Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad 3 upgrade

• iPad 4

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • iPad Mini

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Stay with iPad 3

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • Waiting for iPad 5

Votes: 24 21.6%

• Total voters

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
That is great reasoning. I would like to have all my devices using lighting. Now I need different cords or expensive adapters. I refuse to buy the adapters. I will just carry multiple cords.

I own an iPhone 5 so all the adapters are bought already and I'm still not upgrading the iPad just yet.

ttNB

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Nor' Jersey & New York (Twi-State)
iPad 3 bad screen

I had received my iPad 3 in the mail the day before the iPad 4 (Thursday). And 2 mins into it a black line stayed from top to bottom on my screen. So I took it to an apple store, and told them about it right out of the box this was like this. So they talked to a manager and told me that we ran out of 3s, and since its launch day they had plenty of 4s. So they just switched me right there and the rest is history. But I have to say, my few hours with the 3, I do notice the response and snappiness of the A6X processor. And the games run a lot smoother. So in the end I was trying to save money by getting the 3 since they were almost identical in the sense of screen quality and everything else except the processor ,front camera, and the new lightning charger. I do appreciate the upgrade as probably in the next 6 months there will probably be the iPad 5 with the A7X with a quad core chip and so on... But for now I am the man with the new iPad 4, simply loving it
;):p

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
I own an iPhone 5 so all the adapters are bought already and I'm still not upgrading the iPad just yet.

did you get the iPad mini? did you consider the iPad 4, what made you decide to stay with the 3?

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Sticking with the 3rd gen until the next announcement. Bought an iPad mini but I think it'll be going back. Excellent form factor but going from the iPad's retina display and speed to this is rough.

GSF

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Well for me i upgraded to a iPad Mini and have no regrets! Love my 64GB Black Wifi iPad Mini :)

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
It seems like the trade in value on the iPad 3 is low. It is only 7 mts old and the 4 looks the same with a faster a6x. I would think I could do better than 59 % of what I paid.

Mine is valued at 73%. This is after the new one has already come out so that's not bad at all. iPad 3 may only be half a year old but it's now a generation old. I usually use Craigslist but I may just resort to Amazon because I assume CL is full of lowballers trying to take advantage of iPad 3 sellers.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I have technically upgraded (I have a 4 in a box beside me) but I haven't yet brought myself to open it. I do have some performance issues with the 3 so am improved 3 is important to me that said the upgrade will cost around €250 (okay no worse than an on contract iPhone) and so I'm torn between wanting the improved performance now and holding on for likely another year for the iPad 5.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
My iPad 3rd Gen is still working very well. No need or intend to get a 4th Gen. I wait for spring 2013 and get the 5th Gen following the new 6mon release cycle ;)

But serious: no issue with my iPad 3; don't feel any lack of graphic power which could justify an early upgrade.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Why is the LTE version's value especially shot?

Most people looking for LTE tablets either want the latest generation model or want the best possible deal they can get on used model.

iPad 3 LTE is last generation. Paying $130 premium for LTE chip. You may only get $25-50 back on that extra $130 you just spent.

Add that to the drastic decrease in resell value of all iPad 3's.

So if wifi iPad 3 16GB is going for $325-350 on Craigslist. Your LTE 16GB iPad 3 may only net you $350-400. And even bigger lost than the wifi model.

And higher end models like the 64gb LTE. The spread cost resell is even worst. You may hope for a $600 resell on a $829 purchase plus taxes. Over a $230 and more loss.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Definitely keeping my iPad 3. I love it and there is no earthly reason to take a loss after 6 months in order to upgrade. Got a Mini for on the go but it is boxed up and is going back. Love the form factor, it's gorgeous...can't stand the screen.

I will wait for the next upgrade cycle, whenever that will be :)

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
ilounge has a good review of the ipad 4.

in my opinion, this is a difficult to justify upgrade for me as an ipad 3 owner.

tim100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 25, 2009
Definitely keeping my iPad 3. I love it and there is no earthly reason to take a loss after 6 months in order to upgrade. Got a Mini for on the go but it is boxed up and is going back. Love the form factor, it's gorgeous...can't stand the screen.

I will wait for the next upgrade cycle, whenever that will be :)

the mini form factor is great but i agree with you regarding the screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.