Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nharrietha

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Canada
As a non-shareholding consumer, why exactly does a company's sales figures matter?
Agreed. But in a way it shows that Apple really needs to pick up their socks or they're going to loose even more to Android. Then again, I don't think you need the device sales to know that.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
The ONE thing id like to see the Galaxy line get away from is bowing to the carriers on updated OS releases. They made the GS3 look the same on all carriers so now its time to say FU, we are releasing and update and it wont go thru you before it gets to the people.

Jelly Bean should of been on its way to GS3 owners by now. With the line selling so well, it lets the carriers sell many more devices so they should have some pull on this...i would think anyways. I dont need any BS bloatware from T-Mobile on there. I dont use any of it.

Couldn't agree with you more. Samsung should give the middle finger to the carriers. The carriers ad nothing of value to the phones and just mess things up.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure what's not clear here,

I said Samsung reports wholesale sales into their distribution channel as sales.

These are not end user sales.

We have no way to know how many phones resellers have sold to consumers, and how many are sitting on the shelves.

Apple reports end user sales to consumers.

Phones sitting in an Apple dealer are not reported as sold.

Phones sitting on the shelf at a Samsung reseller are reported as sold.

Comparing the sales figures between the two companies does not tell us how many consumers have actually purchased both products, only how many each company has sold.

The same thing was said when they announced they sold 8 million. Now we are at 30 million. I think they are getting sold.

Sure seems some in here are butt hurt over these figures to keep repeating the same things over and over.

Show me some proof thats how they report their sales and prook that is how Apple reports their sales and then we can argue about it. But in the end, th devices are getting sold. We are in the multiple millions here so what does it matter anyways?

The Galaxy line is doing well and improving every year with every new device.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
I'm not sure what's not clear here,

I said Samsung reports wholesale sales into their distribution channel as sales.

These are not end user sales.

We have no way to know how many phones resellers have sold to consumers, and how many are sitting on the shelves.

Apple reports end user sales to consumers.

Phones sitting in an Apple dealer are not reported as sold.

Phones sitting on the shelf at a Samsung reseller are reported as sold.

Comparing the sales figures between the two companies does not tell us how many consumers have actually purchased both products, only how many each company has sold.

i see a good number of S3's in NYC. they are selling, trust me. even told my mom its a good phone because $99 is as high as she's going to go

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Wow, you completely missed his point. Who gives a shlt about an update that doesn't give you all the features that the update boasts. Let's not forget inferior hardware you get from the incremental updates Apple loves to do to squeeze every cent of profit from the consumer. And at the same time tell you that you can't run the new must have features because the new iOS update is too much for the old hardware to run. Like he said, Thanks for coming out.

Again, its a TWO year old phone. You are free to upgrade your phone and contract if you wish. I have had plenty of Android phones over the years and have had to buy brand new phones at FULL retail price just to get the newest version of Android because the carrier decided not to update my current one or the manufacturer (looking at you LG) decided to abandon the phone months after putting it out. Quit acting like Android makers have a great history with updates, its still a cluster**k with tons of different phones running like 3 different versions of the OS. Its God awful, a ton worse then Apple and iOS.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
The iphone 4 is a two year old phone and at least you can still get iOS 6 on it. Try finding a 2 year old Android phone still being updated AT ALL. Hell, there are phones not even ONE years old that wont be seeing Jelly Bean.

----------

Its already been pushed to Q1 2013 :rolleyes:

Sprint is already pushing 4.1 OTA to their Galaxy 3 Customers.

How is Siri, native turn by turn, fly over and Facetime over cellular treating you on your iPhone 4 running iOS 6. :p

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Try finding a 2 year old Android phone still being updated AT ALL.

Challenge accepted.

Nexus S. Went from Gingerbread to ICS to JB. It will likely get JB 4.2 too.

Don't see why you're so angry michaeljohn. Can updates be better across Android devices? Of course.

But if timely updates are that important to anyone, the Nexus line takes care of that need. One phone a year, guaranteed updates for 2 years. Sound familiar?

Whereas if specs or something else the Nexus line doesn't offer is more important, then people have the freedom to go with other manufacturers. That's the freedom of choice. Choices aren't always easy to make. But hard choices are better than no choices.

Last edited:

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Sprint is already pushing 4.1 OTA to their Galaxy 3 Customers.

How is Siri, native turn by turn, fly over and Facetime over cellular treating you on your iPhone 4 running iOS 6. :p

No idea, I have an iPhone 5. How is Jelly Bean running on your HTC Evo, Motorola Droid, Xperia X10, Galaxy....? Oh, thats right. they dont even have ICS :rolleyes: At least an iPhone 4 is still running the current OS...

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
As for the Note 2's sales, they haven't even shipped them yet. Wait for the phone to be in stores and people can view and sample it; then, the sales' figures will climb.

A lot of people say that Apple isn't concerned about market share. Nonsense! Their mobiles' market share is their lifeblood; without a large % of the market, their profits from their mobiles fall, regardless of their high margins. From the last earnings report, their iPad sales have not hit the mark. With the mini listed at $329 (with older specs and materials), look for another disappointing quarter.

Hopefully, the Galaxy phones' success spurs Apple to really innovate. We'll see...

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
As for the Note 2's sales, they haven't even shipped them yet. Wait for the phone to be in stores and people can view and sample it; then, the sales' figures will climb.

The Note II has been shipping internationally for a while now. But you are correct, its sales will get a bump when it finally ships on AT&T and Verizon later this month.

GL

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
The Note II has been shipping internationally for a while now. But you are correct, its sales will get a bump when it finally ships on AT&T and Verizon later this month.

GL

Oops! I did mean to say both AT&T and Verizon haven't shipped.

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Who gives a shlt about an update that doesn't give you all the features that the update boasts.

Developers do, because it means that they don't have to worry so much about getting their software to work on all devices. If updating is painless, and most people update, then developers don't have to go through the the song and dance of worrying about compatibility.

You can whine all you like about sales, but unless Google stops Android fragmentation, the platform won't last.

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...er-cent-of-users-stuck-on-gingerbread-1109846

lol

Last edited:

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
No idea, I have an iPhone 5. How is Jelly Bean running on your HTC Evo, Motorola Droid, Xperia X10, Galaxy....? Oh, thats right. they dont even have ICS :rolleyes: At least an iPhone 4 is still running the current OS...

A pretty boring OS at that... iOS is really nothing that special to brag about anymore... Yes I have an iPhone 5

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
A lot of people say that Apple isn't concerned about market share. Nonsense! Their mobiles' market share is their lifeblood; without a large % of the market, their profits from their mobiles fall, regardless of their high margins.

Why would Apple care? They don't compete in mobile per se, but only in smartphones. Apple doesn't sell feature phones.

If Apple is getting smoked by Android devices in the smartphone/tablet sector, then what are people using these devices for? They certainly aren't using them for web browsing, as Apple devices have somewhere between 3/5 to 2/3 usage share whereas Android doesn't even break 1/4.

The blindingly obvious explanation is that the vast majority of Android devices sold are primitive feature phones which are of little, if any, use in browsing the web.

hoon2999

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2012
At least an iPhone 4 is still running the current OS...

Sorry but I quiet dont understand your point. What are the benefits of having ios6 on iPhone4??
-YouTube stock app removal
-Google Map removal but same no turn-by-turn nor flyover map with worse mapping
-No siri
-No JB
-so on....
I feel like having more heavy resource OS on older device is a bad idea without any new features.
And I, personally, am sick of Apple's greed and boring iOS.
For an example, the siri!! Came along with 4s. So people complained, why cant we have it on iphone4? They said A4 chip doesnt have a good voice-recognition as A5 chips do. Ok.... iPad 2 users complained, why cant we have it on iPad? Apple explained that iPad does not have internet connection continuously thus making siri unreliable. Ok.... Now iPad mini with siri!! Having same spec(chips) as iPad2 but offers siri?? lol all I see is Apple hiding features in new ios and use it as sales strategy. With bunch of BS of course. Why dont they just put siri as an add-on feature and charge people lol. Shame

Edit: forgot to mention google app's voice recognition works flawless on my previous iPhone 4. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
You can whine all you like about sales, but unless Google stops Android fragmentation, the platform won't last.

It seems that all the people talking about fragmentation are people that doesn't use Android. Two years reading about how fragmentation will kill Android and it has more market share than ever.

And the update philosophy is very different, most of the core apps are updated independently of the OS, apps like Maps, Gmail, Play Store, calendar, etc

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Pretty sure this is correct. I love the S3, I have owned two of them in fact but there is no way its SOLD 30 million to actual customers. I walked right into an AT&T store day it went on sale and bought one. The same AT&T store that still has no iPhone 5 for sale and hasnt even filled their orders yet. The S3 is readily available most anywhere its sold and online, no way it has sold that well. Those figures are sales to retailers, not actual customers.

Incorrect, there was no official launch date on AT&T in the US. It was originally supposed to be the 25th of June but it was changed. Granted there were no lines for it like a typical iPhone launch it wasn't the easiest phone in the world to get. I had to preorder mine because no AT&T store in the city had one(I apparently got mine pre release). Apple traditionally dominates the US market, but Europe, and Asia is a different story. The bottom line is, 30million people definitely purchased a Galaxy S3.

Trust me when I say this, I NEVER thought in my life time that I would be caught dead with an Android device. I've always been one of the most vocal iPhone defenders. I always told myself that the day Apple falls behind in innovation I'll switch, and sadly that time is here. The feature set on the iPhone 5 is just sorely lacking for a redesigned phone, and people are starting to realize this. Brand loyalty is great, but when there's something better, it's time to move on.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

Yea the 4 runs iOS 6 except it is missing nearly all the head lining features so what is the point. :D

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
So what you're saying is you have to upgrade to the latest iPhone to enjoy all the features. Got it.

This is my first iPhone but I don't care to be honest. I get new phones every year anyways. I sell my current phone and use that money towards the new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.