Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
I got really excited about the mini and picked one up on launch day. I'm now starting to consider sending it back. My main complaint is the UI got shrunken down, but my fingers are still the same size.

For example, if on the iPad 2 there were 8 buttons across perfectly optimized for my finger to hit one, and only one, now on the mini, the 8 buttons are physically closer together, resulting in me hitting more than one simultaneously!

Browsing on Safari, I constantly was hitting tabs when I was going for the back button.

On the iPhone, the entire UI is different, and is not a 9.7" UI shrunken down to 4". Anyone else having the same problem I'm having?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Apple and developers might have to make a bunch of UI changes.

Apple needs to let users change font size and app button size in safari and other apps.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I got really excited about the mini and picked one up on launch day. I'm now starting to consider sending it back. My main complaint is the UI got shrunken down, but my fingers are still the same size.

For example, if on the iPad 2 there were 8 buttons across perfectly optimized for my finger to hit one, and only one, now on the mini, the 8 buttons are physically closer together, resulting in me hitting more than one simultaneously!

Browsing on Safari, I constantly was hitting tabs when I was going for the back button.

On the iPhone, the entire UI is different, and is not a 9.7" UI shrunken down to 4". Anyone else having the same problem I'm having?
Steve Jobs suggested Apple to include sandpaper in the package so that we can sand down our fingers to half the current size. He was talking about 7" tablets, so for 7.85", you can sand it down less, maybe 2/3;)

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
It's a non issue for millions. Yet Apple cannot possibly satisfy everyone. If it doesn't work for you, just don't use one.

Hey, Hey... don't come in here using good logical common sense. You know that iPad Mini is flawed. The icons are shrunk and barely visible with that non-retina display. LOL

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL

I don't see how this is an issue since you already have an iPhone and have to adjust from that to the iPad now.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

so you dont use safari on your iPhone? which one is smaller:rolleyes:

hugesaggyboobs

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012

I totally agree with this and I've been saying this all along.

Everything gets smaller and closer together. UIs need to change for the Mini.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

You'll adapt. It's what humans do.

hugesaggyboobs

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
so you dont use safari on your iPhone? which one is smaller:rolleyes:

You realize that the Mini is using unchanged iPad 9.7 user interfaces? That these user interfaces are more cluttered than the iPhone versions?

Take Safari for instance. On the iPhone, the UI elements are FARTHER apart. To me I knew people would complain about scaling iPad 2 interfaces down to the Mini. You can't just scale down these UIs and expect everything to work. They're scaling down by an order of about 20%. I can see instances where UIs for the Mini need to be custom to account for the smaller screen.

Look at how small that URL bar looks in Safari on the Mini!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.