Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
Johnny Football
Passing: 30/36, 311 yards
Rushing: 29 carries, 129 yards, 2 TD (not including a TD run incorrectly ruled a fumble)

Ags roll 38-13 :D

That game was pathetic. The lack of effort was staggering. I knew our d-line was weak, but that was sad. The defense also couldn't cover basic, fundamental tackling. There were guys out of position, DBs playing 5 yards off the receiver, and zero effort all around. I have been watching MSU football for 20+ years, and the last time I saw effort that poor was the 2008 game vs. Ole Miss, when the team had basically quit on Croom. Defensive coordinator Chris Wilson should have been fired immediately following that game. And for the first time in 4 years, I'm questioning Mullen.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
You shouldn't be questioning Wilson and Mullen. This offense does it to almost everyone. Unless you've got players like Florida, LSU and Bama do, you've got little chance of slowing it down. Hell, even LSU gave up over 400 yards to us, we just made too many mistakes to beat them.

I remember in the early 2000s when OU and Texas Tech first started running it, they put up sick numbers on pretty much everyone in the Big 12 and opened a ton of eyes. Leach never had a (run/pass) QB like Johnny Football, either.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Can't believe we beat Tech today - especially in Lubbock. Glad to see the Horns still have some life in them.

This Pitt/Notre Dame game is a good one. It'd be nice to not have to listen to Notre Dame in the title conversation anymore. :) EDIT: Notre Dame scores and gets the 2 point conversion. All tied up!

Last edited:

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Nice win for UGA. Really thought Ole Miss would play them tough…and looked that way for a half. Better team took control in the second half, though.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Alabama big over LSU (like 17 point spread)

K State over Oklahoma State by a trillion points

Oregon big over USC (21+)

Georgia 14 points over Ole Miss

Oklahoma over Iowa State barely (3 points or less)

A&M over Mississipi State

Texas over Texas Tech

Was wrong about a couple of my scores, but 7/7.

Last edited:

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm flipping back and forth between the Oregon and Alabama game. Wow, talk about two completely different experiences.

Not at all impressed with Oregon's defense, but damn, they sure can score when they want to.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
LSU showing a lot of fight. Okie State trying to mount a comeback on K-Stare.

Can they REALLY not come up with something a little better than "Johnny Football"?

Its an old school nickname he's had since high school. He grew up in a small town in the middle of nowhere west of San Antonio.

So probably not, but I like it anyway despite its hokiness.

----------

And LSU has the lead.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
What a heartbreaking loss for LSU. Great finish by Alabama!

Crazy ending. I didn't think they were gonna pull it out. Texas A&M won't be easy, either. But the LSU game should keep the Tide from being overconfident.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Crazy ending. I didn't think they were gonna pull it out. Texas A&M won't be easy, either. But the LSU game should keep the Tide from being overconfident.

Way better than last years game that's for sure!

I didn't understand LSU's DEF game plan on that last drive. McCarron wasn't struggling because he was having a bad day, it was due to LSU was playing excellent press coverage and being aggressive so it was baffling to see them play loose/prevent defense. Being ranked 5th in the nation, I don't know why LSU decided to play cautiously at the end. There was nothing really to lose. You want to make up for the embarrassing BCS game so they should've remained aggressive.

As for 'Bama, this had to humbling experience but also shows them playing a complete game from start to end regardless of stats or situation.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
You shouldn't be questioning Wilson and Mullen. This offense does it to almost everyone. Unless you've got players like Florida, LSU and Bama do, you've got little chance of slowing it down. Hell, even LSU gave up over 400 yards to us, we just made too many mistakes to beat them.

I remember in the early 2000s when OU and Texas Tech first started running it, they put up sick numbers on pretty much everyone in the Big 12 and opened a ton of eyes. Leach never had a (run/pass) QB like Johnny Football, either.

It's been a problem all year. Wilson like running a "bend but don't break" defense, and I hate it. Receivers constantly have a huge cushion, and the defensive line has been useless all year. The line has single digit sacks between all of them. It's a shame, too, since the secondary is pretty good, but the best secondary is wasted if you can't get any pressure on opposing QBs. Troy and Tennessee put up huge numbers, and we got saved because they shot themselves in the foot.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Way better than last years game that's for sure!

I didn't understand LSU's DEF game plan on that last drive. McCarron wasn't struggling because he was having a bad day, it was due to LSU was playing excellent press coverage and being aggressive so it was baffling to see them play loose/prevent defense. Being ranked 5th in the nation, I don't know why LSU decided to play cautiously at the end. There was nothing really to lose. You want to make up for the embarrassing BCS game so they should've remained aggressive.

As for 'Bama, this had to humbling experience but also shows them playing a complete game from start to end regardless of stats or situation.

I was at the game last November - when Alabama looked like they were going to lose again last night, the same feeling came over me. Until the final drive, that is. But some of LSU's play calls were just odd. As Miles said at halftime, he should have kept some of them under his hat. I do have to hand it to LSU, though - they took the game right to Bama and almost came away with it.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I soooooo wanted ND to lose
Pitt lost the game, ND didn't win it ;)
Not sure ND will be the Trojans

Dawgs looked good in the second half
Auburn is a rivalry game for us, regardless of the records

Bama looked mortal, and they better come to play next week with the Aggies

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
I was at the game last November - when Alabama looked like they were going to lose again last night, the same feeling came over me. Until the final drive, that is. But some of LSU's play calls were just odd. As Miles said at halftime, he should have kept some of them under his hat. I do have to hand it to LSU, though - they took the game right to Bama and almost came away with it.

That fake field goal was ridiculous. Also, that early offensive pass interference call against Bama was 100% wrong.

McCarron was struggling because the 3 pass then punt routine wasn't getting there, especially when almost every single running play netted Bama at least 4-5 yards. That game goes much differently, and much less close, had we kept the ball on the ground more. IIRC, he was also flirting with finally getting round to throwing a pick for most of the night.

On a side note, LSU (u mad breaux?) has now lost 4 times in Death Valley at night. All 4 losses were to UA.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
There was also that pass interference call against LSU, which wasn't pass interference at all

----------

My AP Top 10:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. K State
4. ND
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State
7. Florida
8. Clemson
9. Florida State
10. LSU/Louisville

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
It's been a problem all year. Wilson like running a "bend but don't break" defense, and I hate it. Receivers constantly have a huge cushion, and the defensive line has been useless all year. The line has single digit sacks between all of them. It's a shame, too, since the secondary is pretty good, but the best secondary is wasted if you can't get any pressure on opposing QBs. Troy and Tennessee put up huge numbers, and we got saved because they shot themselves in the foot.

Obviously what Miss St did, didn't work, but getting pressure on Manziel isn't always the thing to do, oddly enough. Florida shut him down by not rushing him in the second half, because they wanted to make sure he didn't beat them with his feet. Not 100% sure that will work now, given his comfort level in the offense and the coaches' confidence in the passing game, but it certainly worked in Game 1. LSU mixed it up, but they also didn't need to bring extra guys to generate a pass rush because their DEs are so good.

Bottom line, Mullen is probably the best coach at MSU outside of Sherrill, and while he hasn't gotten you guys over the hump, yet, I think it would be an awful mistake to get rid of him.

There was also that pass interference call against LSU, which wasn't pass interference at all

----------

My AP Top 10:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. K State
4. ND
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State
7. Florida
8. Clemson
9. Florida State
10. LSU/Louisville

Looks pretty good. I'd put K-State above Oregon and LSU above Clemson, FSU and Louisville, but otherwise I'd agree.

Last edited:

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
1. Alabama
2. K State
3. Oregon
4. Georgia
5. ND
6. Florida
7. Clemson
8. Florida St.
9. Louisville
10. LSU

*Ohio State not in because of their probation

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States

----------

My AP Top 10:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. K State
4. ND
5. Georgia
6. Ohio State
7. Florida
8. Clemson
9. Florida State
10. LSU/Louisville

I was close:

1 Alabama
2 Oregon
3 Kansas State
4 Notre Dame
5 Ohio State
5 Georgia
7 Florida
8 Florida State
9 LSU
10 Clemson

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I was close

Yep, good call. New BCS rankings are out...

1. Alabama
  2. Kansas State
  3. Oregon
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Georgia
  6. Florida
  7. LSU
  8. South Carolina
  9. Louisville
  10. Florida State
  11. Oregon State
  12. Oklahoma
  13. Clemson
  14. Stanford
  15. Texas A&M
  16. Nebraska
  17. Texas
  18. UCLA
  19. USC
  20. Louisiana Tech
  21. Mississippi State
  22. Texas Tech
  23. Rutgers
  24. Northwestern
  25. Toledo

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
Yep, good call. New BCS rankings are out...

1. Alabama
  2. Kansas State
  3. Oregon
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Georgia
  6. Florida
  7. LSU
  8. South Carolina
  9. Louisville
  10. Florida State
  11. Oregon State
  12. Oklahoma
  13. Clemson
  14. Stanford
  15. Texas A&M
  16. Nebraska
  17. Texas
  18. UCLA
  19. USC
  20. Louisiana Tech
  21. Mississippi State
  22. Texas Tech
  23. Rutgers
  24. Northwestern
  25. Toledo

Good grief, how are we even still ranked after the last two weeks? Well, that should be fixed after the LSU game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.