Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
I was at the shopping mall today, and in front of one of the stores, I saw a big banner with "We have the new iPad Mini". So I just wanted to try it in the store, but the moment I had it in my hand, I was totally sold!

So... I got the last iPad Mini in store (16GB WiFi).. I can't really describe the feeling.. There's something about the Mini that just feels so right.

My iPad 2 feels heavy, thick and big, after having played with the Mini for an hour and going back to the iPad 2 I almost dropped it as it was heavier than I had thought :D

The screen of the Mini is definitely better than my iPad 2. They both have the "cold" screen which I prefer the most, but the brightness of the Mini's screen is far better than my iPad 2 - white is more white!

When the iPad 3 came out, and I compared it to iPad 2, I didn't think the screens were so different (retina vs. non-retina) - definitely not worth the pricey upgrade. The Mini comes just in between. I would almost call it retina. Text looks super crisp!

So now I'm just waiting for my red SmartCover.. Apple has screwed up with the Danish launch, so no of the shops have gotten any SmartCovers, but they should arrive early next week. So no need for waiting a week on shipping from the Apple Store :)

It's so nice that you can hold the Mini in one hand, and control it with the other. A thing that was hard with the iPad 2.

This simply makes Android tablets (e.g. Nexus 7) look totally cheap and awkward to use.

Well done :apple:!

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I got the iPad 2 as well and knowing the screen on Mini is the same is really no biggie. The retina compared to iPad 2 really wasn't worth the upgrade for me. A lot of people complaints about the Mini's display being poor and what not, but it's actually great. I haven't bough one (yet) since I already got an iPad, but used one in a store yesterday and it felt great!

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Yea I never picked up the 3 because I was waiting for some smaller, more compact for my commuting life. Not being accustomed to the retina screen is definitely a plus.

Now whether to keep the AT&T preorder or swap it out for the Verizon.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
LOL!!!!! Yeah, in an hour or so you won't even be able to read text on it anymore.....

It's worse than that, it causes sudden blindness to some who use it, just read the various threads on here. These poor people were duped into buying it without having tried it in store, took it home and lo' and behold, blindness took effect when they tried reading a few web pages. :eek:

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
By the way.. Does anyone know why Apple has shifted the mute/up/down buttons to the right instead of the left?

Edit:

Maybe because you'll be holding it in your left hand?

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
By the way.. Does anyone know why Apple has shifted the mute/up/down buttons to the right instead of the left?

Edit:

The smart cover attaches to the left side so it opens up like a book right to left.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
I was at the shopping mall today, and in front of one of the stores, I saw a big banner with "We have the new iPad Mini". So I just wanted to try it in the store, but the moment I had it in my hand, I was totally sold!

So... I got the last iPad Mini in store (16GB WiFi).. I can't really describe the feeling.. There's something about the Mini that just feels so right.

My iPad 2 feels heavy, thick and big, after having played with the Mini for an hour and going back to the iPad 2 I almost dropped it as it was heavier than I had thought :D

The screen of the Mini is definitely better than my iPad 2. They both have the "cold" screen which I prefer the most, but the brightness of the Mini's screen is far better than my iPad 2 - white is more white!

When the iPad 3 came out, and I compared it to iPad 2, I didn't think the screens were so different (retina vs. non-retina) - definitely not worth the pricey upgrade. The Mini comes just in between. I would almost call it retina. Text looks super crisp!

So now I'm just waiting for my red SmartCover.. Apple has screwed up with the Danish launch, so no of the shops have gotten any SmartCovers, but they should arrive early next week. So no need for waiting a week on shipping from the Apple Store :)

It's so nice that you can hold the Mini in one hand, and control it with the other. A thing that was hard with the iPad 2.

This simply makes Android tablets (e.g. Nexus 7) look totally cheap and awkward to use.

Well done :apple:!

My sentiments, exactly. Ditto for me :D

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark

I know that they have the SmartCovers in Eplehuset in Esbjerg. Were in the store at launch date, and they had all of the colors.

Quite nice to see other people from Denmark in here. :D

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
The mini is definitely a considerable step up from our old iPad 2.

Battery is also awesome. 4 hours use and 13% drop.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest
I bought the iPad Mini but I still really like my iPad 2 with 3G. I guess I'm just more used to it since I've had it awhile. I'm still debating whether or not I'll keep the Mini.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008

Edit:

Hasn't the mute and volume always been on the right? Or at least starting with iPad 2?

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark

Just a tip, being danish with a new iPad Mini myself.... Eplehuset (at least in Aarhus) have plenty of smart covers... I got the red one myself on friday.

Other than that, I can nothing but agree in your review.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
On full brightness:

Use: 1 hour 20 min
Standby: 6 hours 38 min

89% left :D love it!

----------

I know that they have the SmartCovers in Eplehuset in Esbjerg. Were in the store at launch date, and they had all of the colors.

Quite nice to see other people from Denmark in here. :D

Just a tip, being danish with a new iPad Mini myself.... Eplehuset (at least in Aarhus) have plenty of smart covers... I got the red one myself on friday.

Other than that, I can nothing but agree in your review.

Eplehuset must have been lucky. Tried Humac, Fona, Elgiganten and Expert. No smart covers. Unfortunately we don't have Eplehuset in Odense :(

Last edited:

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
Eplehuset must have been lucky. Tried Humac, Fona, Elgiganten and Expert. No smart covers. Unfortunately we don't have Eplehuset in Odense :(

Oh well...

Still considering an iPad mini or an iPad 4. Currently having an iPad 2. I would like to upgrade.. Which "upgrade" do you prefer? :)

Sweeperdk

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
Århus, Denmark
Oh well...

Still considering an iPad mini or an iPad 4. Currently having an iPad 2. I would like to upgrade.. Which "upgrade" do you prefer? :)

For me personally, the iPad Mini...

This is due to the formfactor, but also due to my personal needs... I don't game much, I use it for social media, news and so on.

The regular sized iPad I sold due to the fact that it didn't suit me... I purchased it to bring it with me everywhere, however I found myself grabbing my MBA instead, since the size was not that much bigger...

The Mini, on the other hand, fits in my coat pocket

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.