Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavellec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Hi, I was looking for some advice. Should I get the iPad Mini now or should I wait to get the iPad Mini 2? thanks

lavellec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
kind of, but i think i can wait. Does anyone have any idea of when the 2nd gen will come out?

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Do you want an iPad Mini now or a year from now? If you want one now, get one now. If you want one in a year, get the second generation next year. If you want one in two years, wait two years and get the third generation.

lavellec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Also, does anyone know if using the iPad Mini to take notes in school is any good? That's one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting one

michelob tfs

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
LOL, another priceless thread.

No you shilolud not wait. Buy the mini and buy it now RIGHT NOW! or you will regret it. You entire future depends on making the right decision here.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I would get it now I wouldn't expect another iPad mini update till late 2013

We also didn't expect an iPad 4 just seven month after iPad 3. Whatever the reason was for such a short cycle might happen to the Mini, too.

But you are right: get one now is ok, as you can use from now on (wow, that is wisdom :p)

richorlin

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Hi, I was looking for some advice. Should I get the iPad Mini now or should I wait to get the iPad Mini 2? thanks

This is got to be the dumbest question I've read all day. The iPad Mini came out two days ago and you want to know when the next version will be released. Tim Cook doesn't read these posts so your guess is as good as mine.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
This is got to be the dumbest question I've read all day. The iPad Mini came out two days ago and you want to know when the next version will be released. Tim Cook doesn't read these posts so your guess is as good as mine.

I would actually venture a guess that even Tim Cook doesn't know yet when the iPad Mini 2 will come out.

I would agree though that this is the dumbest question I've heard all day and keep in mind that I have a 4 yr old kid.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Can the iPad Mini fulfill school needs such as taking notes?

Yes.

----------

I would actually venture a guess that even Tim Cook doesn't know yet when the iPad Mini 2 will come out.

I would agree though that this is the dumbest question I've heard all day and keep in mind that I have a 4 yr old kid.

I would venture a guess that Cook knows exactly when all of their products will come out in the next few years.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Buy one now then you can sell it when the mini 2 or iPad 5 comes out. Heck I just sold my 16 GB wifi iPad 3 and got $415 for it. Not bad seeing how it was $499 back in March when I got it.

lavellec

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
Buy one now then you can sell it when the mini 2 or iPad 5 comes out. Heck I just sold my 16 GB wifi iPad 3 and got $415 for it. Not bad seeing how it was $499 back in March when I got it.

Very true.

And thank you everyone else for making me feel like an idiot. Haha but I should've known

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I would venture a guess that Cook knows exactly when all of their products will come out in the next few years.

I would doubt it. I think a big portion of it is based on when they feel they could release the right product based on when parts and software are ready. They won't release an iPad mini just b/c the calendar says 12 months go by. When they feel they can release a worthy upgrade (their minds) and maintain the right price (again their minds) we will see it. This is likely what happened with the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

While there is probably a general road-map they are constantly evaluating the schedule so I stand by my statement. Tim Cook may believe that the iPad mini 2 will come out about a year from now (just like we all believe) he doesn't currently know when it will be as market conditions and parts and software may lead to a release in 8, 12 or 16 months.

Wow, that was longer than I intended.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
...The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

I seriously doubt these assertions. The iPhone 4S was not delayed due to Siri. That's like saying the iPhone 5 was delayed due to Apple Maps. In fact, they released Siri as a beta, so by definition it really wasn't ready to be released. They delayed the release of iPhone 4S for 1 reason: to capitalize on the Holiday shopping spree, when the most money is extracted from consumer's hands. But the delay of the iPhone 4S was fairly costly for Apple. They lost a lot of ground to Android during the delay and they didn't want to repeat this mistake. So, instead of delaying the iPad 4, they released it early.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I would doubt it. I think a big portion of it is based on when they feel they could release the right product based on when parts and software are ready. They won't release an iPad mini just b/c the calendar says 12 months go by. When they feel they can release a worthy upgrade (their minds) and maintain the right price (again their minds) we will see it. This is likely what happened with the iPad 4 and the iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4S wasn't ready with Siri until Fall so they pushed back the release date. The iPhone 5 was ready earlier so it was moved up. The iPad 4 was ready to be released with A6x and Lightning connector so it was released. I doubt that when the iPad 3 was being released they knew there would only be a 7 month distribution shelf life.

While there is probably a general road-map they are constantly evaluating the schedule so I stand by my statement. Tim Cook may believe that the iPad mini 2 will come out about a year from now (just like we all believe) he doesn't currently know when it will be as market conditions and parts and software may lead to a release in 8, 12 or 16 months.

Wow, that was longer than I intended.

It has become known that Apple has been working on a schedule-driven release timeframe. Not on a "release it when it's perfect" timeframe as you're suggesting. This explains Siri, Maps, and even the iPad 3. Apparently, Cook plans on changing this culture so that the products are even more polished when they will be released. To get away from the schdule-driven release timeframe. See here: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/apples-reorganization-goes-deeper-than-just-whos-in-charge/

However, as kas23 stated above, the holiday shopping season is the time people spend the most money. So, we'll be seeing new iPods and iPads released right before the holidays for the foreseeable future.

Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.

Well, I guess we can do that. I mean, it was already moved to December 25th by Emperor Constantine to overtake the Pagan holiday that was already celebrated that day. Seemed to work. :D

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Unless the birth of Christ moves to June 25th, there will be no iPad mini 2 in 6-7 months time.

XMas in summer ? Works for me ...

Well, I guess we can do that. I mean, it was already moved to December 25th by Emperor Constantine to overtake the Pagan holiday that was already celebrated that day. Seemed to work. :D

Almighty Apple ... Lets move Xmas to accelerate my iPad mini retina :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.