Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Since I'm getting an iP5 I thought I'd give my iPhone 4 to a friend who is still rockin' the iP3GS. Problem is my iP4 is Japanese and they're in Canada.

I still have the Gevey SIM for my iP4. Actually never used it. Might turn out to be quite useful for my friend.

The iP4 uses the Micro SIM and not the new Nano SIM right? My friend's iP3GS is also using the Micro SIM on Fido right? So this should be a done deal? Is the iP3GS using CDMA or GSM on Fido?

#2) If this all works out what about the Hot Spot tethering option in the settings? It was removed by SoftBank here in Japan. I had to JB it to get that setting back. I have since restored to factory iOS5 settings though.
If my friend updates to iOS6 via iTunes Canada will the tethering come back as a factory setting?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Since I'm getting an iP5 I thought I'd give my iPhone 4 to a friend who is still rockin' the iP3GS. Problem is my iP4 is Japanese and they're in Canada.

I still have the Gevey SIM for my iP4. Actually never used it. Might turn out to be quite useful for my friend.

The iP4 uses the Micro SIM and not the new Nano SIM right? My friend's iP3GS is also using the Micro SIM on Fido right? So this should be a done deal? Is the iP3GS using CDMA or GSM on Fido?

#2) If this all works out what about the Hot Spot tethering option in the settings? It was removed by SoftBank here in Japan. I had to JB it to get that setting back. I have since restored to factory iOS5 settings though.
If my friend updates to iOS6 via iTunes Canada will the tethering come back as a factory setting?
iPhone 3gs only supports GSM.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

*Ahem* the 3GS uses a normal SIM. Only the iPhone 4 uses a micro SIM.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
So now way to do this? Can my friend at least buy a micro SIM separately?

Like what tymaster50 said, the 3GS only supports GSM networks, so I do not know if it'll work on Canadian ones, you'll have to check with them.

If it does, take your friends normal SIM card & cut it to micro-SIM size. There are plenty of tutorials online that teaches you how to do this, & it's easier than going to the telco to exchange for a micro-SIM.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Like what tymaster50 said, the 3GS only supports GSM networks, so I do not know if it'll work on Canadian ones, you'll have to check with them.

If it does, take your friends normal SIM card & cut it to micro-SIM size. There are plenty of tutorials online that teaches you how to do this, & it's easier than going to the telco to exchange for a micro-SIM.
What do you mean? If my friend is using the 3GS then that means she's on a GSM network. iPhones support GSM. I've used my Japanese iPhone 4 on the Canadian GSM network. So there's no reason why this shouldn't work if my friend cuts the SIM to size right?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
What do you mean? If my friend is using the 3GS then that means she's on a GSM network. iPhones support GSM. I've used my Japanese iPhone 4 on the Canadian GSM network. So there's no reason why this shouldn't work if my friend cuts the SIM to size right?

Oh sorry, I got mixed up who was in Japan & who was in Canada. So in that case, yes, it will work. Just cut the SIM & it should be fine. :)

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I'm not with Rogers but with Telus in Canada you can buy a sim for $10 and swap to that sim online in your account. I'd hope Rogers would just sell your friend a micro-sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.