Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which is best for running Windows for gaming?

• Bootcamp

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • VMware

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Fusion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Need to set up windows on my personal Macs. At work I run Windows through VMWare which is fine for apps like MS Project but it doesn't seem very snappy.

What does everyone recommend if the primary purpose of the install is for gaming?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
If you want games, use Boot Camp.

If you want office applications, VMware Fusion or Parallels is fine

If you want 3D Performance but don't want to reboot into Boot Camp, Parallels

If you want stability and don't care about performance, VMware Fusion

I personally use Parallels for a Windows install on my OSX for personal use. It has some applications that are Windows Only, such as Quicken and Chinese programs.

For work, I use VMware Fusion because my scanner has issues under Parallels. Sometimes it'll connect, sometimes it won't. Fusion doesn't have this issue.

As long as there's enough ram and both products aren't fighting over a single USB device or whatnot, you can run both at the same time.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I use VMware, the only reason why I ever need to run Windows is to test the websties I make on IE.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Why do you need to use windows? If its absolutely necessary I recommend buying a windows pc.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
However, for apps that don't need that performance, the compromise is lost time rebooting, no access to data stored on your mac partition, etc.

Actually now you can actually access your Macintosh HD when you use Bootcamp, no need to install third party software to access your Mac drives..

To the OP, no question Bootcamp will give you native performance, If you plan on gaming Bootcamp is the way to go.. I'd also use Bootcamp If your doing processor or graphics heavy tasks..

But running software like Microsoft Word for example I'd say would be perfectly fine using VMware..

paolol61

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Tuscany, Italy
I think Bootcamp is TOP performer for games, but most of the time I also use Parrallel (Fusion until few month ago ) with good result , just lovered the graphich setting and all was working fine, graphics setting are the one that affect performance on VM as the videocard is emulated by software.
:)

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
However, for apps that don't need that performance, the compromise is lost time rebooting, no access to data stored on your mac partition, etc.

ofcourse ;)
as for me, i use graphic and cpu intensive programs such as CAD, Revit and 3dsMax.. so native is best

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Where is a Parallels Desktop option? And why there are two options for VMware Fusion? Seems a little biased :rolleyes:

Sesshy

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
I don't understand why four people in the poll voted for VMWare. Who would ever attempt gaming in a virtual machine environment?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I don't understand why four people in the poll voted for VMWare. Who would ever attempt gaming in a virtual machine environment?

Whilst I didn't vote...

Conceivably, if you want to run OLD windows games, VMware or Parallels can be better than bare metal. Why?

If the game won't work in Windows 7 (only say, XP or Windows 98) then you will have a hell of a time trying to get boot camp to run that, and performance with VMware is "good enough" in that instance.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I use a combination of Boot Camp and Parallels (to virtualize my Boot Camp partition). I can boot into Windows if I need to do something that requires a lot of processing power; else, I'm able to run my Windows install in Parallels without rebooting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.