Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hello all, I received an iphone 1st gen in an ebay lot that I purchased and Id like to fix it up and jailbreak it for resale.

The problem is that it doesnt have a sim card, and if you know anything about the 1st gen iphone, you know that in order to use it it has to be activated first.

Do you think I can use anyones sim card to activate it and then take it out, or does it have to always have a sim card in it?

Do you think ATT would give me one if I already have a contract with them for an iphone 5?

I tried to jailbreak it with redsn0w but I wasnt able to do it because I had to restore the phone in itunes. There is no way to restore the phone without having a sim card I think.

any ideas/suggestions?

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
You can use redsn0w to bypass the activation. No sim card needed. When you jailbreak it the phone will be on the home screen after it reboots.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
You can use redsn0w to bypass the activation. No sim card needed. When you jailbreak it the phone will be on the home screen after it reboots.

I tried that but isnt the first step to restore the iphone with the IPSW file? I wasnt able to do that because there is no restore option in itunes. All i see is a screen that tells me to insert a sim card.

Any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong with the jailbreak? Can I skip the restore process?

thanks

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Put the phone in DFU mode. Then jailbreak it with redsnow and bypass the activation.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
You'd think if this was a potential business venture you would of researched everything about the process before buying inventory to resale.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
You'd think if this was a potential business venture you would of researched everything about the process before buying inventory to resale.

really? you think if you didnt have anything to contribute youd just not post at all?

----------

Also, it will not enter DFU mode, as I said earlier, suggestions welcome

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
really? you think if you didnt have anything to contribute youd just not post at all?

----------

Also, it will not enter DFU mode, as I said earlier, suggestions welcome
Did you try while the phone is plugged in, with redsnow running guiding you through the process?

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
so i ended up getting it into DFU, but it connected to my mac, instead of my virtual PC.

now I cant get it into DFU again, ugh

----------

actually, so i just realized that i was in recovery mode instead of DFU mode.

would it make sense that someone would be able to put it in recovery but not DFU?

arent the steps very similar?

----------

and yet another update, got it into dfu, but now redsnow says "waiting for reboot" and nothing has happened after 5 minutes.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hit up youtube and search "hacktivate 1st gen iphone"

thank you.

does anyone have the correct software im supposed to use in order to jailbreak it?

I'm currently trying to use redsnow 0.9.4 and ipsw file "iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore"

is this correct or should i be trying something else?

thanks

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
if your finding it to difficult to hactivate you can get a sim of ebay for a $1 or $2 you do not need a active sim as long as it's a ATT sim. looking at ebay you are probably looking at $50

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nope.
You're using the wrong ipsw and who knows if you're even using the right redsnow version.
Don't go any further unless you research more and know what you're doing.
Start searching and reading iclarified.com tutorials.
You have a bright future buying and selling jb unlocked iPhones:D

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Nope.
You're using the wrong ipsw and who knows if you're even using the right redsnow version.
Don't go any further unless you research more and know what you're doing.
Start searching and reading iclarified.com tutorials.
You have a bright future buying and selling jb unlocked iPhones:D

okay okay haha, fair point. i wasnt planning on doing this, i got this with some ipods i bought and decided to give it a try. way more effort than its worth but now i at least want to try to finish just this one.

correct me if im wrong but is the 3.1.2 ipsw the correct one?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
okay okay haha, fair point. i wasnt planning on doing this, i got this with some ipods i bought and decided to give it a try. way more effort than its worth but now i at least want to try to finish just this one.

correct me if im wrong but is the 3.1.2 ipsw the correct one?

The ipsw you have listed above is for an iPhone 3G.
It's not even the correct version or for the correct phone.
You will need 3.1.2 or 3.1.3
This is the file you will need. iPhone1,1_3.1.3_7E18_Restore.ipsw
Also read how to enter dfu mode, what version redsnow you need for what you're trying to do etc....
Best of luck.

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
okay i was able to jailbreak it with 3.1.2 and wow! this thing is incredibly slow!

satirev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2010
it's a 5 year old device what do you expect 5 years in the tech world is close to a antique. :p most cell phones have 0 value at that point.

It will still make a good music player though!

I wonder if the jailbreak slows it down even more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.