Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markus843

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
I love my macbook and everything, but the thing I don't get is when people are looking for a laptop to get, people recommend macbook's if they are going to use photoshop. Doesn't windows have photoshop also? :confused: Why do people say that macs are for creating music and pictures, doesn't a windows laptop do the same? I personally got a mac because windows kept giving me problems, + the build quality is the best ever. I don't really see the point in getting a macbook if you're just going to use it for photoshop. Is there a reason people say that macbooks are meant for programs like photoshop? :confused::confused::confused:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why does it matter if it works for you?

People say that because it's an oversimplification from the old days: Mac for designers, Windows for business. Like any broad, sweeping generalization it isn't a one-size-fits-all thing despite how it's used.

As always: consider the source. I'd find a better source for recommendations if that's what you're getting. Someone that relies on a crutch like that really shouldn't be giving advice. A recommendation should be based on the specific needs/wants of the person asking for the recommendation.

I don't really see the point in getting a macbook if you're just going to use it for photoshop.
What's the point in not getting one "just" (that's a big just) for Photoshop? The point is always subjective. Your point or points may not be the next person's point or points.

What seems odd to me is that you state that you got a Mac because of the problems you had with Windows and because of Apple's build quality. Is it so difficult to imagine that someone using Photoshop might have the very same concerns? Or even other reasons for wanting a Mac for Photoshop?

The why doesn't seem to matter to me as long as each person is selecting a solution that fits for that person. Whether a third person understands that decision or not is irrelevant.

Last edited:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I love my macbook and everything, but the thing I don't get is when people are looking for a laptop to get, people recommend macbook's if they are going to use photoshop. Doesn't windows have photoshop also? :confused: Why do people say that macs are for creating music and pictures, doesn't a windows laptop do the same? I personally got a mac because windows kept giving me problems, + the build quality is the best ever. I don't really see the point in getting a macbook if you're just going to use it for photoshop. Is there a reason people say that macbooks are meant for programs like photoshop? :confused::confused::confused:

Many many moons ago, the creative industries were generally pro Mac. It also depended on software etc. Now the lines between the two are more blurred. As you can do exactly the same on both sorts of machines.

Personally, I would never recommend buying a MacBook for just PhotoShop. I would base any recommendation on what persons actual needs will be.

You say you decided to go Mac because of build quality? They are built by the same people in the same factories as all the others. Having a better built quality is now just a myth, it is all in peoples heads.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Macs have always had system wide colour management.

Better font rendering.

Adobe created postscipt font, Apple created Truetype fonts.

The consistent, intuitive GUI of the Mac gave it a head start in any creative industry where other competing OSs were an absolute eyesore.

Windows was a hideous trainwreck that because popular because of the cost of the systems and the fact a command line was the only alternative on PCs.

It was common to see people using the Atari ST for midi sequencing because it had the closest interface to the Mac and built-in midi ports. It even had the nickname "Jackintosh" in the early 90s. The Mac had Pro Tools for recording so it became a standard in the professional studios that could afford it.

No matter what Microsoft do, they're only up to version 8 of their OS and it began as a simple GUI shell over DOS to compete with the original Macintosh.

Apple are technically up to 19 OS releases now if you make the assumption that every full decimal update of the Classic OS was counted as a new OS and every .1 increment of Mac OS X is a full update too.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Having a better built quality is now just a myth, it is all in peoples heads.[/QUOTE]

Really? Comparing my MBP with my laptop from work (Fuiji Siemens) is comparing a piece of art with a pavement stone........ Apple build quality is far better. The only match for me would be IBM Thinkpad series. (Don't know how the Lenovo Thinkpads are).

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
It's BS.
Satisfied Lenovo users would suggest those computers. Generally ignorant people blindly suggest to go Macbook for design, but that just doesn't make any sense. Don't listen to these absurdities.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
There you are wrong.
Adobe Photoshop is not something optimised for Mac OS X.
Software such as Keynote (iWork), Final Cut Pro (by Apple) and some other applications that are only found available to Mac OS X users are the reason why people get MacBooks. Also because of the user-friendliness of the operating system which makes people consider about getting a Macbook.
I did not get a Macbook Air for Photoshop, and certainly not other heavy softwares with only 2 GB RAM. Plus, Macbooks tend to overheat (tend:all_the_time), and Photoshop is not a light software so... Well for me, my Macbook Air would have the fan @ 6500rpm if I ran that application.

In conclusion, don't get a Mc for Photoshop

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Indeed get a MBP for photoshop, Lightroom, plugins...etc. That way you have an excellent machine in the field. That you can bring home and hook up with thunderbolt to a monitor and fast external drives. No PC laptop can do that.

DoctorCrap

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Penang, Malaysia
Indeed get a MBP for photoshop, Lightroom, plugins...etc. That way you have an excellent machine in the field. That you can bring home and hook up with thunderbolt to a monitor and fast external drives. No PC laptop can do that.

What a knowledgable and supportive Mac OS X user would say.
And what I would say xD.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
People don't recommend macs because they're necessarily any better at photoshop.

They recommend them to people who are looking to focus on stuff like photoshop because the apps are AVAILABLE.

If the person was looking to say, support an active directory domain (or some other windows only activity), doing it with a mac more hassle than just doing it from windows.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I'd say for OS X. It's generally easier to multitask in OS X than it is in windows, at least for me anyway. I was an avid windows user for a long time and only recently made the switch to Macs, there is a lot less going on in OS X that doesn't take away from productivity and design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.