Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samacmini

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
I have a New Apple Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM -but don't have any DVD reader/writer but i wanted to install Window 7 in bootcamp.

Can i do it via pen-drive ?

Or any other way ?

highly appreciated if you can help!!!! :apple:

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
i also trying to install windows 7 on my 2011 mac mini. ive been trying for a good 3 days and haven't got anywhere. im not an idiot when it comes to computers, i can usually figure stuff like this out, but this i just cant seem to get to work. every video i watch on youtube does it a different way or explains it terrible. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
i also trying to install windows 7 on my 2011 mac mini. ive been trying for a good 3 days and haven't got anywhere. im not an idiot when it comes to computers, i can usually figure stuff like this out, but this i just cant seem to get to work. every video i watch on youtube does it a different way or explains it terrible. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

In what format do you have windows 7? is it on DVD or is it an ISO file?

you need to have an ISO file as bootcamp will take the iso file, mount it on a USB stick and then add its own drivers for windows.

If you have a DVD, then use some ISO creation software to take an image of the disc.

rezinous

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2010
Yeah I ripped an iso from my laptop and just transferred it across. Quite easy the installation overall. 1st time.

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
In what format do you have windows 7? is it on DVD or is it an ISO file?

you need to have an ISO file as bootcamp will take the iso file, mount it on a USB stick and then add its own drivers for windows.

If you have a DVD, then use some ISO creation software to take an image of the disc.

its an iso file. i did mount it to a usb, but when i restart to boot it up it says cant find bootable disk or something close to that.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
its an iso file. i did mount it to a usb, but when i restart to boot it up it says cant find bootable disk or something close to that.

did you mount it yourself or did you let the bootcamp assistant do it?

When I did it, I had the ISO file on the mac hard drive and the USB drive was empty.

I then used bootcamp to format the USB drive and mount the windows image on it. It then adds its own drivers to the drive.

jacob078

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
did you mount it yourself or did you let the bootcamp assistant do it?

When I did it, I had the ISO file on the mac hard drive and the USB drive was empty.

I then used bootcamp to format the USB drive and mount the windows image on it. It then adds its own drivers to the drive.

i tried both ways. ive seriously tried every way i could find on the internet and once i get to the boot stage it cant find anything to to boot from. i should also mention im on lion. and i did see some other people saying they were having more troubles than with snow leopard. im considering just buying a external disc drive to see if that works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.