Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The way I see it, given how awesome the Nexus 7 is (no sarcasm - I love mine), the iPad Mini must be truly phenomenal in order for the Nexus 7 experience to be really poor when compared to it. ;-)

I've used both and I prefer iPad for the apple ecosystem. Not the N7 extensively but as one debating getting one over the mini to save a few dollars I am way happier with the mini.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
This is just the same old iOS vs android debate. Android let's you do more, if you invest time unit, it can be abetter experience. iOS boxes you into what apple thinks you will like and gives you little wiggle room.

Out of the box iOS is better hands down, the browser, mail app, camera etc etc are well polished and function well. And that's dandy for some. But others want to take it further. I happen to like icab mobile more then safari on ios, it allows me to use gestures heavily within browser, pull to refresh, save forms and a whole range of options I like. Yet I cannot set it as my default browser and apple won't allow it to have the same performance as safari. This pisses me off as I don't like safari. Android let's me pick whichever browser I want as default. Google don't care if I don't default to chrome.

Thr video player on iOS doesn't suit me, it's to boxed in to mp4 and iTunes, android isn't much better, but there's a whole bunch of media players which I can try and can set default to the one I like, iOS doesn't allow this.

This is the sort of thing I don't like about ios. Mail app is better then anything android has, so no contest there, but that's about it.

cdf3

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012
Just like Apple used to say, the i<stuff> "just works". 70% of the Nexus is a struggle:

I have both an iPad and a Nexus 7. I enjoy using both devices. I tend to use the Nexus 7 more because of its form factor, and it's ability to share documents and pictures to numerous services with ease.

70% of the Nexus is a struggle??? I'd say this is not true at all.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
I had the Nexus 7 for a while, and I got rid of it. I love the mini though, probably because iOS is so polished.

Same here. Last time I used an android device, it was with Donut 1.6 so when the Nexus 7 came out, I decided to give it a try. Sold it few weeks ago. Got the iPad mini yesterday. IMO there is no competition, mostly because of apps.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Returned my Nexus 7

The moment I saw that the iPad Mini was lighter and had a bigger screen than the Nexus, I returned the Nexus (still had 1 day left to return it). Got a Mini on Friday and feel it's much more useful. And better for watching movies at night and for reading, because it's lighter. Of course, I own about 35 ios apps, and am happy I don't have to buy them again. Also feel that the apps on Android tend to be inferior to the same ones on ios, maybe because they have to run on a zillion different devices.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I'm sorry but the most important thing to me is the display. And the Mini sucks by comparison. Which is why my Mini is awaiting collection by Apple.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
I own an iPad 2, iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 is a great tablet. First off you can choose your browser and make it the default. The Dolphin browser is great as is Chrome. You also get way more flexibility with the Nexus because Android is a much more open O/S. I installed the Nova launcher and it really opened my eyes to the flexibility and power of Android.

I love the way the back button works on Android. Open an email in iOS and click a link and Safari is your only option. Then to get back to the email app you have to double click the home button and find the mail app. With Android just hit the back button and you are back in your email app. This is really slick and that back button works on every app.

Next try some Live Wallpaper. WOW is that neat stuff. Add a notification tool bar app and you can easily disable WiFi, Blue Tooth or other options very quickly without navigating through the iOS setup menus.

On a negative, the dedicated Android apps don't touch the iPad. iPad has Android beat by a good margin.

The Nexus 7 is $199 vs iPad Mini $329 and the Nexus 7 screen res is 1280x800 vs iPad mini's 1024x768.

I like my Nexus 7 so much I am tempted to get a 10" Android tablet and replace my iPad's. The clincher for me is I can finally get away from iTunes, which is the worst experience in the world. Also the Google Play store is a lot faster than iOS 6's app store. I also love the way Google play works on your desktop when installing apps on the tablet.

Anybody considering a mini should really look at the Nexus. It's worth jumping ship.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You want to talk about frustrating? Trying to access settings of certain apps on my iPad can be an exercise in frustration.

Certain apps' settings are in the iOS Settings page, while others are in the app itself. It can get confusing and I sometimes find myself having to navigate back and forth because I forgot which app has settings where.

Example:

Gmail settings:

P52yS.png

Facebook settings:

diIAU.png

With Android, there's always a dedicated menu button for each App. And many of the settings can be toggled with one button. Try browsing Safari and switching to Private browsing. Count how many steps that takes. It takes two in Chrome (Menu... New Incognito Tab).

----------

Also, Swyping on a tablet is so much better than typing on it. Can't wait for 4.2's Gesture Typing.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Next try some Live Wallpaper. WOW is that neat stuff. Add a notification tool bar app and you can easily disable WiFi, Blue Tooth or other options very quickly without navigating through the iOS setup menus.

If you want to try a gorgeous live wallpaper, check out Ocean HD and for widgets "widgets HD". The combination of both will offer serious eye candy. I bought both of them during Google's 25c sale.

Hint, there maybe another sale coming up as Google announced 700K app milestone. :)

M

Mr.damien

So, when Apple kept track of everywhere your iDevice had been since it was first turned on, that wasn't a privacy issue? When they make user-based ads require an opt-out on phones (in a way most users will never find and will, in fact, likely interpret in the way opposite to the way it actually works), that's not a privacy issue?

How is Google raping my privacy any more than that? I don't actually care if I get better, more targeted ads, so I don't see the problem. If you're that worried, just avoid Gmail, and Google won't know any more about you than Apple does... which is not to say Apple doesn't mine iCloud docs and email as well.

----------

I've always seen that as "When you are the product, things are cheaper or free."

I don't see it as a negative.
Yeah google is not doing anything more than not giving you the option to opt out. Not saying that the issue on Android was even worst because of Carrier because they chose a far more intrusive analyzer or that chrome is the only web navigator that doesn't have do not track option.

Know find me the Google black box, or the Apple's safari plugin that allow them to track all your life.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...-100-of-their-web-usage-via-little-black-box/

No need to answer, I know there is none ...

BTW is putting by yourself the tool to spy you is ok for a few cents, then good for you. I won't quote Benjamin Franklin again. Funny to see fandroid calling Apple fan iSheep when they are giving away their privacy like sheep.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Funny to see fandroid calling Apple fan iSheep when they are giving away their privacy like sheep.
You clearly have no idea who I am. I'm an former moderator here (left because life just became too busy) who usually defends Apple products. I am close to being in the top 10 posters still after essentially not posting for four entire years. No, wait, you've been here since 2006, so surely you recognize me.

The fact that I disagree with you regarding the relative levels of evil in Google vs Apple doesn't mean I'm a mindless fan or foe of either.

As far as Google's invasions of privacy are concerned, I'm aware of them, and they do not bother me. For the most part, I accept that privacy is a thing of the past.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Don't have a nexus yet. I still might get it despite hating the 2 Android tablets I've own.

Galaxy Tab 7" running Froyo. Froyo felt like a phone OS running on a tablet form factor. Buggy and freezes, requiring rebooting.

Acer Iconia 7" tablet running Gingerbread. Was pretty stable until I upgrade to ICS. The ICS interface is much nicer than Froyo and felt more like a tablet OS. Too bad ICS is also buggy on my Acer Iconia. Keep getting "application is not responding". Many android apps and games don't run on it. WiFi dies after it goes to sleep.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Don't have a nexus yet. I still might get it despite hating the 2 Android tablets I've own.

Galaxy Tab 7" running Froyo. Froyo felt like a phone OS running on a tablet form factor. Buggy and freezes, requiring rebooting.

Acer Iconia 7" tablet running Gingerbread. Was pretty stable until I upgrade to ICS. The ICS interface is much nicer than Froyo and felt more like a tablet OS. Too bad ICS is also buggy on my Acer Iconia. Keep getting "application is not responding". Many android apps and games don't run on it. WiFi dies after it goes to sleep.
I'd only played with Android a few times before getting the Nexus 7, and I'd hated it, but I'd heard good things about Jelly Bean, and they were right.

You might or might not like it, but JB4.1 (or 4.2, soon) on a Nexus 7 is entirely different than your prior experiences.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Let me see if i can sum the original post up.... I just purchased an ipad mini and have buyers remorse, but let me post this to create an Apple circle jerk where i can be the pivot man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with a great screen, wonderful flawless user experience as good as my wife's ipad3, all my apps found without issue on the Google Play store with $130in my pocket.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Let me see if i can sum the original post up.... I just purchased an ipad mini and have buyers remorse, but let me post this to create an Apple circle jerk where i can be the pivot man.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with a great screen, wonderful flawless user experience as good as my wife's ipad3, all my apps found without issue on the Google Play store with $130in my pocket.

I have an iPad Mini. No buyer's remorse so far.

I deeply regretted buying the two Android 7" tablets though.

I found the apps and games on the Google play store. Too bad it's listed as 'incompatible' with my android tablet. More buyer's remorse.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Say what you will, but you and I both know that our 7's don't have mono-crystalline diamond-cut edges, and surely mono-crystalline diamond-cut edges are worth at least $130.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
From someone who has both an iPad 2 (similar to mini) and a Nexus7, they are both excellent tablets.

Yes, android takes a bit of learning. Once you invest a little time in it, it opens up vast possibilities. Some of the claims, by the op, against the N7 are unfounded.

For one, screen rotation can be locked just as easy as on the iPad.

Definitely on the N7, the reading experience is better. The text is much crisper.
For me, on the N7, the default font is very readable; for others, it may not be. However, you can make it larger.

The mini's larger display is a bonus. But, with it's lower resolution, the advantages are lessened.

I'm not bashing the mini. In fact, I may sell my iPad 2 to get one. However, the N7 is a real good tablet and it's a solid competitor. At present, it is selling @ 1 million per month. With this, more developers will invest their time into more and better apps. The app gap will lessen.

Also, the sales indicate that price is a big factor. With it's low price, many ios fans are getting introduced to android. Their investment in the android ecosystem will grow.

From this competition, we, as consumers, will benefit. Apple's higher prices and higher margins may need to be lowered (well, I can hope). At least, Apple may include more, for the price.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
I've seen a few youtube reviews of the nexus 7, and I'm sorry but the operating system looks absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen something to convoluted and messy before. There are 8,000 things going on all at once, all over the screen.

Geez, I thought ICS was bad. Looks like android is only getting worse.

gquiring

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
SC
I've seen a few youtube reviews of the nexus 7, and I'm sorry but the operating system looks absolutely ridiculous. I've never seen something to convoluted and messy before. There are 8,000 things going on all at once, all over the screen.

Geez, I thought ICS was bad. Looks like android is only getting worse.
Try introducing someone to iTunes and iOS who have never seen or used them before. iTunes is another mess. Either way it's a learning curve no matter what you get.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009

With RIM Playbook I can have all my apps with additional $100-130 in my pocket over Nexus 7 as it runs Android apps :p But somehow I always notice those who denigrate iPad mini's high pricing themselves can't accept that Playbook might be a better option than Nexus 7 due to its lower price because they have to create a Nexus 7/Android "circle jerk".

My point is that everyone has a different threshold and needs when it comes to product vs. pricing. Someone will find $120-150 Playbook more than acceptable and can't understand why someone would buy a $210-$250 Nexus 7 when they are exactly the same form factor. Personally I find a 7" tablet too small for tablet apps and consider iPad mini's display as small as I'd accept for a tablet-specific apps.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I think ios is making people to stop thinking, the brain is nothing without challenges....

What are these "develop work applications" ?

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Try introducing someone to iTunes and iOS who have never seen or used them before. iTunes is another mess. Either way it's a learning curve no matter what you get.

iTunes is no longer required. I actually don't know anyone with an iOS device who still uses iTunes to sync.

On the other hand, I have seen iOS devices handed to everyone from small children, to grandmothers, and they were all able to figure it out just fine :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I highly doubt the OP has even touched a Nexus 7. If he / she has, then the post is still an obvious, deliberate trashing of Google & the Nexus 7.

I own a Nexus 7 as well as the iPad mini. Each has it's Pro's & Cons.

The most noticeable difference is the lower ppi of the mini. Why Apple failed to make it the same or close to as good as the N7 reflects their desire to cut costs in order to enjoy a higher profit.

Yet for a whopping $140 more than a Nexus, Apples proving they have no problem robbing us. While it's nothing new, the blatant way Apple does their profit taking is a bit disgusting. Just because we will pay it doesn't make it any better.

With the intro of this fresh new Nexus lineup consisting of the Nexus 4 phone, the Nexus 7 & 10 tablets, Google Android has, for the very first time, worthy direct competitors to Apple iDevices. Now things get interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.