Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrischa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hi,
Looooong time lurker, first time poster! :D I just bought an Apple TV 3 and upgraded to OS 5.1. Whenever I try to view movies or TV in HD (720p or 1080p) I almost immediately get the message: "An error occurred loading this content. Try again later". If I switch to Standard Definition in the store settings then the content loads without a problem.

I tried calling Apple Care and the first guy I spoke with made it sound like there is currently an issue going on with Apple's servers. However, when I spoke to a senior advisor he said it was most likely my WiFi connection. I'm getting WiFi d/l speeds of around 6Mbps. Shouldn't that be more than fast enough to stream 1080p content given a couple minutes of pre-buffer time?

1080p streaming has worked a couple of times but it's very inconsistent and error prone. Has anyone else seen this occur recently or after upgrading to 5.1?

Kalina

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
I'm having the exact same issue. HD gives me a error, SD plays fine. I thought it was the new firmware, but I downgraded and I have the same issue. Do you think its a issue with their server? This has been going on for 2 weeks.

Kalina

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Ok, this is the stupidest solution yet.
I've tried:
-Downgrading the firmware
-upgrading the firmware
-restarts/unplugging
-wired connection
-wireless connection
-different networks

What finally worked for me, was logging into my apple id online (on their site and on itunes) and changing my username and password. Suddenly everything works again.

I don't know why.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.