Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
If you don't own an iPad, now is a great time to jump in. For everyone else - wait until next year. Trust me.

Thanks. I always completely trust strangers opinions on the Internet.

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
This thread is pointless. I'm not being mean, it just strikes me as one guy's way of justifying why he does not own an iPad 4. The fact of the matter is that if you need an iPad NOW, it's a great time to buy. Is it worth upgrading from a 3? Possibly not. But if you use the iPad as a tool instead of a toy, 12 months wait is out of the question. I've upgraded from a 1, to a 3, returned for a 4, and couldn't be happier how it's turned out for me. Of course there'll be another great model 12 months from now - if its not a physical redesign, it'll be something else. In fact, I dare say that the changes expected on the next iPad will mostly be exterior for look and feel, and the actually speed jump may nowhere near rival the jump between the A5X and A6X. But who knows? I don't, nor do I care. I have many more years of enjoyment left with this iPad 4 and am not someone who needs to ride the crest of the tech wave like an insecure tool, upgrading every generation to make others around me envious or feed my ego (we all know a few a Apple fans like this). One thing I'm very happy about is that I've now boarded the Lightning express, meaning that my iPad will be compatible with a next generation of peripherals for another decade, and that's a massive draw for me.

At the end of the day, I'm lucky even to be in a position to own an iPad at all, and that's an amazing thing in itself.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
I totally agree with Op the ipad 5 will have chamfer edges and new design . Ppl should wait for new design and form factor . Also ipad 2,3,4 looks the same and no one knows what what ipad you are using lol

Why there are a lot of sarcastic *******s on this forum. Op has a good intention and he does not deserve that kind of response

NeonGreenHermit

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
UK
Also ipad 2,3,4 looks the same and no one knows what what ipad you are using lol

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Does it matter which iPad others think you're using? The user knows. That's all that matters to anyone but the fashion conscious. So sad.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
What the OP is not acknowledging is that in the mobile tech world, 12 months is an eternity.

I bought an iPad 1 because there was nothing else like it on the market. I held off on the 2 because it had the same screen, and the 3 because it used a chip that wasn't as fast as I was hoping for.

I finally picked up a 4 because it had combined enough of the improvements that I had been waiting for, and its a huge, night and day difference. Waiting another year would have just extended an already long wait.

Everyone has to figure out their own threshold for waiting it out. I'd reached mine as my old iPad had become a frustration rather than a joy. We'll see what happens next year. I hope they deliver something else great.

michelob tfs

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
This thread is pointless. I'm not being mean, it just strikes me as one guy's way of justifying why he does not own an iPad 4. The fact of the matter is that if you need an iPad NOW, it's a great time to buy. Is it worth upgrading from a 3? Possibly not. But if you use the iPad as a tool instead of a toy, 12 months wait is out of the question. I've upgraded from a 1, to a 3, returned for a 4, and couldn't be happier how it's turned out for me. Of course there'll be another great model 12 months from now - if its not a physical redesign, it'll be something else. In fact, I dare say that the changes expected on the next iPad will mostly be exterior for look and feel, and the actually speed jump may nowhere near rival the jump between the A5X and A6X. But who knows? I don't, nor do I care. I have many more years of enjoyment left with this iPad 4 and am not someone who needs to ride the crest of the tech wave like an insecure tool, upgrading every generation to make others around me envious or feed my ego (we all know a few a Apple fans like this). One thing I'm very happy about is that I've now boarded the Lightning express, meaning that my iPad will be compatible with a next generation of peripherals for another decade, and that's a massive draw for me.

At the end of the day, I'm lucky even to be in a position to own an iPad at all, and that's an amazing thing in itself.

Totally agree. Nail hit firmly on the proverbial head.

This thread provides no new information to what everyone already realises

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The iPad 4 is a significant improvement over the 3, so anyone upgrading now will get to enjoy one of the fastest idevices around. Yay!

But, I think I may be done with Apple. It doesn't feel innovative anymore, it's overpriced relative to the competition, and I think we are getting jerked around with this new 6 month cycle.

It's no different than Android, except that Android products are innovative, less expensive, and better spec'd. If you can find the apps you want on Android, then I'd recommend stepping out of the increasingly restrictive and uninspiring Appleverse to look at the Nexus 10. No more silly proprietary connectors. No more anemic RAM. No more iTunes clogging up your hard drive. Just pure performance.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Does it matter which iPad others think you're using? The user knows. That's all that matters to anyone but the fashion conscious. So sad.

yeap, ppl has different opinion and preference, so you have no right to diss others opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.