Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Yet, she demonstrated she knew how a touch screen device worked. In this case, I have to guess it was the iPhone she knew how to operate since you ruled out the iPad.

The bottom line is your example disproved your own point.

If anything it shows the not so tech-savvy population adapts to or recognizes or is able to play with Apple's touch screen (iOS) devices rather well.

This isn't about touch screens. It's about tech knowledge in general. Yeah, she knows how a touch screen works, but there's no way she's going to know about the details of the iPad models.

----------

I think there is a cross-up here about the term "native app". Your tern of "native app" meant "application run natively on iOS devices" while others used the same term referring to "first party application pre-installed with iOS."

Well, others are wrong. "Native" does not mean that it's first-party. I've always seen it used to mean that it's compiled for that specific machine or something. Dictionary.com says:

Designed for or built into a given system, esp. denoting the language associated with a given processor, computer, or compiler, and programs written in it

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I like this one a lot. Not only is it very entertaining, but it shows off what Android lacks: audio apps.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Love the video and this is why I hate to say this: the two iPads are not aligned horizontally :(

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
If I was someone who didn't know what an iPad does, this video makes me think that the iPad is a $329 digital piano.

Mark my words, you'll see more commercials. This is just one, and it makes a statement that apparently is lost on you. Luckily for Apply, there are millions of people who will get this ad and appreciate the creativity and subtlety it use to engage the audience.

SirHaakon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2007
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.
Everyone knows what Coke is... why do they continue to advertise?

You don't only advertise to "announce" a product, you advertise to keep it relevant.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Then why advertise? If someone knows what an iPad is, I'm pretty sure that someone is familiar with apps. And apps means a lot of things. Including digital piano.

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

Because it evokes positive emotion which people would tie to the product and influence their decision. It smartly shows the difference between the two devices as well.

Honestly anyone who has no idea what an iPad is a does is not likely to buy one nor have the resources to do so. This was a tv commercial. Have the shows on tv have iPads being used in them.

You are confusing how an unknown product type and brand should advertise vs the largest company in the world on one of their most famous product lines.

You think apple should just list a spec sheet and give a usage demo? The original iPad commercials did show what it is however where apple will place these ads are in shows where viewers are well aware of what an iPad does. You think if hp ran an ad for a pf they should show you how to install windows?

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

Good work advertising, Apple. Instead of showing the key features of the iPad, making it look like a digital piano is more important. The digital piano isn't even a built in app.

More likely scenario: nobody watching this commercial, and I do mean almost literally nobody, thinks that device is a digital piano. Wow; remind me never to consult you on advertising campaigns. This one by Apple is nothing short of brilliant.

:rolleyes:

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
No no .. you are all missing the point .. this 'new Apple' (post Steve Jobs) advertisement is trying to explain how you cannot touch type on a iPad Mini and will have to resort to one-finger fiddle instead ... see?. Oh wait. Thats not a good thing then is it?. Oh no .. not another cock up ... bladdy 'ell ... right ...

Get me the advertising team in my office ... NOW! :mad:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Then show more apps! Of course the keyboard application will stay the same for even a smaller screen, how can you redesign it?
Then that leads me to a confusion where I have no idea if the iPad mini does exactly the same thing as the large iPad.
If they showed more apps, I'll be more certain that it does exactly the same thing.

Sometimes, simplicity is much more effective in conveying a message.

I'm not to fond of it. Apple can do better.

Personally, I think they did GREAT with this one. No words required!

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You'd never know it from their smartphone sales dominance. But if what you say is true, then I suppose Samsung would have even a more massive sales lead over Apple had the ad been different?

ANY company would give its left TIT to have the TRIBAL factor STILL going for it after all these years. In fact, it's safe to say its now historic. I can't recall ANY company been able to sustain such a "must have" anticipation factor built in to launches. That's marketing that is priceless and I think we ALL agree Samsung would kill for such loyalty. What people like you have to pray for is this... 1) Samsungs products live up to its own hype. 2) More customers mean more need for more CSR's 3) That former Apple customers (if these ads are so great and "effective" figure out that there is little or none of the above to "help"you -- they will flock back to Apple faster than... I mean I'm still running my Mac g5 from 2004 in my editing studio and can still get it serviced... Why would I abandon the long term LOYALTY Apple has shown me?

It's scary to think how narrow the scope of the mind has become of late. THANK GOD Apple isn't in the RACE to the bottom like many of you wish they were. Competent downsizing of its products while protecting its profits is sound and rational. Companies competing to soak the very market Apple created with over saturated devices with the VAST majority of consumers will never use or care about till they don't work and don't have a store or CSR to help them with.. That's the BOOM!!!

Imagine an Apple commercial that turns the Samsung Ad "strategy" around? It would be way more funny to highlight the cheap aspects of the Samsung builds, the TWO FOR ONE offers, fire sales, lack of great one on one support -- on and on.

Bottom line -- a great ad agency like the one Apple has would never, never respond except for the MASTERFUL video it prepared mocking Samsung in the keynote. It was brilliant. They are proud of the tribal experience and that video exploited it perfectly. Oh, a another brilliant move that went unnoticed generally here and in the ad world. BRILLIANT that they added a Apple channel on Apple TV. Watching it live in our board room was actually way cool. Connecting loyalty to the keynotes was genius.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Great ad showing that the mini has all the capabilities of its big brother. Alas, I will wait until it comes with retina display and the A6 or better. I just hope I don't have to wait too long.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I wish it was played with right and left hand... oh well...

----------

[QUOTE
I don't think it's possible to make an ad that everybody likes. But alas, it's Apple's fault for once again failing to to the impossible[/QUOTE]

What? I believe this is probably the best one that went underneath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_BEeHm4YV0

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
The guy on the right playing the 'mini' keyboard must be really talented, especially playing on such an awful dated low resolution touch screen.

mochatins

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2012
One of the missed points...

Some good insights into the commercial so far. What's been missed is in the music itself: the piece is a duet. The ipad mini will complement the ipad already in your household.

The ipad mini is shown off as just as competent as the regular ipad, and as a complement to the regular ipad if you already have one.

Collect all sizes and colours!

Ipodwanted

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012

That means that this video is targeted to people who doesn't know what an iPad is. And with the video, I'd think that it's a digital piano.

People advertise so that it will be stuck in you mind and be more attracted to that product. In that sense, this is the best advertisement ever.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011

i actually saw this on tv for the first time sitting next to my friends mom, who has an iPad, and therefore obviously knows what an ipad is, and when she saw it she said "wow can you really get an app like that on here??"

so its a great idea to use the familiarity of your brand to your advantage, and demonstrate functionalities that many people might not know about.

great commercial.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
ANY company would give its left TIT to have the TRIBAL factor STILL going for it after all these years.

No doubt many political parties and religions would do so as well.

----------

The guy on the right playing the 'mini' keyboard must be really talented, especially playing on such an awful dated low resolution touch screen.

What wasn't shown was how he sandpapered his fingers before starting. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.