Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
I actually don't mind the price I just wish the quality of materials was higher. To me it doesn't offer $80 worth of protection as the case feels like a knock-off Tupperware container. I have had one of my phones damaged while in this case and the other case that I bought leaked water which I was lucky enough to catch before it ruined my phone.

As for resale/protection, I would and have paid a lot of money for cases. I'm all for paying for quality and I would pay $100 for this case if it felt a little more solid and fixed the terrible feeling screen protector.

I actually wish a few companies would learn from Lifeproof and "borrow" some of their ideas. I actually really like the headphone screw and covered mute toggle. I also like the hinged charging port. I just wish the quality of materials were better and that the overall quality control was higher. I had to return 3 from their first batch until I got one that didn't leak water and that one leaked a week later.

For a person who needs a case that is ultra durable I don't think this is it. As an every day case that provides minimal protection the Lifeproof seems just average from my use as long as the waterproofing seal holds. The biggest thing is that the marketing is really misleading as it isn't a completely "life proof" case. Needs more shock absorption, better quality materials, and a refined screen protector.

How bad is the screen protector?

Also, what case have you found that is best for your needs? I'm curious of which rugged cases are the "elite" ones.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Local Best Buy Manager told me they have a case of 25 for Sunday, but no pre orders.

That's funny as I've called every Best Buy around here and they said they have Zero in the stores and Zero in transit.

I just hope they ship the online orders. ;)

Update: just called our local store and they say they have some on the way and should be available on Sunday.

Last edited:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
How bad is the screen protector?

Also, what case have you found that is best for your needs? I'm curious of which rugged cases are the "elite" ones.

The one for the iPhone 4 is awful and this one looks the same to be honest. Not only does it not sit flush on the screen but it scratched the first time I stuck it in the front pocket of my jeans. Nothing in there but the phone so it must have scratched/scuffed as it rubbed on the lip of the pocket as I put it in or took it out.

The pillowing on the screen is also terrible. Sensitivity is not there and I always felt that I had to actually press down to get my phone to react instead of just gliding my finger across. It was not a fun experience. I was willing to accept that if the case was actually protective but it wasn't at all.

As for what case I use, I mentioned it above but on my iPhone 4 I use a Survivor by Griffin when I need rugged protection. Daily I use a Mophie Juice Pack Plus with a Bodyguardz Pure. The glass protector is a tight fit, but it fits and works fine inside of the Survivor. I treat that case like crap and it has held up really well. Even the crappy belt clip which feels flimsy hasn't broke over the course of the year that I have used the Survivor. Shocked me really.

My Mophie has been through hell as well and it looks pretty good. Even with the Pure it still has a slight lip and given that the case is so thick it protects the phone really well. I have dropped it a few times and it still looks ok. The back is a little scuffed up but the sides and the front are fine and have protected the phone.

For daily use when I get my iPhone 5 next week, I'll probably be going with a Candyshell Grip for daily use and one of the new Survivors for weekend/rugged use.

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I work for Best Buy and we aren't getting any lifeproof cases. Unless they do a drop shipment during the weekend.

UltraZ33

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Do you work at a bigger Best Buy store? My friend works at a big Best Buy store and they are gonna have them Sunday.

yes, I work at one of the biggest in my area. and there was no sign of them in our inventory system.....trust me, I was looking. haha

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Ive had mine pre-ordered from Bestbuy for about 5 days now and last night I noticed the status changed from 11/4 to status: unknown. It was supposed to ship either tomorrow or monday. Ill probably stop by after work tomorrow and see if they got any in.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
I am pretty confident my local store will have them tomorrow. I will be there when it opens.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
It would be nice if we could see Best Buy's Sunday ad for tomorrow.
I searched online with no luck. They might be in their ad tomorrow.:eek:

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
I am pretty confident my local store will have them tomorrow. I will be there when it opens.

I will be at mine tomorrow. Had to make a trip anyways. If so, I will get an extra or two and let you all know. At cost of course. Not looking to rape fellow members or anyone for that matter.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
My bestbuy order turned into a 1-2 week backorder. Store pickup shows not available for every store in the area. Hopefully the one by my house got some in.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
My bestbuy order turned into a 1-2 week backorder. Store pickup shows not available for every store in the area. Hopefully the one by my house got some in.

Same thing here :( I'm just going to call the local stores at 10:00 and see if they have any.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Aah, yes you can. It's just not called pre-order anymore since they have met the release date.

Heading to BB in a few minutes.

You think they have some in the store?
Every store on the site says unavailable :(

nascars321

macrumors member
May 13, 2010
Just stopped at a Best Buy in Columbus, OH they recieved none and no stores in the area have any.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.