Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
For me, the iPhone 5 isn't that much different where as the iphone 4 was a major-ish change to the 3Gs. The iphone 5 looks like an iphone 4 unless you inspect carefully or it is sitting next to an iphone 4. The iphone 5 really doesn't do me much more than my iphone 4 so I either keep my iphone 4 or go with a different device. No point in wasting $200 for a little bit thats not even awesome.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
There has definitely been a change in the last 2 years. I see way more Android phones out in the wild then i ever did before. Not the cheap freebies either. Higher end Android phones that we actually have to pay for so people are obviously choosing them over iPhone. Like many of the comments here I also prefer the freedom of Android. Going right down to the littlest of things I can completely customize my Android phone to my liking, my lifestyle, my taste. Android has now finally become a very stable and credible OS. The Apps are fantastic and there really isn't anything Apple has that Android doesn't.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
iOS is stale and boring (tired of jailbreaking). iPhones look like they've been used in drop test prior to shipping out (scuffs, dents, scratches, etc..)

Apple seems to care more about lawsuits than the quality and innovation of their devices.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Because the list of advantages that iOS and the iPhone have over Android and its hardware is growing shorter and shorter. Frankly, it's coming down to a few things, some of which, I think, are rather desperate. We're talking about people pointing out milliseconds in response time being deal breakers, or blowing up the supposedly major disparity of number and quality of apps, or people obfuscating with the whole "fragmentation" bogeyman.

The one, and only one advantage that Apple has that is invincible is their customer service.

Other than that, much of the advantages that iOS used to have are now highly debatable, highly challenged, and in many cases, no longer even an advantage. At the same time, the list of disadvantages iOS has over its competition is fast growing.

And people are starting to catch on...

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
There has definitely been a change in the last 2 years. I see way more Android phones out in the wild then i ever did before. Not the cheap freebies either. Higher end Android phones that we actually have to pay for so people are obviously choosing them over iPhone. Like many of the comments here I also prefer the freedom of Android. Going right down to the littlest of things I can completely customize my Android phone to my liking, my lifestyle, my taste. Android has now finally become a very stable and credible OS. The Apps are fantastic and there really isn't anything Apple has that Android doesn't.

These is true, i dont see much android devices here but the ones you see are the expensive so its not like they cant afford a iphone.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Those that go from iOS to android coke back once they see all the flaws and how crappy the Samsung hardware are

Both ios and android have flaws.

Crappy hardware??! Like? Sounds like the ip5 hardware might be more of a fashion accessory for you...

I have both. Love my iphone 5, bored with ios. Was shocked how much i liked the s3, even ended up buying it. At least now when i travel i get proper maps ;)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like the ip5 hardware might be more of a fashion accessory...

This is really what it's come down to.

When I had the iPhone 4S, it was a love and hate regarding the status symbol. I felt included but also a conformist.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Radical changes are needed with the iphone....
- a much larger screen (i.e. 4.7")
- live homescreen apps

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Those that go from iOS to android coke back once they see all the flaws and how crappy the Samsung hardware are

You say that but after going from iphone since the 3g came out to now the note 2 just for some thing different I have just found out what I have been missing. Sure apple does some stuff better they both have pros and cons but for me the android pros outweigh the ios cons. 2 years ago I wouldn't even dream of switching but to be honest I feel only Android is going forward at the moment. Let's hope Apple picks up their game.

----------

One of the best things I've found since getting the note 2 is how long battery life is. Even tho I can swap my battery out I have no need to.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The Android manufacturers are figuring out their own roles. It's basically come down to:

Samsung: wants to give you a removable battery and SD expansion.
LG: Wants to offer premium uni-body builds.
Motorola: Wants to offer uni-body builds with amazing battery life.
HTC: Premium build.

It's probably a little more diverse than that, so feel free to amend what I have there.

The point is, Android offers choice. If plastic isn't for you, then I guess removable batteries aren't for you either. Go with HTC, LG, or Moto.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Android is much easier to use than ios for many common tasks. Apple's ios is convoluted to even copy pictures or files.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Android is much easier to use than ios for many common tasks. Apple's ios is convoluted to even copy pictures or files.

I would word it different. iOS is extremely easy to use for the tasks Apple lets you do. For anything else, you will have to jailbreak and/or jump through hoops. When iOS first released, the average user was not smartphone savvy and didn't have a billion expectations. Now things have changed and Apple hasn't really done much about it because they really don't have to yet. That can't last forever though.

MikeAK

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
I would word it different. iOS is extremely easy to use for the tasks Apple lets you do. For anything else, you will have to jailbreak and/or jump through hoops. When iOS first released, the average user was not smartphone savvy and didn't have a billion expectations. Now things have changed and Apple hasn't really done much about it because they really don't have to yet. That can't last forever though.

A very excellent point and one that I think nails it. I think the habits, skills and expectations of the smartphone user have grown. Apple now feels like a "dumb down" phone in my opinion. My best pal is still using an iPhone and every time I play around with it I am bored with in minutes. There is absolutely nothing to it. Android can keep me busy for hrs with just simply tweaking and customizing. Different strokes for diff folks.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
I switched from a 4s to a galaxy s3 after my 4s developed a fault. With my replacement I had the option of selling it and getting the 5, or going for the galaxy s3 instead. The 5 didn't wow me and I also realised that I'd at least need the 32gb version and couldn't justify the extra cost. With the s3 I could relatively cheaply upgrade the memory.
I'm glad that I've made the switch after being a little dubious after a bad experience with Android 2 years ago.
I'm now struggling to sell my iphone 4S which I'm surprised about. Either it's because of the economic climate, or iphones just aren't as desirable anymore, but either way I can't shift it!

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
People get bored with a static UI. And that's ok.

Those people are not the target market though. 2 million people will take your friends' place in the proverbial line to get the 5.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I agree with most of what you said here regarding the average consumer, but even tasks that iOS allows are not always easy to do. For example, switching Safari to private browsing takes 6 steps. Turning on and off WiFi requires going into Settings and finding it, then switching it, then exiting Settings. Android allows me to toggle these settings with one hit from my home screen.

Likewise, certain apps' settings are in the iOS Settings page, while others are in the app itself. It can get confusing and I sometimes find myself having to navigate back and forth because I forgot which app has settings where. With Android, there's always a dedicated menu button.

Example:

Gmail settings:

P52yS.png

Facebook settings:

diIAU.png

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I agree with most of what you said here regarding the average consumer, but even tasks that iOS allows are not always easy to do. For example, switching Safari to private browsing takes 6 steps. Turning on and off WiFi requires going into Settings and finding it, then switching it, then exiting Settings. Android allows me to toggle these settings with one hit from my home screen.

Likewise, certain apps' settings are in the iOS Settings page, while others are in the app itself. It can get confusing and I sometimes find myself having to navigate back and forth because I forgot which app has settings where. With Android, there's always a dedicated menu button.

Example:

Gmail settings:

Facebook settings:

Yea, I agree with you on that and made the same point on another thread. It was mainly about scattered settings. Since the first time I used iOS, I never understood why some settings of an app are placed under the main iOS settings while the rest are placed within the app itself. I guess it was Apple's attempt to keep apps as clean as possible. Who knows?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm planning on getting the Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I find the stylus enormously useful for situations I find myself in all the time (people on the phone and give me info I need to "write" down) and the speeds are blazing fast, no lag throughout the OS which I find amazing, its also the reason why that will be my first Android phone because I think its up to par with iOS speeds.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Forget it

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.44.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.44.28 PM.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.43.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.43.47 PM.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.53.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.53.24 PM.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.54.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-04 at 10.54.01 PM.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Most of my friends are thinking of upgrading their current 4 or 4S iPhones not to the iPhone 5... But either to Samsung Galaxy S3 or Note II. Is iPhone suddenly considered uncool now?

Everyone's not.

----------

Maybe they are bored with Apple. That's my reason I didn't buy the iphone 5 and am planning on a Samsung to replace my iphone 4s. iOS is just too stale, I see Apple as unwilling to innovate anymore. I will never rule out going back to Apple, but for now they just aren't for me anymore.

What would Apple be doing if they were innovating, in your view?

And don't say wireless charging and holographic displays! LOL

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Everyone's not.

----------

What would Apple be doing if they were innovating, in your view?

And don't say wireless charging and holographic displays! LOL

Just simple stuff really. Multi tasking seems to be the big one, not suspend state in background, but true multitasking where I can have at least 2 programs open at the same time, and I can drag information from one to the other. I'd also like to see more input methods, stylus input is pretty awesome, pressure sensitivity in drawing programs, handwriting recognition, simple note taking at meetings, etc. Also work on the keyboard, have a hardware solution like Microsoft did, refine the keyboard input once again like Microsoft did with their smart keyboard input. Some kind of file system to organize media at the very least.

These are just a very very few things they can consider, but heck how long did it take them to implement copy and paste or their fake multi tasking? Sorry, but I've been terribly spoiled these past couple of days on a real OS using my Samsung Windows 8 tablet, honestly I don't care much about iOS anymore other than to hope that they will innovate in the market due to competition and in that case everyone wins.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Apple started to lose me with Lion, iOS 6 and then nailed it with the quick upgrade of the iPad. Sure, they can upgrade whenever they want, I just felt slighted by it. The last few OS and iOS releases portrayed a trend which was reinforced in my mind that Apple is getting aggressive in its strategy to "force" users to upgrade expensive hardware at an ever accelrating pace by leaving out features and functionality that clearly could have been enabled on the older devices.

And then came the bugs, the half baked functions, the change of features and functions that were changed for no reason but to change them and even with that, they were executed poorly. (and please I do not need to type out examples, these forums are littered with them)

iOS and OSX no longer feels fresh or exciting, the product releases are small iterations generally speaking and new hardware is built for planned replacement cycles, no more user upgrades to extend life. To me, Apple is no longer about the user, it no longer "just works" there are so many issues, sometimes minor, sometimes major and the excuse now is "oh, you should upgrade to the newest XXXXXX product, it will work much better" line. What's worse is these OS' are not longer rock solid and stable as they once were; putting reliability in the OS in question in my mind....and I haven't even touched the disaster that is iCloud and iTunes Match.

So I tried Android 4.1 with the Nexus 7 and was blown away by its polish, its ability to make it fit MY lifestyle, MY way and not forced to do it Googles way. Is it perfect, nope, but it feels fresh, it feels modern and 4.2 from all reports is even better. Then the devices, maybe they do not use premium materials like Apple, but they give the users a ton of technology in an acceptable package for a reasonable price, often with the ability for the user to expand its abilities, such as using sd cards for expanded memory.

I feel Apple has lost its way in many regards, it has lost its way with being revolutionary, it contradicts itself in product and market and while offering still a great ecosystem hasn't shown me the future.

So for that, while I still own 13 Apple devices, and may always own Apple devices, two new Android devices will be in my house this month; change is good, I like to embrace it.

Apple should understand two things:

1. As a creator of high-end, closed, proprietary systems it needs to cater to its base. (That means maintaining trust).

2. Because it creates high-end, closed, proprietary systems it cannot compete directly with more open, cheaper systems. (This means it must be content with relatively small marketshare).

Shareholders expect continuous growth, but Apple cannot directly compete against its competitors without making lower quality products and becoming more open, thereby becoming its competitors. But by becoming its competitors it loses its soul and risks perishing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.