Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

can.rules

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
I like to disable 'sleep' on my iMac running ML, as otherwise I lose my VPN connections.

However, if I do that and I leave safari running overnight, more often than not the next morning the machine is frozen with safari consuming all the available memory (I have 8Gb RAM) :mad:

Actually it doesn't fully hang, if I have patience and go through the beach ball to kill safari , everything comes back to life (which is a great testament to the stability of Mac OS X). However, it is very frustrating having to wait for several minutes every morning until the machine slowly respond to my commands.

I've reported this many times to Apple, and I was hopeful that 6.0.2 was going to fix it, given that there was a reported rework of memory allocation. I've seen this also on a MB Pro I have, so I'm sure it is not limited to my iMac.

Are others seen the same stuff? Any workarounds? I really like safari and I'd rather not go to Firefox or Chrome :shudder: if I can avoid it.

can.rules

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Are you running Mountain Lion?
I've had far less problems with Safari in ML

Yes, running ML and just upgraded this week to the latest Safari. Still no luck. I've seen this for a while, pretty sure I saw it on Lion as well.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
MacRumors :)

Some newspapers: thestar.com, eud.com

I'd suggest removing one website at a time and see if the trend continues.

For example, first only keep macrumors and thestar.com open. If the problem stops, you'll know it was eud.com causing the issue. You can test by opening eud.com up and checking.

Repeat for the other sites.

It's not necessarily a problem with the website, but perhaps they are doing something that is triggering the memory leak in Safari. If you can find a way to recreate the problem let me know and I'll file a bug report with Apple. You can do so yourself, but I'd be happy to if you can find the site that causes it. (if it is a site).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.