Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
Hey guys,

I recently got a retina macbook pro and I want to update the SSD in the machine. I know I can get an external but I want in machine solution which leaves two options, using the SD card slot for expansion, or upgrading the SSD.

So my first question is can I upgrade the SSD, is this something the Apple Store does and has anyone done this? I know that I can buy and OWC Aura Pro but I would rather do it through Apple to maintain the warranty. I also want to know if anyone has actually put in an Aura Pro in their machine and what the results were?

I did go to an apple store and they said that you can change the SSD but you have to change the logic board with it because of how it is configured because just changing the SSD can bring about logic board failures, which may not make the Aura Pro and option.

As far as the SD card Slot I want to know if others use it for expansion, and if so what kind of speeds do you see, with read/write. And what the best card to get is.

Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks.

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
There's no need to change the logic board to change the flash stick in a MacBook Pro Retina, that's nonsense; however, the upgrade cost is stupid expensive so that may be prohibitive.

I've installed a couple of the Aura Pros in 2012 MBAs, and I don think they are as good/responsive as the native drives.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Lol what is a Toshiba/Samsung controller? Do you mean Marvell rather than Sandforce?

I'm under the impression that Samsung makes their own controller.

I guess I shouldn't include Toshiba. I didn't realize they had moved to a Sandforce controller.

Last edited:

G-Mo

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2010
Auckland, NZ
I'm under the impression that Samsung makes their own controller.

To my knowledge, Intel and Samsung use their own controllers... most others use either Marvell or SandForce. The Toshiba drives in Apple's 2012 devices use SandForce.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I upgrade my 2.3 Ghz rMBP from 256gb to 512gb by purchasing the OEM Samsung SDD at Ebay($600), removed from a new machine. ( look on the search for my post on the subject). The switch is really easy, don't beleive the logic board BS as you just need to backup your data (I used Cc Cloner) and then just transfer the data to the new SSD. The kit I bought comes with the required screwdrivers to open the laptop and do the switch; if you don't scratch the bolts or aluminum surfaces there is no way Apple would know you opened it. Just save your old SSD in case you need warranty at a later time so hou can switch them back if needed. ( I bought an Apple SSD adapter to 2.5 inch SATA in for $20 and a USB3.0 exterior case for $8 (Ebay) and am using my 256gb unit for backup. Speed of my 512gb is exactly as posted by everyone here with Black Magic software since is the OEM drive. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I upgrade my 2.3 Ghz rMBP from 256gb to 512gb by purchasing the OEM Samsung SDD at Ebay($600), removed from a new machine. ( look on the search for my post on the subject). The switch is really easy, don't beleive the logic board BS as you just need to backup your data (I used Cc Cloner) and then just transfer the data to the new SSD. The kit I bought comes with the required screwdrivers to open the laptop and do the switch; if you don't scratch the bolts or aluminum surfaces there is no way Apple would know you opened it. Just save your old SSD in case you need warranty at a later time so hou can switch them back if needed. ( I bought an Apple SSD adapter to 2.5 inch SATA in for $20 and a USB3.0 exterior case for $30 (Ebay) and am using my 256gb unit for backup. Speed of my 512gb is exactly as posted by everyone here with Black Magic software since is the OEM drive. Hope this helps!

thanks that does help. is this the sort of listing you got it from? did it say OEM in the listing?

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I upgrade my 2.3 Ghz rMBP from 256gb to 512gb by purchasing the OEM Samsung SDD at Ebay($600), removed from a new machine. ( look on the search for my post on the subject). The switch is really easy, don't beleive the logic board BS as you just need to backup your data (I used Cc Cloner) and then just transfer the data to the new SSD. The kit I bought comes with the required screwdrivers to open the laptop and do the switch; if you don't scratch the bolts or aluminum surfaces there is no way Apple would know you opened it. Just save your old SSD in case you need warranty at a later time so hou can switch them back if needed. ( I bought an Apple SSD adapter to 2.5 inch SATA in for $20 and a USB3.0 exterior case for $30 (Ebay) and am using my 256gb unit for backup. Speed of my 512gb is exactly as posted by everyone here with Black Magic software since is the OEM drive. Hope this helps!

Why in the world would you pay $600 for an 512GB SSD? :confused:

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Where is this Toshiba BS coming from?

AFAIK, I've yet to see confirmation of a Toshiba Sandforce drive in the 128gb rMBP 13. All rMBP 15 and all 2012 MBA's with 256gb and up SSD's are all Samsung. The only crappy Toshiba equipped models are the 128gb and 64gb models. I did an impromptu test at 2 different local Apple stores and all 128gb rMBP 13 had Samsung SSD's.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Hi mashinhead, yes that is the same vendor I bought from. The actual link from my purchase is this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271037500778?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$600 is the very best price I could find, there was another vendor selling it for the same price plus another one for $700 in Ebay. I also found one vendor outside Ebay but his price was even higher ($800).

On the 15.4 Retina, you have to install either the Samsung OEM or the OWC since it is a custom size that would not allow the installation of other SSD's (Beleive on the 13 inch rMBP you may be able to squeeze a 2.5 inch SSD). This is the link and picture for the Apple SSD adapter to the 2.5 inch SATA ($20) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221127157504?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

card.JPG

and this is the link and picture to the 2.5 inch SATA USB 3.0 case I bought ($9):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-Durable...653?pt=Hard_Drive_Pouches&hash=item4abccb285d
USB.JPG

The speed I was getting from the 256GB drive on the rMBP was as follows:

DiskSpeedTest%2520256gb%2520Drive%252010-6-2012.png

This is the speed I'm getting with the new 512GB OEM drive:

DiskSpeedTest%2520512GB%252010-13-2012.png

Finally this is the speed I'm getting with the 256GB on the external case:

DiskSpeedTest%2520Disco%2520Externo%2520256GB%252010-13-2012.png

As you can see the speed on the enclosure is substantially lower, most likely due to the quality of the adapters. I will very likely buy the OWC external case that will be launch later this year for around $65 (specially designed to re-use the OEM 256GB SSD of the rMBP once you upgrade to their 480GB SSD) to hopefully geta better performance (and look!). I did ordered the OWC, but returned it once I saw the statistics of it without even installing it.

Regards,

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
AFAIK, I've yet to see confirmation of a Toshiba Sandforce drive in the 128gb rMBP 13. All rMBP 15 and all 2012 MBA's with 256gb and up SSD's are all Samsung. The only crappy Toshiba equipped models are the 128gb and 64gb models. I did an impromptu test at 2 different local Apple stores and all 128gb rMBP 13 had Samsung SSD's.

Well, I believe the regular old MBPs are equipped with Toshiba SSDs, not the Retinas however, even those had a custom controller I believe.

4kusnik

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Guys I am about to order 13" with Core i7 but 128 SSD and in such configuration it will be much more affordable for me.

The question is will it be possible to upgrade SSD in the future when SSD become well below their current price?

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Are you getting the regular 13 inch or the retina version? Both are upgradeable in terms of the SSD, but the retina is the same custom side as the 15 inch retina (so I read) You may find in Ebay all 15.4 rMBP Apple SSD sizes (256, 512 and 768 GB)

So if you cannot afford 256gb go with 128gb, but will fill really fast unless you rely on external drives for pictures and such.

4kusnik

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Are you getting the regular 13 inch or the retina version? Both are upgradeable in terms of the SSD, but the retina is the same custom side as the 15 inch retina (so I read) You may find in Ebay all 15.4 rMBP Apple SSD sizes (256, 512 and 768 GB)

So if you cannot afford 256gb go with 128gb, but will fill really fast unless you rely on external drives for pictures and such.
I'm going to get 13" retina version with 128GB but afraid of not being able to upgrade it later when prices will be more wallet-friendly.

I saw SSD 256 512 768 pulled out from new Retina 15" for sale on ebay but not sure if they are compatible with Retina 13".

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.