Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad 3 upgrade

• iPad 4

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • iPad Mini

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Stay with iPad 3

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Waiting for iPad 5

Votes: 24 21.6%

• Total voters

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
This. The resale value on the 3 is shot. Especially, if you have an LTE model like me

[QUOTE=SandboxGeneral;16218350]I intend to keep mine.[/QUOTE]

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I can check all those boxes.

I sold my wifes iPad3 to get an iPad4 that she will use until the iPad5 and I sold my iPad3 in June and used that money to buy two iPad Mini's (One for me one for the kid).

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Damn, you poll posters always miss the most important options.

In this case: Keep iPad 3 and buy iPad Mini.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
I went with iPad 4 *and* a Mini. It was an excellent decision for me.

Both have major strengths, and serve their own purposes well.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I can check all those boxes.

I sold my wifes iPad3 to get an iPad4 that she will use until the iPad5 and I sold my iPad3 in June and used that money to buy two iPad Mini's (One for me one for the kid).

How did you sell yours? How much did you get? I'm having a hard time selling mine. :(

----------

I'm moving to a base Mini but it's more because I lost my job and need to cut back. I'm trying to cut back on gear without compromise. Switching to a Mac Mini from a 27 inch iMac and Switching to a iPad Mini from a iPad 3 LTE.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
I probably would have upgraded to the 4 since I do a lot of iMovie making on it and the 3 lags some. I'm keeping the 3 until the redesigned (and hopefully lighter) 5 comes out. In the meantime, got a Mini and love it. I'm REALLY glad I didn't upgrade to the 4 since the money went into a Mini it's awesome. The three will do, and will be used less anyway since the Mini is going be the one that goes in the bag with me.

Morehouse1982

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
For me it was all about portability. So I decided to sell my iPad 3 and get the mini. I'm glad I made the choice. The screen on the mini is fine, in my opinion. Fortunately on the day the iPad mini and 4 were announced, I was able to lock in my resell price for my 64 gig iPad 3 for $500 through gazelle.com. This thing is freakishly light.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I sold my ipad 2 64GB wifi for $420 (perfect condition) on craigslist 2 weeks ago.

My ipad 3 64GB Verizon LTE has 3 dents on the corner cause the lightweight cover I used didn't protect it from my 2 year old using it. Nothing is wrong with the ipad 3 LTE.

As the other poster said, resale value is shot for LTE models especially when I have 3 minor dents. Maybe get $500 for my model, Amazon is giving me $465 for model I paid $829 plus taxes. Not worth it.

So I am keeping it. I need 2 ipads around the house anyways cause of the 2 year old. My wife never touches the iPad. So I went out and brought both iPad mini 16GB and iPad 4 64GB wifi ($40 target gift card).

Don't like the ipad mini screen. So I am keeping the ipad 4 64GB Wifi and putting it in same military case Griffith I have my ipad 3.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I was happy to side grade to the Mini though. Mini's Size and weight > ipad 3's Retina Display.

That is a fine trad off in my opinion.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Bought the four, and I'm glad I did...I got top $ for my three which helped, but the large spec upgrade was the main reason...I wasn't expecting anything more from the keynote other than a lightning port and a couple of little bumps. I'm really pleased with my new one.

vince.

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2011
In the day and a half that I've had the mini, I see it more of a COMPLEMENT to the iPad3 rather than a replacement.

So far, I can't see myself getting rid of the iPad3 simply because of the bigger size and retina display. When I first used the mini, the text didn't seem too bad, especially when reading in landscape. However, last night while reading/surfing for an hour or so, the text on screen really started to wear on my eyes.

After a while, you really start to notice how bad the text is in portrait orientation, even with the mini a normal distance from your eye (worse, of course, if you're holding it relatively close).

So, for now, I'm keeping the iPad3 and complementing with the Mini. If the 3 gets little to no use the next few weeks, it will likely be sold to fund a MBA

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I thought about it and put my v3 on CL.
I asked what I considered a low, but fair price.
MINT. smart case and box for $350 less than full cost.
very little interest and no offers.

Apple F'd the resale of the v3 with this v4
It will be awhile before I upgrade.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
I thought about it and put my v3 on CL.
I asked what I considered a low, but fair price.
MINT. smart case and box for $350 less than full cost.
very little interest and no offers.

Apple F'd the resale of the v3 with this v4
It will be awhile before I upgrade.

Amazon is offering a reasonable amount of money for a trade in. I just listed my 3 so if I don't get any bites, I'll just fall back on Amazon. It's Amazon credit though so gotta keep that in mind.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Love my 3 and have an iPhone 5, with those devices I have small and large screen sizes covered. No need to get a mini and nothing released software wise can't be played on either one or the other. Ill keep the $329 for another year.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Amazon is offering a reasonable amount of money for a trade in. I just listed my 3 so if I don't get any bites, I'll just fall back on Amazon. It's Amazon credit though so gotta keep that in mind.

It seems like the trade in value on the iPad 3 is low. It is only 7 mts old and the 4 looks the same with a faster a6x. I would think I could do better than 59 % of what I paid.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
i love the retina and since i only use it to surf the web and look at photos i won't upgrade until the body has changed

That is great reasoning. I would like to have all my devices using lighting. Now I need different cords or expensive adapters. I refuse to buy the adapters. I will just carry multiple cords.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.