to get some ideas.

Thanks in advance!

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I kept mine inside the machine (used OWC's data doubler kit to have both inside). It now has 3 partitions:

• Macintosh HD - original factory installation resized to 48 GB
  • Clone - 256 GB partition to be used as a bootable clone of my SSD
  • Scratch - remainder of the disk, scratch drive that's excluded from Time Machine

I set it up so the first 2 partitions are not mounted at boot. I moved my Downloads folder to the Scratch drive and then symlinked it back to my home folder.

Didn't need to use it for Time Machine or large data because I have a couple of 3 TB USB3 drives for that stuff.

Bunyak

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I'm running Windows 7 via Boot Camp on the HDD. The Mini replaces a Windows PC so I still need some Windows apps for now.

google0912

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
could someone explain, how adding the ssd to the normal 1TB-HDD works? I know you can open the mac mini, but what then? Is it difficult?

I have a Crucial M4 64GB SSD, can I use it with the Mini?

thx

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
could someone explain, how adding the ssd to the normal 1TB-HDD works? I know you can open the mac mini, but what then? Is it difficult?

View the video here and decide for yourself if it's something you're willing to do: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/ ;)

I will note that the process surprised me a little bit, even after having experience with similar procedures on Apple laptops etc. For one, my logic board was in there tight, so getting it out as in the video made me nervous that I would break something before it started moving. But then it came out ok. :eek::)

Also, the reassembly instructions had the replacement of some screws in the wrong order, and that got me in a pretty bad predicament for a few minutes. If you just reassemble in the opposite order that you took it apart, you'll be fine. Or just remember that the power supply needs to go back in before the hard drive tray screws. :)

google0912

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
View the video here and decide for yourself if it's something you're willing to do: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/ ;)

I will note that the process surprised me a little bit, even after having experience with similar procedures on Apple laptops etc. For one, my logic board was in there tight, so getting it out as in the video made me nervous that I would break something before it started moving. But then it came out ok. :eek::)

Also, the reassembly instructions had the replacement of some screws in the wrong order, and that got me in a pretty bad predicament for a few minutes. If you just reassemble in the opposite order that you took it apart, you'll be fine. Or just remember that the power supply needs to go back in before the hard drive tray screws. :)

Thanks man!

I stopped watching the video after 4 minutes, my mini would certainly be dead by then lol. Gotta buy the fusion mini...

the27thvoice

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Norway
Got the OWC kit yesterday, today I did the operation. Slight problems with re-twisting the power supply and connecting it to the motherboard, but no big issues and it works awesome.

So my old hard drive is still inside the Mini and is both hosting my files and providing a just-in-case backup drive.

MM2012

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
For those who changed the drive. What's you plan if the mini breaks down. Do you plan to put back the OEM drive and bring back to Apple to fix? If you already put the OEM as you storage, what will you do?

scottaboshia

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
Just installed a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD using the OWC kit. Installation went smoothly although the clip that holds the power plug in place came lose when I was re-assembling. I heard it moving around in there after I was all done and immediately knew what it was so I had to take it all back apart and reassemble it again. It went a lot faster the second time around though!

Getting the OS installed on the new SSD could not have been easier. First I booted into the OS using the old drive, verified the new SSD, rebooted into recovery mode, opened the disk utilities and used the included tools to mirror everything from the HDD to the SSD. It took about 8 minutes to copy. I then set my startup disk to the new SSD and rebooted. No re-downloading OSX, no re-installing, nothing. Didn't think it would be that easy.

As for speeds. I was seeing about 95 MB/s read and write with the old 1 TB 5400 RPM Hard Drive and I'm seeing about 260 MB/s write and 500 MB/s read with the new SSD.

If something goes wrong with this unit I will repair it myself otherwise take out the SSD and bring it in I guess. It really isn't a huge deal. I wish they would sell individual parts though, such as main board assembly, power supply, etc. I've built tons of machines in the past but this is the first mac I've bought aside from my Macbook Air.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Leave it in the machine as a Data Drive and use the SSD as the Boot Drive.

You will need THIS KIT to add the second hard drive.

This is what I will be doing when the kit turns up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.