Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
Looking to hopefully pick up the iPhone 5 today but Apples websites say 3-4 weeks to have it shipped. Has any one had luck with local stores like Best Buy or Target/Walmart?

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Looking to hopefully pick up the iPhone 5 today but Apples websites say 3-4 weeks to have it shipped. Has any one had luck with local stores like Best Buy or Target/Walmart?

My friend wants one (att) and no store in NYC has it in stock. He has tried "reserving" one every night at 10pm but never gets one as they sell out too fast.

I feel lucky to actually have one, the phone was released over a month ago and there are still stock issues.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
I am going to call around when stores open at 10am here. I was just hoping to get one today instead of waiting a couple weeks.

Future2001

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
Walked into an At&t store today and picked up a 64gb black one. If you check the website on att you check the availability in stores.

tpf7118

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Att&t Walk In

On a whim, went to an ATT&T store outside Philly today. Got a no-contract black 64G with no hassle. Probably spent less than 15 minutes in the store. Based on watching the posts, was shocked.

Good luck out there.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I've learned that the AT&T and Verizon models are in extreme demand.
AT&T for iphone 4 upgraders, Verizon for international use.

Masputo14

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Arizona
I placed my order on Apple.com and a few days later I called two Verizon stores in the Phoenix area. Two stores had the 64GB in stock which I wanted a 32GB but didn't want to wait for a month to get my order from Apple. I canceled and drove down the street to pick up my new iPhone 5 :D

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I placed my order on Apple.com and a few days later I called two Verizon stores in the Phoenix area. Two stores had the 64GB in stock which I wanted a 32GB but didn't want to wait for a month to get my order from Apple. I canceled and drove down the street to pick up my new iPhone 5 :D

I called ATT store in my area and they said all the stores have are the 64GB ones but 399 to too damn much for a phone especially since so few people need that much storage.

Bigcclass09

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
a quest laid to rest

Almost gave up and just ordered from apple, when i decided to call around, 3 radioshacks said they would try to get one and call me, wasnt waiting for them to not call, called bestbuy and they had 1 black 32gb left (really wanted a white one but oh well) went there and saw they had a decent stock of iphone 5's, only hassle was because of my icloud backup when the bestbuy mobile worker set up my iphone, att couldnt find it, so i had to take it home, restore it and try again, it worked of course, i told him i wanted to activate it at home, he didnt listen

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I called ATT store in my area and they said all the stores have are the 64GB ones but 399 to too damn much for a phone especially since so few people need that much storage.

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to pay the full $850 :D I had to get pretty close to the retail of $750 to get my 32!! Dx

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

Last year, I thought having 64GB was a godsend. Then came iTunes Match and 16GB will suffice, but 32GB would be good, just in case. My 64GB 4S was mostly empty and filled with movies.

----------

Consider yourself lucky you don't have to pay the full $850 :D I had to get pretty close to the retail of $750 to get my 32!! Dx

Why so much?

----------

I checked at 10:17 tonight and the store in Pasadena ca had stock for pickup in black 16gb

SoCal suddenly had a surge in stock! Checked here in Manhattan Beach. Got a 32GB for store pickup. I have an online order that won't be shipped until end of nov/early dec, so I hope I can cancel it without trouble. And, maybe the AC+ too since it may be wise to purchase it with this one instead. I'm one of those customers who get anxiety when they try to return/exchange/cancel stuff.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Last year, I thought having 64GB was a godsend. Then came iTunes Match and 16GB will suffice, but 32GB would be good, just in case. My 64GB 4S was mostly empty and filled with movies.

----------

Why so much?

I had no other way.. couldn't buy it on a contract because I'm on T-Mobile. A friend upgraded and sold it to me for $600. Definitely better than the $810 after tax outright!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I had no other way.. couldn't buy it on a contract because I'm on T-Mobile. A friend upgraded and sold it to me for $600. Definitely better than the $810 after tax outright!

Is it unlocked already or will you be doing that (if you haven't)?

And yes, I had to add another line to buy mine. But, AT&T gave me a $100 credit and a waive activation credit for my troubles.

jettrue

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2007
I did the 10pm to 4am ordering on apple.com last week. Here in St. Louis, got one on the first night I tried.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Is it unlocked already or will you be doing that (if you haven't)?

And yes, I had to add another line to buy mine. But, AT&T gave me a $100 credit and a waive activation credit for my troubles.

Got it unlocked via unlock_fusion on eBay for $3.50 :D Been using it on T-Mobile ever since :)

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Besbuy around my area (portland, or) had many iphones in stock, mostly 32 and 64 sizes. But they only sell with 2 year contracts or so i was told.

LimitedxEdition

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2009
Nor Cal here, checked my local bestbuy's inventory online last night and a bunch had some AT&T in stock. Picked up a 16gb this morning.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
when i picked up my 5, i just walked right into best buy and asked if they had one for AT&T and they had only one left in all of their 5 inventory, including sprint and verizon and it was a 64gb, wanted a 32 and it was black which is what i wanted and i took it anyway, couldnt pass it up

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Bought one on Apple's site for personal pickup the first time I tried a few weeks ago. Got the size and color I wanted. Definitely the best way to go if you aren't in an over populated area and didn't preorder.

Tree2u

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Don't know who your carrier is but I picked up a 5 at a Radio Shack the week of the release. Call around and good luck.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I got lucky with mine. I live in a very rural area and none of our stores (Verizon, Best Buy, Target & Walmart) had the iPhone 5 on launch day. I was on the waiting list at Best Buy but happened to stop at Verizon two weeks after launch and asked if they had any. The manager said no but would put me on a list. Less than two hours later she called me back and said a truck came in that she didn't even know was coming. I was so happy! Got the 32GB white, exactly what I wanted.

modthispny

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
lost 64gb iphone 5 last weekend, tried apple.com store pick up every night for past 5 nights, not available, checked bestbuy.com this morning, found 2 stores that showed the 64gb slate verizon iphone 5 available, called them, one of them was only for pre-orders (system shows available, but it might just be for pre-orders only, so best to call), called other store, said they have 3 available for walk-in.

$980 later, re-united with the iphone 5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.