Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bniu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
15" has 16GB as an option, even the 13" cMBP is capable of 16GB after market, so what's the deal?

4kusnik

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
I suppose if 16GB RAM, more powerfull CPU and discrete GPU were as an extra-cost option then 15" sales would be decreased. It's just a marketing approach and nothing else. I'd buy one with pleasure if 16GB Quad Core i7 and any discrete GPU would be available with 13".

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I suppose if 16GB RAM, more powerfull CPU and discrete GPU were as an extra-cost option then 15" sales would be decreased. It's just a marketing approach and nothing else. I'd buy one with pleasure if 16GB Quad Core i7 and any discrete GPU would be available with 13".

It would overheat all the time.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
Is there an empty space on the logic board where another set of RAM chips would fit?

I doubt there's space left for anything. This is Apple we're talking about, they're already pushing it as it it were.

iau

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Is there an empty space on the logic board where another set of RAM chips would fit?

It says the same about the old 13" but you still can put 16GB in it. Use 2x8GB instead, I'd guess.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

Only if you use a cooling system not designed for that much heat in that much space.

It would be thicker, but that's the point: either you choose hardware to fit the shell or a shell to fit the hardware.

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

I doubt there's space left for anything. This is Apple we're talking about, they're already pushing it as it it were.

2 x 8GB instead of 2 x 4GB, no extra space needed. Heat is not going to be a problem, going from 2 x 4 GB to 2 x 8 GB might require .5 to 1 watt more power which is nothing.

The reason apple only has 8 GB is built-in obsolescence. Just as they always skimp on Vram.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
The reason apple only has 8 GB is built-in obsolescence.

Correct. Same reason the MBA is so RAM constricted, and has no user-serviceable storage, either.

Apple wants you to buy a laptop and then replace it a couple years later with a new one. Can't have an owner adding third party RAM or storage to make it last a couple more years - cuts into Apple sales.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
2 x 8GB instead of 2 x 4GB, no extra space needed. Heat is not going to be a problem, going from 2 x 4 GB to 2 x 8 GB might require .5 to 1 watt more power which is nothing.

The reason apple only has 8 GB is built-in obsolescence. Just as they always skimp on Vram.

The RAM is soldered directly onto the logic board. There are 8 memory IC, each are 1GB capacity. If you go over to ifixit, you'll see that there isn't space for a second set of 8 chips. As for using higher capacity chips, that probably is an option but they're either cost prohibitive or don't exist yet in the low power format that Apple has moved to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.