Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I'm sure these are dumb questions, but I have never done it.

I don't know if I'm going to sell it but I'm thinking about it.

I'm under contract w/Verizon, had the phone for 5 weeks, 32GB white.
I'm thinking Ebay, they're going for roughly $800 - $900

What steps do I have to take in order to sell it but also get another phone to replace it?

Do I sell this phone first and use the money to buy a replacement?
or would I have to buy the other phone first ? I ask that because I assume that my number is tied to that phone until I get a new one.

I remove the Sim card? right?

Will the buyer be able to activate the phone even though it is attached to my account?

I don't know how these things work. Sorry, I just don't want to screw anyone over, including myself.

Thank you.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Seeing as the Verizon iPhone 5s are sim unlocked, all you have to do is remove your sim card and whoever buys it can use it on any GSM network. If you do not remove it from your account before selling and the person who buys it, wants to use it for Verizon (CDMA) it wont work. It must be removed from your account before it can be activated on another Verizon account. This applies to Verizon only.

I would suggest you replace the line with another phone first and then sell the phone. All you need to do is remove your sim and just list on eBay.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I have no idea but the materialism of most Americans is shocking. You've had the phone for just 5 weeks, be happy with it. If you want another phone that bad you should have shopped around better before you purchased. The money you want to spend on the new phone would be better of in someone else's hands than yours.

Reactions: ssrij

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I have no idea but the materialism of most Americans is shocking. You've had the phone for just 5 weeks, be happy with it. If you want another phone that bad you should have shopped around better before you purchased. The money you want to spend on the new phone would be better of in someone else's hands than yours.

No one was asking for your judgement.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Not judgement. I'm allowed to have my opinion. If you don't like it, move on.

Yes, by saying how materialistic Americans are, you are clearly implying that about the OP. So, yes you are judging him. He asked for help, if you dont have any, move on.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Not judgement. I'm allowed to have my opinion. If you don't like it, move on.

Definitely was unsolicited... That being said, I don't think he even mentioned why he's selling it. It could be a multitude of reasons. I go though 6-14 phones a year, most of which are provided by work.... Just because of go through that many new phones, does that mean I'm materialistic? Or does it mean that the description I gave you have too much room for speculation.... Too much to the point it would be entirely rude of you to make any comment?

FYI, in case you wanted to be judgmental and make a comment such as I AM materialistic, I go through that many phones because I work in the cellular industry, and it's important to know the product I work with.... Therefor work provides me with my devices.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010

Thank you. I have long worried that American's intelligence levels are falling behind other industrialized nations. After your useless and irrelevant comment, I can see that my concernces are totally unfounded.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
That's why it rocks to be an American! Keep hatin ...

Not really. I'm not hating. Just saying my opinion. Here in Australia I can buy anything I want too. It just seems ludicrous to me to want to replace a phone after 5 weeks. Anyway, moving on.

----------

Thank you. I have long worried that American's intelligence levels are falling behind other industrialized nations. After your useless and irrelevant comment, I can see that my concernces are totally unfounded.

No problem. I am not American however.

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010

I am happy with it, I love my iPhone. Nowhere in my post did I state my feelings about the phone.

So, unless you have something useful to say, bite me.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Sell it in Australia. They tend to fall for overpriced iPhones. Gullible lot they are. :D

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Your phone isn't under contract. Your service is under contract.

You are correct, that is what I meant.

I just didn't know if I sold it and someone else tried to activate it if something would get tied up and not allow them to activate it.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
You are correct, that is what I meant.

I just didn't know if I sold it and someone else tried to activate it if something would get tied up and not allow them to activate it.

Only for Verizon, you must deactivate it from your account before it can be activated on another account.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Only for Verizon, you must deactivate it from your account before it can be activated on another account.

Yes, this is important. Many people don't do this before they sell a Verizon iPhone and it causes problems for the buyer.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Why do you care? I don't smoke but I'm going to go buy a big cigar and light it with a $100 bill..... simply because I can. What you think about that?

Last edited:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Why do you care? I don't smoke but I'm going to go buy a big cigar and light it with a $100 bill..... simply because I can. What you think about that?

I actually don't care about the OP specifically, I was commenting on what I have seen generally looking at American culture. Quite a shame considering your country wastes $165 billion worth of food when 1 in 5 Americans struggle to put food on the table.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
America's great isn't it? You can start a lawsuit here over anything, the internet plans are way overpriced, almost every company does tax evasion, the politicians are corrupt, a good percentage is overweight, most of us don't even know the world's geography and we're very gullible and easily entertained. 'Murica #1!

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I actually don't care about the OP specifically, I was commenting on what I have seen generally looking at American culture. Quite a shame considering your country wastes $165 billion worth of food when 1 in 5 Americans struggle to put food on the table.

Lol just hacking on you. I for one agree with you and also agree that Americans in general are a greedy self absorbed populous that say they aren't by stating how much they donate time or money to charity. Of course I'm being very general but you get my point. As a general rule we whine about EVERYTHING that we think is taking away some of our "rights". I've read the Constitution several times and I don't see any where in the document where it's a guarantee that we can own a 100 round magazine for an AR15, yet some will insist that owning that magazine is one of our protected rights. We whine about crappy roads yet whine about the taxes needed to fix them. We say we have the best healthcare system in the world and maybe it is if you can afford it, yet we are way down on the list for actual health of our nation.

As a general rule I agree with how most of the rest of the world views us. (those that have actually spent time living outside the US probably understand what I mean) It's pretty sad but when you're founded by religious zealots and people that didn't want to pay their taxes you're bound to run into trouble. However the idea of America is what makes our country great, even IF it's been usurped by those that equate person wealth with success/happiness.

Last edited:

Garrett67

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
I'm actually curious now. Why are you selling it op?

Because I'm an American and I can do whatever I want to. ;)

And LOL at this thread, all because I want to sell a mobile phone. I'm glad I didn't ask anything serious.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.