Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wedlock

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
St Willebrord , The Netherlands
Well I tried several things and it cost me a lot of sweat/stress but I did it :D
The way it worked for me was by using the SSD as a usb device and installing Mountain Lion from the Recovery Partition.
Then I installed the ssd drive into the mini and started it up......when i saw the apple logo on the screen i could almost cry of happiness hahahaha....

Tested the read/write speeds and they came in at 409/476 mbps respectively.
I'm a happy user now :p

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
So Internet Recovery should allow me to install a fresh copy of Mountain Lion onto the SSD Drive without an Issue (apart from it taking forever) ??

Also will Internet Recovery create a Recovery Partition on the SSD for me? or is it just not needed in the future if im going to use Internet Recovery from now on?

pxbr

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
internet recovery will create a new os install + create a new recovery partition too (there are occasions when it can fail to create the recovery partition but those are rare) - internet recovery works - it just takes a long time

- if you're in the habit of doing occasional os rebuild/reinstalls my advice, once you have os up & running, or before you start pulling drives out, go ahead & do this to create a local usb installer:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110831105634716

it does work for mountain lion too (article says lion)

supposedly app store os x 10.8.3 will have the recent hardware updates incorporated, so then you'll be able to go back to the regular way (manual extract from app store & or lion disk maker) instructions here:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-lion-install-disk/

apologies to any mods noticing a recurring theme here (me posting this to multiple threads) - maybe we need an install 'sticky' or update to one of the guides - but, there are a lot of people who just got brand new hardware wondering why they're getting grey stop signs trying to install ml from the app store via usb. I went through this same experience last week.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
A few well written guides turned into Stickies would be great and should help allot of people :)

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Are there two HD slots in the non-server Mac Mini

I read through this thread and it seems like everyone is installing this second hard drive into a regular Mac Mini, but I wanted to just double check for sure.

I was going to purchase the Mac Mini Server for the dual harddrive, but if the regular one can support two SSD's then there is no need for me to fork out the extra money.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
I read through this thread and it seems like everyone is installing this second hard drive into a regular Mac Mini, but I wanted to just double check for sure.

I was going to purchase the Mac Mini Server for the dual harddrive, but if the regular one can support two SSD's then there is no need for me to fork out the extra money.

that depends on how much you would have to spend for the second harddrive and the connector kit you will have to buy (+ postage and tax, depending on where you live) if you get the standard single-hdd Mac Mini (to help you with the decision if the mini server is more expensive or not ;)

Last edited:

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007

All the Minis support two drives (SSD or HDD, or combination). I bought the mid level one and added a SSD to have that and the OEM HDD installed.

trancinchino

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
that depends on how much you would have to spend for the second harddrive and the connector kit you will have to buy (+ postage and tax, depending on where you live) if you get the standard single-hdd Mac Mini (to help you with the decision if the mini server is more expensive or not ;)

Well, the end product I want is to have the Mac Mini with two SSD's. Money is not really an issue, but of course I want to save where possible. I'm looking to get the 2.6ghz i7, which starts at $899 base. The Mac Mini Server with the 2.6ghz i7 starts at $1099 base. If the connector is not worth $200 then, it should ultimately be cheaper to get the standard Mac Mini.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Hi everyone,

Can I add to this. I am also possibly interested in carrying out this operation (I'm in the UK).

I bought a mac mini on amazon and it's the bottom end one with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and I've added 8GB RAM a month ago when I read that was the maximum it supported (yeah, nice one instructions book!). I bought this as I had never used a mac before so decided to go in at entry level first in case I thought it was no good. Needless to say, my plan has backfired slightly!

It's still a bit laggy in adobe fireworks though when working with large images, everything else not actually being that bad (mostly web stuff, xcode/text wrangler/filezilla, stuff like that, not so demanding on the cpu). So I'm wondering if someone could tell me whether an upgrade to an SSD for the operating system/applications and 16GB RAM would make any difference to me (apart from lighten my wallet).

After all, the images would be on the standard hard drive anyway so would be reading/writing to that.

Bearing in mind I haven't got £1700 for an iMac but could sell this for around £380 to put towards something a touch more expensive. Not doing anything yet though until I can get some feedback from people with more experience in this than me.

Thanks.

Sam.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Hi everyone,

Can I add to this. I am also possibly interested in carrying out this operation (I'm in the UK).

I bought a mac mini on amazon and it's the bottom end one with 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 and I've added 8GB RAM a month ago when I read that was the maximum it supported (yeah, nice one instructions book!). I bought this as I had never used a mac before so decided to go in at entry level first in case I thought it was no good. Needless to say, my plan has backfired slightly!

It's still a bit laggy in adobe fireworks though when working with large images, everything else not actually being that bad (mostly web stuff, xcode/text wrangler/filezilla, stuff like that, not so demanding on the cpu). So I'm wondering if someone could tell me whether an upgrade to an SSD for the operating system/applications and 16GB RAM would make any difference to me (apart from lighten my wallet).

After all, the images would be on the standard hard drive anyway so would be reading/writing to that.

Bearing in mind I haven't got £1700 for an iMac but could sell this for around £380 to put towards something a touch more expensive. Not doing anything yet though until I can get some feedback from people with more experience in this than me.

Thanks.

Sam.

I have the base model with 16gb of RAM and seems to be fine in Fireworks and Photoshop.

I also have the SSD ready to go in but waiting for the kit to turn up from the US so I can fit it.

From experience you notice your SSD more when booting (super quick) and saving/transferring files.

I would try the same setup as me, which shouldn't be that expensive:

- Upgrade Memory to 16gb - Crucial
- Buy kit to allow you to install second Hard Drive - Other World Computing
- Purchase a 120gb SSD as Boot Drive - Ebuyer
- Use original HDD as Data Drive.

Just my opinion, im sure people will have others too :)

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for the reply, it's very helpful.

How would transferring files be any quicker if the files are held on the standard drive and the OS is on the SSD?

I'm coming from a pc background so I'm used to my phenom II x6 (running at 3.71GHz) and a separate HD Radeon graphics card.

It's a clever strategy from apple as the iMac is superior in power but they tempt you in with the cheaper mac minis! This mini isn't exactly what I'd call 'slow' as I don't do gaming or anything but with multiple programs open, it's certainly slower than the old pc. However, os x is absolutely superb, and this is coming from a dedicated windows user since win95.

The problem with the basic iMac too is the smaller screen. Everything is tailored at you spending more and more, very clever pricing strategy, hats off to them though, they have great products!

Sam.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
UK

How would transferring files be any quicker if the files are held on the standard drive and the OS is on the SSD?

I'm coming from a pc background so I'm used to my phenom II x6 (running at 3.71GHz) and a separate HD Radeon graphics card.

It's a clever strategy from apple as the iMac is superior in power but they tempt you in with the cheaper mac minis! This mini isn't exactly what I'd call 'slow' as I don't do gaming or anything but with multiple programs open, it's certainly slower than the old pc. However, os x is absolutely superb, and this is coming from a dedicated windows user since win95.

The problem with the basic iMac too is the smaller screen. Everything is tailored at you spending more and more, very clever pricing strategy, hats off to them though, they have great products!

Sam.

I meant transfer speeds in general, for example if you later got an external SSD or replaced the other internal with an SSD.

Hope this helps :)

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

Your Mini should turbo up to 2.9GHz if you are just using one core (and with what you're doing it sounds like you're usually just using one core) and that should be pretty comparable to a 3.7GHz AMD core, if not faster.

So the only reason why your Mini should feel slower than your Athlon (unless you're doing multi-core stuff) is because it has a slower (5400 RPM) hard drive. Replace that drive with an SSD and any difference will go away.

And yes, an SSD will make your Mini much faster. True, maybe your big Photoshop files are on a regular hard drive, but all the small files involved with booting and running Photoshop will be on the SSD and you will see a big improvement.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
I meant transfer speeds in general, for example if you later got an external SSD or replaced the other internal with an SSD.

Hope this helps :)

Yes, thanks.

Your Mini should turbo up to 2.9GHz if you are just using one core (and with what you're doing it sounds like you're usually just using one core) and that should be pretty comparable to a 3.7GHz AMD core, if not faster.

So the only reason why your Mini should feel slower than your Athlon (unless you're doing multi-core stuff) is because it has a slower (5400 RPM) hard drive. Replace that drive with an SSD and any difference will go away.

And yes, an SSD will make your Mini much faster. True, maybe your big Photoshop files are on a regular hard drive, but all the small files involved with booting and running Photoshop will be on the SSD and you will see a big improvement.

Ok, so I'm getting pretty excited now to give it a shot, at £70.00 in the link above and $45 for the kit, I can't go far wrong, got no problem with cracking it open.

Just two more things:

1) What do you mean by turbo up? Overclocking manually or an automatic thing?
2) Does installing an SSD invalidate apple care as they only suggest changing RAM?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Sam.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Well, the end product I want is to have the Mac Mini with two SSD's. Money is not really an issue, but of course I want to save where possible. I'm looking to get the 2.6ghz i7, which starts at $899 base. The Mac Mini Server with the 2.6ghz i7 starts at $1099 base. If the connector is not worth $200 then, it should ultimately be cheaper to get the standard Mac Mini.

It will be cheaper to get install the SSD's yourself, the 256GB Samsung 830's are available for 150€ in Germany right now, + 80€ for the connector kit. Thats 380€ for dual SSD's + the Mac mini in whatever config you buy.

sc25893

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
Is the kit used for the drive change in the mac mini also useful for performing the same operation on an iMac.

I only ask because I'm not sure which I will get but will get the kit anyway if it's going to be useful whichever I choose. Ahem, can afford...

Thanks.

Sam.

Uncle Meat

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
iirc the OWC data doubler has a spudger. It should help in preventing breaking anything. slowly and carefully

I just tried installing the OWC 2nd drive kit in my new 2012 Mini. Didn't get very far -- broke off the fan connector. After reading reports about people breaking off IR connectors, I was being especially careful. I spent about 10 minutes working the fan connector, from different angles and with two spudgers at once. The thing wouldn't budge but then the whole connector assembly snapped off the main board without warning. I've successfully taken apart many Apple laptops and have been done a lot of hardware work. I would strongly warn against using this kit.

I wrote to OWC and here's what they offered:

OWC Dennis: [5:21:25 PM] I am so sorry to hear that. The fan plug on the MM 2012 is very fragile. You will need to contact an Apple authorized dealer to get the [sic] replaced.

So, now I'm left with a brand new, broken Mac Mini plus the embarrassment of going to an Apple store to pay for a main board replacement. After I pay for all that, I still don't have my new SSD installed. So, I get to send it all off to OWC and pay them $100 to install it?

Honestly people, this Apple policy of making their hardware difficult to service is driving me toward building a hackintosh or just running Linux.

milkmandan

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
I just tried installing the OWC 2nd drive kit in my new 2012 Mini. Didn't get very far -- broke off the fan connector. After reading reports about people breaking off IR connectors, I was being especially careful. I spent about 10 minutes working the fan connector, from different angles and with two spudgers at once. The thing wouldn't budge but then the whole connector assembly snapped off the main board without warning. I've successfully taken apart many Apple laptops and have been done a lot of hardware work. I would strongly warn against using this kit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGnXdwvabg&t=01m50s
Did you try it that way? it pops upward.
sorry for your loss. :\

Plenty of people have had no problems with that, it is usually the IR connector that is more fragile, not sure why your fan connector was being so fritzy and why the whole thing popped off. Those things are soldered on :\

Last edited:

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

I wrote to OWC and here's what they offered:

OWC Dennis: [5:21:25 PM] I am so sorry to hear that. The fan plug on the MM 2012 is very fragile. You will need to contact an Apple authorized dealer to get the [sic] replaced.

So, now I'm left with a brand new, broken Mac Mini plus the embarrassment of going to an Apple store to pay for a main board replacement. After I pay for all that, I still don't have my new SSD installed. So, I get to send it all off to OWC and pay them $100 to install it?

Honestly people, this Apple policy of making their hardware difficult to service is driving me toward building a hackintosh or just running Linux.

I know it's a little late but you're not suppose to use the spudger tool to remove the fan wire. Everything I've read and seen is that you pull the wire straight up to remove it. The spudger tool is for the IR and hard drive connector.

propower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I am truly sorry for the person that damaged a connector attempting this!!

2) Does installing an SSD invalidate apple care as they only suggest changing RAM?

YES!

External SSD on USB3 is 90% the speed of internal and costs the price of the SSD + $40 for the case. No warranty issues. Hooked up just as fast as you can plug the connector in. Is it really worth modding the mini??

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1483374/

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
OWC service

I am curious to know what happens when you send in a MM for the second drive cable install.
If I elect for an SSD to be installed, do they leave the original drive in the MM?
Their blurb on the service page suggests that the original hard drive will be returned.

Guess I misunderstood the service, I thought $99 included the extra drive cable....but clearly not.

Last edited:

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
For the guys in the uk who bought the OWC kit, any particular issues with the shipping at all, or was it fine? I work it out to be about £50 delivered, delivery seems a bit steep, but there doesn't seem to be an alternative.

The low end is good enough for me, but I need more HD capacity. I actually have another 500gb 7200 drive spare, so trying to figure out what to do.

Grateful if anyone in the UK can share there OWC experience.
No problems with shipping but the customs fee was about £13, of which something like £8 goes to Royal Mail for customs handling fee

nikolajlr

macrumors member
May 11, 2011
Denmark
Old world customers can get quite a selection of different kits from http://www.macupgrade.eu in Belgium (I'm not affiliated, just a happy customer - low shipment costs and fast service).

Remember to browse the site with VAT applied (link at top) if you're an end-user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.