Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Its time for me to get a new iPad...Still rockin my gen 1 and it's been flawless. Does whatever I need it to do, but getting super old by comparison to the new hardware out now. Anyway the interesting thing is I can't decide between the iPad mini or the iPad 4...but not because they are both so good, but because I don't know which one I like less. Then I realized that if each just had the great features from the other both would be "perfect"! Like so many people have mentioned, the iPad mini just needs an A6 (not for speed but more to bring it up to hardware spec with current technology ensuring a long life) and a retina screen, if it had both I'd buy it today, but it doesn't. On the other hand the iPad 4 feels heavy and it's form factor feels outdated by comparison so if it just had the updated design of the iPad mini IT would also be "perfect" and I would go buy one today, but it doesn't. So Apple has released two products that are almost there but not yet, and we all know that next versions they will add the things I just talked about.

So I think the issue is most people are trying to decide between the two not because both are great, but trying to decide which one is GOOD ENOUGH.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
I was in the same boat. Using a 1st gen iPad and decided to upgrade. I ordered a 64GB iPad 4 LTE and was set on that until I went into the Apple store yesterday and the form factor of the mini was just too much to pass up. Bought an iPad mini and am going to test run it for the next few weeks until the iPad 4 arrives. If it doesn't fit the bill I will return it and keep the 4. I travel about 100,000 miles per year and anything and everything that can lower weight in the bag helps.

I thought the screen would be too small on the mini, but it was bigger than I though when I saw it in person. The weight in unbelievable.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Its time for me to get a new iPad...Still rockin my gen 1 and it's been flawless. Does whatever I need it to do, but getting super old by comparison to the new hardware out now. Anyway the interesting thing is I can't decide between the iPad mini or the iPad 4...but not because they are both so good, but because I don't know which one I like less. Then I realized that if each just had the great features from the other both would be "perfect"! Like so many people have mentioned, the iPad mini just needs an A6 (not for speed but more to bring it up to hardware spec with current technology ensuring a long life) and a retina screen, if it had bith I'd buy it today, but it doesn't. On the other hand the iPad 4 feels heavy and it's form factor feels outdated by comparison so if it just had the updated design of the iPad mini IT would also be "perfect" and I would go buy one today, but it doesn't. So Apple has released two products that are almost there but not yet, and we all know that next versions they will add the things I just talked about.

So I think the issue is most people are trying to decide between the two not because both are great, but trying to decide which one is GOOD ENOUGH.
I got my iPad 4 on launch day - I would get the 4. It's quite an upgrade.

Just my opinion though. :)

Good luck! :)

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
How on earth are you content with the first gen ipad while complaining about the weight and form factor of the 4, and the speed of the mini. You do realize that the 4th gen weighs less than your 1st gen and the mini has a better processor than your 1st gen, right?

Either will be an upgrade by all accounts. What do you want, size or portability.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
How on earth are you content with the first gen ipad while complaining about the weight and form factor of the 4, and the speed of the mini. You do realize that the 4th gen weighs less than your 1st gen and the mini has a better processor than your 1st gen, right?

Either will be an upgrade by all accounts. What do you want, size or portability.

Um I don' think he is content which is why he is looking (also which is why I was looking). Your only choice before was a 2 or a 3. Both similar in weight. To me the 2 was not enough to warrant an upgrade. Had the 3 had an A6 chip I would have upgraded, but it also was not enough to warrant an upgrade for me. I was set on the 4 until I saw the mini and now had a choice to have a lower weight form factor, albeit at the cost of a faster processor, better screen, and more RAM. Both are upgrades of processors and likely screens as well.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011

Hahaha, I'm well aware of hardware and form factor differences even down to the chipset level. I've kept the iPad 1 because it still works perfect. That being said just because the iPad 4 is obviously thinner it still feels dated compared to the iPad minis new form factor (don't you agree?!?!)...As someone who sees no reason to upgrade every year I want one iPad that is up to date in form and function as well as specs, neither the current iPad mini or iPad 4 fit that description...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That makes a lot of sense. If you really want a temporary upgrade until next year, get the mini. Will take about a $200 smaller hit. I will tell you this though....every time I think I want a mini I look at the iPad 4 screen and instantly change my mind. Also a 4 will yield great resale.

I'm sure next year will be a thinner, lighter 5....but the 4 specs are very very future proof.

Last edited:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Hahaha, I'm well aware of hardware and form factor differences even down to the chipset level. I've kept the iPad 1 because it still works perfect. That being said just because the iPad 4 is obviously thinner it still feels dated compared to the iPad minis new form factor (don't you agree?!?!)...As someone who sees no reason to upgrade every year I want one iPad that is up to date in form and function as well as specs, neither the current iPad mini or iPad 4 fit that description...

Then I still dont understand the point of the thread. If the first gen does what you want it to do, and you don't like the other choices, then don't upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.