Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrycel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2010
I know that the only thing user accessible on the 27" model is RAM. But what do you think the chances are of being able to have an SSD put in internally without having the warranty void?

I was really looking forward to SSD in this model, the fusion seems cool, but I'd really love to have a 128GB-256GB SSD only. I don't need 1TB of internal storage. I have been thinking about the idea of an external thunderbolt SSD, which I'm starting to accept may be my only option. I use external drives for all my files/footage, but not even being able to run the computer without having an external drive with OS attached by cable sure seems to defeat the purpose of an all-in-one.

BeejayUK

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Surrey Hills
I know that the only thing user accessible on the 27" model is RAM. But what do you think the chances are of being able to have an SSD put in internally without having the warranty void?

On my 2010 iMac 27" 16GB [Crucial] RAM 2TB HD 2.93 Intel Core i7
I had an OWC 240GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD fitted by removing the Optical Drive and used the OWC kit supplied [small extra cost by my tame Apple Engineer [no warranty voided]

I use the SSD as the startup drive. Boots up in about 14 seconds. Housed the optical drive in a suitable box and I use it once in a blue moon.

My son gets the 2010 iMac for Xmas/B'Day present and I will someday soon put an order in for a 2012 27" all bells and whistles.

Last edited:

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012

People, for once, read user end agreement. It clearly states that adding non-approved components, except those that are user-replacable (that means RAM only) voids the warranty. Always.

It's been the case for many many years now, yet people are still hoping that it's just doable. You will definitely lose it if you do it yourself. The only way to do it, without voiding the warranty is to have Apple official repair center do it for you. In that case, you must ask beforehand, as it doesn't work always, they usually say yes it's possibly, but we take all the responsibility. Which means if the thing breaks down, you must take it to the same repair center which can be difficult if you move or have bad experience with particular service.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
These days - there's not really any point voiding your warranty for an SSD upgrade - just get a thunderbolt enclosure!

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
im only buying the 27 imac if i have the ability to add my ssd in it, if not then its a deal breaker and ill be getting a mac mini with a Yamakasi Catleap :)

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
im only buying the 27 imac if i have the ability to add my ssd in it, if not then its a deal breaker and ill be getting a mac mini with a Yamakasi Catleap :)

It's highly likely that the new iMac's SSD has the same form factor as rMBP and MBA. You can order it from OWC and install by yourself.

Of course, we don't know how difficult to open iMac up until ifixit get one and tear it down.

You don't have to worry about warranty. Just remove your self-installed SSD before you send your iMac to Apple then restore it after you get it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.