Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Both apps have been showing only a couple of minutes remaining for 2+ hours. There is also a small window stating that Safari needs to be quit before the update can finish but Safari is not running.

While trouble-shooting the problem I accidentally opened Safari and it indicates that it has been updated to 6.0.2. I cannot quit App Store while updates are pending.

tharepairguy

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
Mine kinda did the same thing a few times. It stalled for a while but finally recovered one of the times. The other times, it timed out while downloading several times. I had to force quit app store several times before I could get everything updated.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I couldn't force quit the installation process nor could I restart the Mac from the Apple Menu.

I finally took advantage of my extended AppleCare and called Apple. We came to the conclusion that the only option was to shut off the MBP via its power button and see what happened.

As it turned out, nothing much happened except I had to start over the iPhoto download. I should have been able to figure this out myself but the warning message that interrupting the update "might damage your computer" gave me pause...

The ironic thing is that I didn't really want to upgrade iPhoto because I never use it. Why download a 1.15GB update for no reason? But since updates cannot be skipped like earlier OS versions, I simply got tired of being reminded that I had software that needed to be updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.