Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Both serve different purposes for people. I use my ipad 3 to watch Netflix and use my mini for web browsing and games while my ipad 3 is occupied with Netflix. It's also a lot easier to carry the mini around as well.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
Both serve different purposes for people. I use my ipad 3 to watch Netflix and use my mini for web browsing and games while my ipad 3 is occupied with Netflix. It's also a lot easier to carry the mini around as well.

I do exactly the same thing as you.

I can't wait to bring the mini in my international travels as the full size iPad is just too heavy and I find it hard to hide.

I am busy on the lookout for classy pants with pockets that are for my mini.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Definitely! I find the mini to be a sweet spot for games. I don't game much on my iPhone because the screen is too small for much gaming IMO.
I do exactly,the same thing as you.

I can't wait to bring the mini in my international travels wherever I as the full size iPad is just too heavy and I find it hard to hide.

I am busy on the lookout for classy pants with pockets that are for my mini.

jmxp69

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I had a hard time fitting an iPad 3 (now iPad 4) in-between an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Air. Finally took the plunge 2.5 months ago; now I cant set the thing down. I'm afraid to touch a mini. I think I've made my fair share of contributions to APPL Shareholders this year. :D

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
Haha. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Ipad 3, and it is probably still overall my favorite. But the mini is so much more comfortable to hold, easier to carry around, and just sleek as hell. It's a gorgeous device IMO. I am stoked for the inevitable Ipad re-design.
I had a hard time fitting an iPad 3 (now iPad 4) in-between an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Air. Finally took the plunge 2.5 months ago; now I cant set the thing down. I'm afraid to touch a mini. I think I've made my fair share of contributions to APPL Shareholders this year. :D

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009

Yes it is a little redundant (in my opinion). I personally wouldn't own two tablets (unless one was work and one was for personal use). But whatever works for you, works for you.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Redundant or not, owning 2 iPads, of any size, for personal non-professional use is gross conspicuous consumption. Period. There is not a casual user on the planet who can remotely justify it beyond base materialistic desire.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
It's like owning a 13in and 11in MacBook airs

Don't see the point, unless ones for work and the other for home?
Still don't see the point

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
It's like owning a 13in and 11in MacBook airs

Don't see the point, unless ones for work and the other for home?
Still don't see the point

No, it's not the same.

I only use my iPad now when am at home watching and as a laptop replacement (you see, meaning saving money as no need for iMac or Mac anymore).

iPad Mini is going out me in my pocket anywhere in the world. For safety and security reasons, it is easier to hide or use it discretely in public than a full size iPad. It is better for many reasons, when you are on the go.

How hard is that to understand? That's not the same with the 11in and 13 in Mac Airs. Can you use either of them standing with one hand (anywhere regardless if you are sitting or standing still or walking etc)?

Pointless to your needs/uses but you get the idea now ... We hope. Don't know why we have to explain. Right, iDevices or any gadgets are all pointless.

Last edited:

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
none of us 'need' any iPad. But I intend the iPad for at home and mini anytime I leave the house.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Bottom line is if you have the money and you can justify both, then go for it. It doesn't have to be explained to anyone on this forum. GO FOR IT!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I purchased an ipad 3 but kept my ipad 1 . When the battery went down on the 3 I'd use the first one. Now that I have a mini, I think I'll get rid of one of them. I use my ipad almost exclusively these days. My MBP and old PC sit by lonely and unused longing for a purpose (joking) of course.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2011
Redundant or not, owning 2 iPads, of any size, for personal non-professional use is gross conspicuous consumption. Period. There is not a casual user on the planet who can remotely justify it beyond base materialistic desire.

100% agree

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012

We are all materialistic here for owning even a single gadget.

Disclaimer: I no longer have any expensive LCD TV or Home Theater system in my place. Am trying to be minimalistic except with portable gadgets (but in that process, I was able to get rid or do not find any need of my laptop and desktop).

But I guess, speaking of redundancy, for comfort, convenience and many thousand personal reasons & purposes some people have multiple LCD TVs in their homes ... One in the kitchen, one in the bedroom, one in the living room blah blah ...

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I bought both with a view of keeping one for myself.

I am pretty torn because

The 4 is clearly faster and I'm a photographer. So retina is great.

I'm also am it guy and Remote Desktop is perfect on the mini as is the portability.

What I imagine is ill keep the 4 and wait a generation on the mini. Or pick up another nexus 7. The mini in base form would be a great kick around. But the 32 gig with AppleCare is just too much to spend on a device which, while nice to have, is really just a bit more convenient.

$199 16 gig. I'd be all over owning both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.