Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
First and foremost I want to say I LOVE the iPad Mini's design, portability, lightness, size, and speed from the "bad" A5 Processor. Everything is great...BUT (you all knew this was coming) my eyes (for the first time in a long time) are sore. I'm 23 years old with 20/20 vision so I'm not some old man...but man this screen is killing my eyes.

I'm pissed to because I love how I can type in landscape/portrait with my thumbs (HUGE FEAUTURE for me). I think my eyes have been spoiled by retina and from the amount of time I spend on website/forums/surfing the web the font is killing me. I'm sure the books look better since they're formatted better...but websites are KILLING my eyes. Another big example is if you type something in wrong and the correct spelling comes up under it in blue, it looks TERRIBLE!

I don't even know if Retina would make it that much better because the font is still pretty small and when I zoom in to view the entire width of the paragraph its still a little too small.

I'd like to know if anyone else feels this way and despite trying to work with the screen it just didn't work out. I love my Apple products, but I'm not willing to ruin my eyes/cause headaches over them.

I think I'm going to have to return it and get the 4. I'm pissed bc now I'm spoiled by the portability lol...but a Retina screen is a Retina screen.

Last edited:

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I know that feel bro. I may end up exchanging mine for the iPad 4. I also like the device but the screen is annoying. Today I drove over to my local Apple store and compared my mini alongside the 4 and its not even a comparison. The non retina screen is glaringly obvious and since I want to use a tablet to mostly read and browse the web it is a big deal. Also, I don't really feel that the full sized iPad is that big or heavy. I think people are over exaggerating that. Remember when the iPad first came out and everyone couldn't believe how thin and light the device was? Now it's suddenly a monstrosity that is too heavy to carry anywhere lol. That's worse then people complaining about no retina.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Oh Lord.. thread number 300 bitching about the same thing. You couldn't post this complaint in an existing thread?

I'm not bitching...it's crazy how I make a lot of valid points and now "I'm bitching". I think a lot of people can stand behind this product because its Apple...but releasing anything other than iMacs/Macbooks without Retina is a joke and you know it. If you (or anyone else) love the iPad Mini then go ahead...I'm not stopping you. I'm just making some valid points.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not bitching...it's crazy how I make a lot of valid points and now "I'm bitching". I think a lot of people can stand behind this product because its Apple...but releasing anything other than iMacs/Macbooks without Retina is a joke and you know it. If you (or anyone else) love the iPad Mini then go ahead...I'm not stopping you. I'm just making some valid points.

Fine make "valid" points and return it. Blog about it later tiger.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

No its not a joke to release the iPad mini without a retina display. Just because you think it is doesn't make it so. There is many more factors that weigh into decisions such as this. I don't think anyone (well maybe some) are just standing behind this product just cause its Apple. For some of us this product is actually useful and will serve a purpose in our lives (even without a retina display). You think you are making valid points and that is okay, maybe in your world or way of thinking you are. However, the rest of us just don't live in your world were everything has to be a certain way to find acceptance or usefulness. I am not stopping you from bitching... I am just saying there were already other thread and so you didn't need to create a new one.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I don't have 20/20 vision (far worse than that) but I wear glasses so I am still able to see the pixels on the Mini's screen. :(

----------

Oh Lord.. thread number 300 bitching about the same thing. You couldn't post this complaint in an existing thread?

When 300 people are bitching about the same problem in the same forum, you know that it's a real problem affecting real users.:rolleyes:

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
No its not a joke to release the iPad mini without a retina display. Just because you think it is doesn't make it so. There is many more factors that weigh into decisions such as this. I don't think anyone (well maybe some) are just standing behind this product just cause its Apple. For some of us this product is actually useful and will serve a purpose in our lives (even without a retina display). You think you are making valid points and that is okay, maybe in your world or way of thinking you are. However, the rest of us just don't live in your world were everything has to be a certain way to find acceptance or usefulness. I am not stopping you from bitching... I am just saying there were already other thread and so you didn't need to create a new one.

Another person "justifying" their purchase. This is like ford taking out automatic windows and cd players/dashboards to let the battery last longer...it's the norm. Retina display on all their mobile devices is the norm (except for the 2 year old iPad 2).

I WISH! I just wish Apple released tis with retina...people SOLELY focused on the "old" A5 processor...then flashed them back into this moment of time showing them that not only what they are bitching about is true...but there isn't Retina in the device. That's the only way to get people's true reactions. This is just like political parties...if Obama was a Republican and did the same EXACT things he's doing now Republicans would LOVE him and Democrats would HATE him...but because the line has been drawn in the sand we can't go back. So when it was announced that there wasn't Retina in the Mini...people started building up stories/theories to defend it...

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Another person "justifying" their purchase. This is like ford taking out automatic windows and cd players/dashboards to let the battery last longer...it's the norm. Retina display on all their mobile devices is the norm (except for the 2 year old iPad 2).

Another person that has a personal preference they think everyone else should buy into because they do. I am not about to give you a lesson on why Apple decided not to go retina, but there are about 14 thread on the subject... But then you don't read other threads right.. or else you wouldn't have started your on, with a topic that has been discussed over and over. Try reading through a few of those, maybe you'll learn something other than just wanting what you want and bitching cause you aren't getting it.

No one needs to defend anything, the product as it is will work great. If the fact that it doesn't have the display you want, doesn't work for you, then just don't buy the damn thing. This isn't rocket science. The device works great for my purposes! Maybe you need to justify your not purchasing it. hmmmm

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I don't have 20/20 vision (far worse than that) but I wear glasses so I am still able to see the pixels on the Mini's screen. :

When 300 people are bitching about the same problem in the same forum, you know that it's a real problem affecting real users.:rolleyes:

I am 53 years old been wearing glasses since I was 11. I have no issues with this screen.

It isn't retina, its been known the damn thing wasn't going to have retina since before anyone made a single purchase. Yet some bought it thinking I guess magically that it was going to look as good a retina. This isn't logical and doesn't even make good sense.

Clearly there are some that will have an issue with it. I'd dare say the folks on this forum likely do not mirror the average joe that are buying these devices. Most will find them acceptable and will enjoy owning them.

Forums like this always draw out those that complain that is nothing new.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Just hold the iPad mini in landscape if the font is too small for you.

That's how I use mine for web surfing. In portrait I didn't like it but once I started using it in landscape it is great. Is it retina? No, but it is fine and the deice has so many other positives...I don't see myself using the family ipad 3 much anymore. I do understand if the text is too small for some but the whole screen sucks thing is going way overboard....

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Some people are so anal about specs, I hate that term retina, I looked at the screen and it was fine, some have nothing to do but bitch, don't like it take it back, it's like Apple is holding a gun to your head to buy it the way some of you bitch.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I am 53 years old been wearing glasses since I was 11. I have no issues with this screen.

It isn't retina, its been known the damn thing wasn't going to have retina since before anyone made a single purchase. Yet some bought it thinking I guess magically that it was going to look as good a retina. This isn't logical and doesn't even make good sense.

Clearly there are some that will have an issue with it. I'd dare say the folks on this forum likely do not mirror the average joe that are buying these devices. Most will find them acceptable and will enjoy owning them.

Forums like this always draw out those that complain that is nothing new.

amen...I'm 62 and have no problem with the screen....it could be better, but I have no problem with it. In fact for Keynote presentations, my main use, it is damn near the same as my Ipad 4....I certainly don't need to start my own thread and "pronounce" how I feel and what action I'm going to take...the world is not sitting on pins and needles waiting for me to decide what I think...it's just macrumors crap that everyone has to pen his evaluation...total nonsense....

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Kind of the response I had to the iPad 2 when I got it. It was my first iPad, and I loved almost everything about it. But the iPhone 4 had spoiled my eyes. I could tell the display wasn't bad, but it just wasn't the awesomeness of the iPhone 4.

My parents say they can't tell the difference, so I'm guessing plenty of people will be completely satisfied. But once you've read text on a Retina display, it's hard to use a portable device without it. I'm sure it'll be the same thing once iMacs get Retina displays, although I'm hoping I won't need a new darn iMac soon.

hugesaggyboobs

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
Agree with the OP. I love this damn little guy though! I wish the screen was Retina...

I can't go back to non-Retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.