Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
hi

I don't own a ipad 4 this yet but planning on getting one so the ? is dos your ipad 4 get warm like the ipad 3 did ?

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I can't comment on the 3rd gen because the 4 is my first iPad. However, after heavy basic use the last 24 hours (iCloud restore, firmware/software update, Twitter, Facebook, streaming videos and music, email, iMessage and of course MR, it doesn't appear to have changed one bit externally in heat emission. I'm using it with a Smart Cover. I will also add the battery is freaking amazing. Any other questions about the 4 I'll be glad to try to answer.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I preordered a 4 and returned it unopened because every single one that I tried in the apple store was noticeably warm. I had bought a 3 and ended up returning it after a week for the same reason. It would really bother me.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Previous 3rd gen owner, now with a 4th gen for a couple of days. The iPad 4 definitely gets warm, not unlike the 3, but I never felt like the 3 was any issue. It's not much different vs. my iPhone 4S (or MBP). It's a high performance electronic device, it gets warm (so do our game consoles, AVRs, etc.)

:cool:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I preordered a 4 and returned it unopened because every single one that I tried in the apple store was noticeably warm. I had bought a 3 and ended up returning it after a week for the same reason. It would really bother me.

That's ridiculous. For the reason that our good friend, Bender, pointed out above. The iPad is a high performance device. High performance devices generate heat. Deal with it.

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Maybe I'm not using it right.... But mine has been used today for several hours continuously and is not any warmer than when I picked it up from being charged. Of course, I'm not doing any processor intensive actions on it, but still...no sign of heat problems yet.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
After a few hours of movie watching, playing Grand Theft Auto and some extensive email replying (while music is playing), the iPad got warm but never to the degree I had noticed with the 3 (when I played it in store anyway). Either way, for the speed we gain its an acceptable trade off. Plus the battery..... 3 hours and still at 84% (!) today :eek:

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
If you turn up your brightness level on the iPad 4, it will get somewhat warm but reducing the brightness solved that for me. Overall, the iPad 4 does not get as warm as my iPad 3 did

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I don't know about the iPad 3rd gen, but switching from the iPad 2 to the new retina 4th gen I can't see any heat issue.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Don't use it at full brightness, problem solved. I don't know why anyone would use an iPad at 100% brightness indoors, it's blinding. I run my iPad 3 at 40/50% and it never gets hot.

Bad.Hat.Harry

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Orange County, CA
I don't have any experience with the iPad 3 coming from the iPad 2, but about 30 minutes into Bastion on the iPad 4 I noticed one part of the back getting noticeably warm so I grabbed my infrared thermometer and took readings across the back ranging from 98°-106° F. FYI the brightness was set to 85%.

As far as temperatures during web browsing, reading, and other activities that don't put heavy loads on the processors I haven't noticed any significant increases.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Mine is currently restoring, and for a time I had the screen up at 100% brightness and it was getting quite toasty in the iPad 1 cover, particularly on the glass which wasn't something I'd experienced particularly on the 3.

weas

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Seville, Spain
The main factor isn't how much performance the app you're running demands.... The main factor is the BRIGHTNESS!
Even if you are just surfing the web, if your brightness is set to maximun it'll get warm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.