Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueKhufu

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2010
Yes, let's put this myth to a rest ;)

http://m.corninggorillaglass.com/smartphone/#_Productsfull

It was pretty foolish to quote Wikipedia

Did you even take thirty seconds to read the top statement? You know, the part about "due to customer agreements....." Pretty foolish to just blow off Wikipedia without checking the sources of the article first.

eyecon82

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
Did you even take thirty seconds to read the top statement? You know, the part about "due to customer agreements....." Pretty foolish to just blow off Wikipedia without checking the sources of the article first.

yea so you could have gone into wiki and changed it yourself....who knows...:confused:

face it, Apple used to have gorilla glass up until the 4s....not with the 5..

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto

Take a look at the attached pic from the site you posted

As I said, Apple has agreements with its manufacturers about disclosing their parts sources. Including Corning.

But of course you're right... Apple introduced Gorilla Glass to the mobile phone screen market just so they could stop using it and have an inferior product instead.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 251

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Why do people assume others are lying when their products have issues? It happens with every apple release someone or some few people have issues and here runs on a group to deny them and call them liars.

Contrary to popular belief apple is not perfect and it's products don't come crafted from God himself in heaven.

Just because it didn't happen to YOU doesn't mean it didn't happen to someone else.

Get off your high horses.

It's because they often ARE liars. Outright lying claims decrease the overall acceptance of legitimate claims. Not that this thread is based upon one, either.

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16205242#post16205242

Redsew

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
It was probably bent during shipping (another box on top that's heavy enough?) and since it has aluminum back cover that metal probably helped it keep the shape of being bent.
I hope you get this problem fixed as soon as possible!!
And this is the reason I don't trust shipping as much, I usually try getting things with me physically going to a store.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It was probably bent during shipping (another box on top that's heavy enough?) and since it has aluminum back cover that metal probably helped it keep the shape of being bent.
I hope you get this problem fixed as soon as possible!!
And this is the reason I don't trust shipping as much, I usually try getting things with me physically going to a store.

Haha all iPhones are shipped to the store. They don't use carrier pigeons or storks to deliver them buddy.

Nmnoxon

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I have been hoping that this issue would pick up steam and finally one site is reporting it (http://www.tekcore.co.uk/2012/10/10/iphone-5-bend-gate/). I am just another iPhone 5 owner that now has a bent phone.

It is definitely a design flaw... I have been very careful with mine and on the 35th day I noticed a slight bend at the lower volume button. That is almost always where it is bending... Anyway apple told me I bent it and it is out of warranty but they can replace it for $220... Ugh!! I hate apple! I have never put it in a back pocket! This phone is not strong enough to withstand normal use!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 302

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005

Did you even bother to read the page you posted? Pretty foolish to be so smug.

Corning® Gorilla® Glass is used by more than 33 major brands, has been designed into more than 900 product models, and is featured on more than 1 billion devices worldwide. Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
The glass is probably stronger than the aluminum. With trying to make everything tight via screws and glue, the aluminum (because of the thinness) will bend and give way to the pressure first. The only thing keeping it in that shape is the surrounding outer band of aluminum, and it happens that the place where the lower volume button is at is a big hole, so that place will give in to the pressure first (it is near the middle). Aluminum is softer than the metal used in the 4S for the outer metal band. They should have used liquidmetal for support near the outer band in the weak spots (maybe near the button holes). I think this is a structural engineering issue during the design stages, or it could have been revealed during long term quality control or stress test (if they even have that at apple). I can almost guarantee that light pressure near the middle where the lower Volume button is at will bend all iPhone 5s (like sitting on it). This is bad news. I don't know how they can fix this. Can they use stronger aluminum? I think the only way to fix it is to use different material for the back, but it would have to be strong, the same material as the 4s. Liquidmetal will do but it is probably too expensive.

Last edited:

Builddesign

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
+1 with bent iphone5 (-) button is effected, rubs on the frame.

Never put in back pocket.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I've had my iPhone 5 for a few weeks now. I could see how someone would "accidentally" sit on this thing (so light you don't even know it's in your pocket).

If I did that, I'd have the urge to claim it was like this out of the box too but my ethics wouldn't allow it. My parents raised me differently I guess? That's why I bought Apple Care+ this time because I dropped my 4s and shattered the front screen after caring for mobile phones since the late 90s without a problem.

Reminds me of the people next to me at a restaurant who claimed to find a paperclip in their food. Well... they got free food. Can't blame them for taking advantage of the system, eh?

merbel

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2007
Same thing with my 5. Same location and screen pulling away from phone. Not in back pocket, etc. no marks on the phone.
Taking to genius bar tonight

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I also have friends that have bent iphone 5's mine isn't bent yet as it is in a sector 5 case hoping this gives it some support from bending but I do believe there is a problem here, there's bent from normal use and not being abused

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I also have friends that have bent iphone 5's mine isn't bent yet as it is in a sector 5 case hoping this gives it some support from bending but I do believe there is a problem here, there's bent from normal use and not being abused

A lot of people think sitting on their phones is normal...

ConCat

macrumors 6502a

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass."

It was pretty foolish to use an admittedly incomplete list, as evidence that Apple isn't using Gorilla Glass. Of all the companies to be secretive about what kind of glass they use, Apple would be one of them.

It's also worth noting how NO Apple products are listed there. Sounds like a coverup to me!

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
A lot of people think sitting on their phones is normal...

Oh so you're just going to use an assumption because you can't explain it? You're a scientific genius, one of the phones was in an aluminum case and the other naked neither were sat on or abbused, but apparently everybody lies that has a bent phone I'm "assuming"

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Oh so you're just going to use an assumption because you can't explain it? You're a scientific genius, one of the phones was in an aluminum case and the other naked neither were sat on or abbused, but apparently everybody lies that has a bent phone I'm "assuming"

It's your friends' phone, not yours. How do you know what happens to them every second of every day when you're not around. You don't know. They might not know either. Something could have happened that they were unaware of until it was too late.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
It is definitely a design flaw... I have been very careful with mine and on the 35th day I noticed a slight bend at the lower volume button. That is almost always where it is bending... Anyway apple told me I bent it and it is out of warranty but they can replace it for $220... Ugh!! I hate apple! I have never put it in a back pocket! This phone is not strong enough to withstand normal use!

You did bend it if it wasn't like that when you bought it. The fact that MILLIONS of people aren't on the webs complaining about their phones bending it's 100% user caused (in the case it was fine OOB and then was magically bent) much like yours. I use my phone no different than I did any other phone and it's still pristine..... so is my wifes, moms, dads, multiple co-workers, ect ect. If it's bent now and wasn't before, YOU did it, no reason for apple to fix your f-up. My car has a dent.... I accidentally hit it with a ball while playing with my kids..... so is it Audi's fault or mine?

I have a hard time believing, unless the box is totaled, that any one gets it OOB bent.

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
face it, Apple used to have gorilla glass up until the 4s....not with the 5..

Right and last year the same
people said it was Gorilla glass up to the 3G but the 4 glass came from China.

As has been proven before, Apple
was the first with gorilla glass and still does use Corning's Gorilla glass. Note the recent quote from Cook below on parts made in the US. Corning's plant is in Kentucky.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/06/apple-bringing-some-mac-production-back-to-u-s-in-2013/

Quote :
"It’s not known well that the engine for the iPhone and iPad is made in the U.S., and many of these are also exported—the engine, the processor. The glass is made in Kentucky."

http://www.webpronews.com/iphone-inadvertently-saves-kentucky-factory-2012-05

Last edited:

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Right and last year the same
people said it was Gorilla glass up to the 3G but the 4 glass came from China.

As has been proven before, Apple
was the first with gorilla glass and still does use Corning's Gorilla glass. Note the recent quote from Cook below on parts made in the US. Corning's plant is in Kentucky.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/06/apple-bringing-some-mac-production-back-to-u-s-in-2013/

Quote :
"It’s not known well that the engine for the iPhone and iPad is made in the U.S., and many of these are also exported—the engine, the processor. The glass is made in Kentucky."

http://www.webpronews.com/iphone-inadvertently-saves-kentucky-factory-2012-05

that quote by Cook proves it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.