Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
dom_joly_tab.jpg

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
iP5 feels perfect in my hand, it fits perfectly width wise but the screen still doesn't feel small.

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
personally if the iphone gets any bigger, i wont be buying it.
4s was pefect for me (female - smaller hands)
but the 5 is lighter, and nice too.

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If u don't like the iPhone 5's screen size, don't get an iPhone 5.

Plain and simple. Thread is useless

I hate comments like this. It's not that simple. Sometimes people like me would like to try out an iPhone and try out the apple ecosystem, but we wouldn't feel satisfied with a smaller screen than 4.3 or whatever.

I'm just saying it's more complex than "just pick a phone with a bigger screen."

modthispny

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
for a cell phone, IMO iphone 5 is about the perfect, size, maybe .2 inches longer, but the width is perfect imo. (if they can increase screen width and keep it as same total width of iphone 5, then i'm game)

ipad mini does fit incredible in your hand, but it's something that you place on a table, desk, etc, and not in your pocket which is why i don't think apple should increase the width of the iphone.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
just putting it out there. did you ever try putting a phone thats bigger than the iphone in your pocket you dont notice it much unless your wearing really tight pants. Also i feel they do need a bigger screen, which is the reason why i left iphone back when the 4s came out for the galaxy note. since im not making tons of phone calls and i mostly use it for the interent and texting and when i do make calls its normally on speaker couldn't see having such a tiny screen. Now thats not to say that i dont like the iphone i do like the operating system very much, and the way it works just not the screen size thats what turned me away.

I have and I did notice it, it was like a big bulge and it felt really uncomfortable. This was a friends galaxy note btw

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I'm not convinced that we need a bigger iPhone, but given the release of the iPad mini (also not "needed") I think it just might happen.
A lot of people feel that the existence of a bigger iPhone means the elimination of the current size, but if the Mini tells us anything then its that the new Apple is now willing to splinter it's products in order to give it's end users options and take away sales from its competitors. And thats a good thing.

Its funny because only a few weeks ago then the iPad forum was filled with people declaring how "The iPad wont work on a smaller device" but now it's clearly proven that it not only works fine, in many ways it works better. I feel the same thing would happen with the iPhone and if given a choice then people would finally realize that different size options is good for everyone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Agreed, OP. I've always said larger screens aren't an Android vs. iOS debate. A larger screen iOS smartphone would be glorious.

Unfortunately, we can safely assume the 5S will keep the same form factor and screen size.

It won't be until the iPhone 6 (2014!) that we could hope to see a larger screen for the iPhone. And how would that work? Apple is "stuck" with their scaling solution. What's the next screen size it can scale up to? Has anyone done the math?

----------

A lot of people feel that the existence of a bigger iPhone means the elimination of the current size, but if the Mini tells us anything then its that the new Apple is now willing to splinter it's products in order to give it's end users options and take away sales from its competitors. And thats a good thing.

Its funny because only a few weeks ago then the iPad forum was filled with people declaring how "The iPad wont work on a smaller device" but now it's clearly proven that it not only works fine, in many ways it works better. I feel the same thing would happen with the iPhone and if given a choice then people would finally realize that different size options is good for everyone.

Don't forget, Apple is also conceding devices larger than 4" can be used one handed. They say so in their iPad Mini video:

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.

Yeah, I know it's just contradictory marketing, but that's how Apple rolls. Indeed, any device up until roughly 4.6 or 4.7 inches, I find very usable one handed. 4.3-4.5" would be ideal, though.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
Yes, we do. The iPhone 5 feels extremely crowed. Wish they'd release a 4.3" iphone like the perfect Samsung Galaxy S II.

After using my friends S II, I have to say it is the optimal screen size. Could use it with one hand and still got lot's of content on the screen. Using his S III, I almost wanted to throw that thing at a wall...

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Perfect size for a phone is 4.7 inch screen small bezel, maybe up to 5 inches if the space is used well enough.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I was a bit skeptical at 1st with the new size on the iPhone 5. Now using it day to day, i think its great and doesnt need to get any bigger. Apple is now servicing all sweet spot sizes with their products.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I really wouldn't want to see an iPhone any bigger than 4.3" max.

I already love the smaller, compact size of my 4S. I dislike this "trend" of phone's becoming the size of small tablets.

It's just funny, growing up in the early 2000's phones got smaller and smaller and smaller. And now they're getting bigger and bigger.

My 4S is a perfect size, and I'm sure the 5S will be a good size for me too when I upgrade next fall.

I REALLY hope Apple doesn't start making huge iPhones.

AlyseM

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
What about an ipad that has like phone mobile option. Like a little piece disconnects and becomes an iphone?! Dreams.....

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
The market has spoken, and more and more people like large phones. It only makes sense as we are talking less, video calling more, using apps and browsing more on our phones.

All Apple has to do is have TWO phones - make the small iPhone 5 for people that want that size, and a large 4.5 - 5" iPhone for people that want something bigger. I bet they could again dominate the market. They just did it with the iPad, they can do it with the phone. Otherwise they will keep driving an ever increasing segment of their customers away from their products.

I'm one of them - I haven't upgraded my iPhone 4 because I wanted a larger phone. Was waiting for iPhone 5 with anticipation, only to be so disappointed. Unfortunately my next phone will not be an iPhone, and as much as I will miss the Apple quality and familiarity of iOS, current iPhone just does not fullfill my needs anymore.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My dad got the galaxy note 2 and i can't believe how big it is...just too big to ever use as a phone. Great for vids though but hey this is what ipads are for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.