Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
AT&T's share plans definitely make much less sense than Verizon's, although Verizon doesn't even offer the "two grandmas" 300MB plan and doesn't give you discounts for each device you add. But you can get 1GB and 2GB plans, which are probably what most of us are accustomed to using, and Facetime doesn't cost anything extra.

Plus Verizon doesn't try to scam you on their "more 4G coverage" ads like AT&T does by calling most of its network 4G. At least Verizon limits that to its LTE network instead of upgrading 3G and just making up a name for advertising purposes.

Cody21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I was on an individual plan up until last week when I finally was able to switch to a mobile share plan. I was paying $99.90 a month and switching to the 4GB mobile share changed my monthly payment to $110. To me, being able to use personal hotspot, having an extra gig of data and being able to use facetime over cellular was worth it.

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Lets change this!

I filed my own complaint. It's easy to do, Anyone not able to FaceTime on AT&T unless they change plans, here's the link to file an FCC complaint on net neutrality. I uploaded the screen I get when I attempt to activate it in settings as an attachment.
https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000!onSubmitFormF.action
You may have to copy and past following to your browser.
http://act.freepress.net/sign/facetime/?ak_proof=1&akid=.8821885.hgFhSg&rd=1&t=2

Also Facebook has a petition circulating http://act.freepress.net/cms/thanks...2987&akid=.10036468.7fdY-Q&form_name=act&rd=1

Nothing is going to happen unless we get off our butts and do something about it.

Last edited:

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
I filed my own complaint. It's easy to do, Anyone not able to FaceTime on AT&T unless they change plans, here's the link to file an FCC complaint on net neutrality. I uploaded the screen I get when I attempt to activate it in settings as an attachment.

Also Facebook has a petition circulating http://act.freepress.net/cms/thanks...2987&akid=.10036468.7fdY-Q&form_name=act&rd=1

Nothing is going to happen unless we get off our butts and do something about it.

Wholeheartedly agree - I have signed the petition. I would quite happily pay $10-15 to have FaceTime and a mobile hotspot on unlimited up to the 5Gb on LTE.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011

Done... this should be a sticky!! It worked with the throttling situation we had and att now throttles at 3gb instead of 2gb (non LTE devices)

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
A few things I want to toss out here:

1. You should have done some research before buying an ATT iPhone. Many people knew they do not allow FaceTime over their cellular network.

2. I feel zero sympathy for people who say "I can't afford it", yet they own an iPhone. The iPhone is one of the most expensive phones available. If you cannot afford the monthly fee then you should not have the iPhone. It's like someone buying a $50,000 car and saying they can't afford the premium gasoline. The iPhone is a top of the line phone, if you get it expect to pay around $100 or more each month. Don't complain about it, you should expect to pay what you get.

3. There are apps that allow "FaceTime" through ATTs network, just do some research and download one.

pixelwix

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
2. I feel zero sympathy for people who say "I can't afford it", yet they own an iPhone. The iPhone is one of the most expensive phones available. If you cannot afford the monthly fee then you should not have the iPhone. It's like someone buying a $50,000 car and saying they can't afford the premium gasoline. The iPhone is a top of the line phone, if you get it expect to pay around $100 or more each month. Don't complain about it, you should expect to pay what you get.

this has nothing to do with being able to afford a plan. its simple principle. why would i pay for shared plan when i have nothing to share it with? why would i give away my limited unlimited plan so i can pay more for a plan that i get charged for going over my data cap? simply put, its about corporate greed plain and simple att wants people to to pay more for something that shouldn't be charged more for.

kashyap02004

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2011

1. You should have done some research before buying an ATT iPhone. Many people knew they do not allow FaceTime over their cellular network.

3. There are apps that allow "FaceTime" through ATTs network, just do some research and download one.

What do you mean iPhone is the most expensive phone. Just like any other smart phone, it is $199 with two year contract. And its not about $100. Its principle. Why do I have to have a family share plan when I am a single individual. That is exactly why there is an FCC complaint against ATT on this issue.

And yes even if I am a millionaire, I will still keep saying that "I can't afford it." Because I only use ~ 100 min of talk and ~700 MB of data per month. $95 is more then enough for that kind of usage.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I think at&t feels if you use FaceTime, you will make regular phone calls obsolete. Apple can easily make FaceTime without video, so they force you to buy unlimited minutes, so people have no motivation to use VOIP.

I guess it's like driving laws. If they let you drive 150 mph, no one would buy plane tickets.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Why AT&T has this much control bothers me.
Just count how much data I use, now how I use it.

Pretty soon you'll need a special plan to use Twitter or Facebook.

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Fully aware, that is beside the point.

I've been with AT&T since they were Cellular One, AT&T, Cingular, and AT&T again, have had the unlimited data family plan w/rollover as long as its been available so I'd have no need to worry about it. Point you seem to be having trouble understanding is that AT&T need not be treating their most loyal customers this way. All it takes for a wrong to stay wrong is for me/us to be like the sheep you are insinuating we should be and be run roughshod over. I'll not stand by helplessly. I've also owned every model of iPhone that's been on the market and am fully aware of what I was getting into buying each one of them. AT&T has taken a greedy approach to this. I believe when everyone capitulates that is going to capitulate, and no more are giving in to giving up on their unlimited data plans, AT&T will suddenly see the error of their ways and relent. It's already begun. P.S. I am well able to afford an iPhone 5, in fact my family each has one and have since Sept 21st, we're talking about $400.00 to $500.00, big deal. What may seem a huge expense to you may be menial to others. I purchased, and intend to keep unlimited data. We each use under 2gb per month currently and more often under 1gb, but I've been paying extra all these years to AT&T's enrichment, and now that it swings my way a little, they say sorry. It's the principal.:eek:

Last edited:

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Hurray for all that stood their ground.

You may have to copy and past following to your browser.
http://act.freepress.net/sign/facetime/?ak_proof=1&akid=.8821885.hgFhSg&rd=1&t=2

It worked for a minute, then back to wifi only.

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Just tried, made a call, no wifi, FaceTime is working on my unlimited plan. Patience and persistence pays off.:)
A bit too late for me now I'm with T-Mobile I can face time as much as I want. The norm for me is about one hour a day, wouldn't be able to do that with att.

aypues

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
AT&T is turning on FaceTime for all accounts including grandfathered unlimited. It will phase in over the next 30 to 45 days.

I can confirm this as well. My grandfathered unlimited iPad data plan now has Facetime enabled over cellular. Finally my complaints to the FCC and the white house have paid off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.