Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I'm guessing that Apple will at least announce a new pro computer at the their next WWDC which will probably be in June 2013.

Will the entry model start at $2500 or will they be more scalable to be competitive with PC boxes.

Ommid

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
Yes. It will be exactly $2500. Don't ask how i know. Just know that I know and now you know.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I'm guessing that Apple will at least announce a new pro computer at the their next WWDC which will probably be in June 2013.

Not likely for several factors.

1. Intel will refresh the laptop CPUs to Haswell earlier in Q2 2013. The Mac laptop line up will be done for a refresh and the MBP 13" is desperate need of a faster GPU. That will be top priority for WWDC.

2. The Mac Pro upgrade is already horrifically late as it is. Waiting till WWDC to "fix" that is not a good move. The other problem is the WWDC is already a logjam of Mac updates. It occurs right before the OS X update window which is additional bad timing.

3. Throw on top that the iPhone, iPods, and iPads have all shifted to Q3-Q4 basically empties out Q1 and early Q2 of everything. It is actually a very good spot for the Mac Pro. No distraction with other stuff. About 6 months after OS X update so the minor version bump for the product should be far more stable overall.

4. The desktop GPU update cycle refreshes around late Q4 through early Q2. Apple can catch appropriate GPUs around the time they update. (presuming can get get drivers to roll out on time).

5. Not that Apple should be waiting on Ivy Bridge Xeon E5 they are roadmapped to appear in the Q3 ( after WWDC ) timeframe. If would be far better to get something out much sooner to that can upgrade to Ivy Bridge models either late Q4 2013 or early Q1 2014.

The Mac Pro doesn't need a huge Apple "dog and pony" show. Apple needs to demonstrate that they can consistantly get upgrades out the door on a reasonably predictable schedule. No hyperbole filled stage show can do that. It is about doing something, not talking.

The steady state Apple is probably heading for is

May-June Mac portables refresh
July OS X update
August-Sept Mac mini and iMac refresh
Sept iPod / iPhone
Oct. iPad , iPad mini

Jan-Feb Mac Pro ( while still has customer buying support ).
[ maybe an iPad max if that ever shows up. Apple TV and
Airports could go here too. It is "hobby" time of year. ]

If Intel moves their Xeon E5 class updates into the second half of the year. Then parked at Q1 the following year Apple can consistently pick them up and move forward ( along with a new GPU card ... presuming they stay on their Q4-Q1 update window. )

Will the entry model start at $2500 or will they be more scalable to be competitive with PC boxes.

100% unlikely since the price doesn't end in a '9'. :)

Last edited:

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
The ONLY quasi-reliable info concerning the next Mac Pro is Cook's email comment and Apple's nebulous confirmation that such an update (if there is one at all) is on tap for LATE 2013.

Everything else is pure speculation and/or wishful thinking...not even a "Mac Rumor."

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Don't. You'll just be disappointed by a couple hundreds of days.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I agree he wasn't writing to impress lawyers, but to buy time and calm people down.

Also to confuse people and preserve secrecy. It was pointless.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
That depends how you interpreted the email. Personally, I understood "Later...Next Year" Which at the time it was said could even mean as soon as January.

Doesn't match up with the Intel Xeon "Tick-Tock" roadmap. (CPU release dates appropriate for the Pro). If we get one at all, it will be later rather than sooner, but I would be ecstatic to be wrong about this. Only thing on the horizon I saw announced were v3 of the E3 chips, quad core, low power only. Not enough horsepower.

Last edited:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
Doesn't match up with the Intel Xeon "Tick-Tock" roadmap. (CPU release dates appropriate for the Pro). If we get one at all, it will be later rather than sooner, but I would be ecstatic to be wrong about this. Only thing on the horizon I saw announced were v3 of the E3 chips, quad core, low power only. Not enough horsepower.

But why skip Sandy Bridge? If you're going to bother updating the Mac Pro to LGA2011, why not allow for both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge updates? The cost to update from Sandy to Ivy is going to be near zero compared to moving to LGA2011 in general. And if you're going to do both, you might as well get in on Sandy Bridge with some time on the clock before Ivy Bridge E5s are out. Otherwise, you're not really going to make very many people happy when HP/Dell/etc are shipping workstations with Ivy Bridge E5s.

It seems to me, the only reason to skip Sandy Bridge is simply because they can't get the box ready in time for at least 2013Q2. I doubt that's the case. But apple does occasionally surprise me.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yes. It will be exactly $2500. Don't ask how i know. Just know that I know and now you know.

Man. To think I paid something very close to $2500 for an unenhanced Mac 512k model in 1985. And in 1985 DOLLARS. :eek:

We've come a long way, baby. Whoever moans about the cost of Apple gear nowadays should get in the time warp box and think it over while they boot that smilin' Mac with a 3.5" floppy disk. ;)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple's recent changes in the organization, and the changes that move will create, means that only time will tell what product intro's will be next.

I'd sure like to see Apple keep the iPhone 5 product cycle short, and release a new iPhone sooner rather than later.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004

So, Sandy Bridge Xeons in January and Ivy Xeons follow up in the summer.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
So, Sandy Bridge Xeons in January and Ivy Xeons follow up in the summer.

It's distinctly possible and not unreasonable. I think we're all forgetting that the cpu is probably going to be the least interesting part on these pros. The jump from sandy to ivy could potentially be a mere bump and the real leap forward could be everything else between now and the sandy.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Man. To think I paid something very close to $2500 for an unenhanced Mac 512k model in 1985. And in 1985 DOLLARS. :eek:

We've come a long way, baby. Whoever moans about the cost of Apple gear nowadays should get in the time warp box and think it over while they boot that smilin' Mac with a 3.5" floppy disk. ;)

I was smart and got the Mac 512 Enhanced for $1475 just before the Mac Plus came out. Then I upgraded it with a third part card to basically a Mac Plus for another $600 and eventually sold it and bought a real Mac Plus for $2500 and a Lacie 60 Mbyte HD for $1000.

I paid $800 for a mint 79 Chrysler Cordoba with low miles back then to put things in perspective.

Phrygian

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011

... While adorable in nature, this post is illogical and doesn't take into account Moore's law, supply and demand or the other basics of economics. new technology cost more to produce and was more expensive, despite being significantly slower. A pc work station will cost significantly less than an equivalent mac pro. When i got my MP in 2008, the price was far more competitive with equivalent pc workstations. PC workstation builds and of course individual parts have steadily declined in price, while the MP stays the same.

Apple charges too much for most of its products. :rolleyes:

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011
... While adorable in nature, this post is illogical and doesn't take into account Moore's law, supply and demand or the other basics of economics......

Apple charges too much for most of its products. :rolleyes:

The basics of economics say Apple is doing just fine in pricing their products. If they were not, they wouldn't be one of the most profitable companies on Earth. I hope you were rolling those eyes while looking in a mirror....

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
The basics of economics say Apple is doing just fine in pricing their products. If they were not, they wouldn't be one of the most profitable companies on Earth. I hope you were rolling those eyes while looking in a mirror....

Actually, in some segments, like the Mac Pro, they are a little high. You can buy a beast of an HP workstation for what a middle of the pack Pro goes for.

AAPL has dropped 110 bucks/sh. in the past 30 days, for no one particular valid reason. I've lost over ten grand, so yeah, I'm questioning a lot of their recent decisions too. The last earnings call was not encouraging, nor was the recent 10K. Especially outside the USA, margins will have to change (lower). Competition is heating up too with recent product releases. Huge management shakeups to boot at the top level.

All is not well in Cupertino. Whether it is the loss of Steve's leadership/vision or not, the Apple is getting a little soft in some spots and rotten in two places: the Mac Pro, and Apple's treatment/software development for professional users.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
All is not well in Cupertino. Whether it is the loss of Steve's leadership/vision or not, the Apple is getting a little soft in some spots and rotten in two places: the Mac Pro, and Apple's treatment/software development for professional users.

They have managed to alienate many in this demographic with their outright neglect of the Mac Pro, their brazen attempt to call its recent speedbump an "update", the metamorphosis of Final Cut Pro into iMovie Pro, the lack of Logic X (hopefully its absence means that they were going to turn it into some GarageBand-pro type thing, read the writing on the wall with all the Final Cut backlash and decided to do a PROPER Logic update), and so on.

One can only hope that, during this recent management shakeup someone was assigned to oversee the development of a REAL Mac Pro update.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Actually, in some segments, like the Mac Pro, they are a little high. You can buy a beast of an HP workstation for what a middle of the pack Pro goes for.

They are high now, yes. They were actually on par with HP when they released in 2010 when the components were new. Hex was same price and 12-cores were cheaper than HP. Apple just never reduces the price. + You need to factor in at least 300.00 more for Mac Pro case material. The plastic crap case Z workstations give you should induce a voucher or something.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
It would probably make most sense for Apple to announce new Mac Pro's around the time of NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) conference, no? That's where many of the pros will be conglomerating. Might be a great chance for Apple to wow them with a fresh version of Final Cut and new Mac Pro hardware.

xav8tor

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
They are high now, yes. They were actually on par with HP when they released in 2010 when the components were new. Hex was same price and 12-cores were cheaper than HP. Apple just never reduces the price. + You need to factor in at least 300.00 more for Mac Pro case material. The plastic crap case Z workstations give you should induce a voucher or something.

The front may be plastic, but the new X20 series has a lot of aluminum. I think the sides are even brushed. Check out the inside 820 layout...almost Mac Pro like in design. Speaking of design, the cases are designed by BMW...yeah THAT BMW. As for the price, HP has a perpetual 20% discount off retail on BTO's and ready to ships can be had for up to 30% off retail online. I love my Mac Pro, but if Apple doesn't come through next year, HP here I come. Their warranty and telephone support is every bit as good too, as long as they don't sell off their computer division as has been mentioned in the past.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Otherwise, you're not really going to make very many people happy when

Seems to me that Apple is specializing in just that with regard to the MP already. Can't get much worse than it is already.

----------

T
One can only hope that, during this recent management shakeup someone was assigned to oversee the development of a REAL Mac Pro update.

more like " One can only dream" Sorry, It's hard not to be cynical at this point.

----------

T

more like " One can only fantasize" Sorry, It's hard not to be cynical at this point.

----------

It would probably make most sense for Apple to announce new Mac Pro's around the time of NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) conference, no? .

Someone posts this every single year.

wallysb01

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2011

Well, the Mac Pro is a bit of a unique situation for Apple right now. I wouldn't say this speaks to apple in general. Otherwise, I think derbothaus covered this well.

AAPL has dropped 110 bucks/sh. in the past 30 days, for no one particular valid reason. I've lost over ten grand, so yeah, I'm questioning a lot of their recent decisions too. The last earnings call was not encouraging, nor was the recent 10K. Especially outside the USA, margins will have to change (lower). Competition is heating up too with recent product releases. Huge management shakeups to boot at the top level.

OK, but that's after it climbed by 75% over the past year and they are still up about 50% from a year ago. They may not have hit their earnings targets, but don't confuse that with not being an extremely profitable company. And remember that money you have in Aapl is only real once you sell it. Don't get caught up in how much you've lost or gained until that point.

I will agree that Apple has some challenges in front of it. Microsoft/Google/Samsung are all trying to squeeze them from different angles. Apple has enjoyed being first to the tablet market, and a early comer to the smart phone market, with some very cool products. But things change and other companies are making some really cool stuff now too. Only time will tell if Apple can keep pace as these markets mature, or if Apple can come up with other hot new toy to jump ahead again.

----------

Seems to me that Apple is specializing in just that with regard to the MP already. Can't get much worse than it is already.

I too am pretty pessimistic about a new pro, but I still can't see them waiting until say, June/July to ship a Sandy Bridge Mac Pro when Ivy Bridge is on the door step. I see basically three options:

1) New Sandy Bridge Mac Pro by about March.
2) Apple skips Sandy and releases a Ivy Bridge Mac Pro in Oct/Nov-ish.
3) No new Mac Pro.

In my eyes, option 2 is the least likely, and option 1 and 3 are running neck and neck.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Well, the Mac Pro is a bit of a unique situation for Apple right now. I wouldn't say this speaks to apple in general. Otherwise, I think derbothaus covered this well.

OK, but that's after it climbed by 75% over the past year and they are still up about 50% from a year ago. They may not have hit their earnings targets, but don't confuse that with not being an extremely profitable company. And remember that money you have in Aapl is only real once you sell it. Don't get caught up in how much you've lost or gained until that point.

I will agree that Apple has some challenges in front of it. Microsoft/Google/Samsung are all trying to squeeze them from different angles. Apple has enjoyed being first to the tablet market, and a early comer to the smart phone market, with some very cool products. But things change and other companies are making some really cool stuff now too. Only time will tell if Apple can keep pace as these markets mature, or if Apple can come up with other hot new toy to jump ahead again.

----------

I too am pretty pessimistic about a new pro, but I still can't see them waiting until say, June/July to ship a Sandy Bridge Mac Pro when Ivy Bridge is on the door step. I see basically three options:

1) New Sandy Bridge Mac Pro by about March.
2) Apple skips Sandy and releases a Ivy Bridge Mac Pro in Oct/Nov-ish.
3) No new Mac Pro.

In my eyes, option 2 is the least likely, and option 1 and 3 are running neck and neck.

Only Opt 1 does me any good and even that seems like an eternity. I'm considering a top line imac with TB drives to tide me over till then, if then ever comes. The trouble with that is that the TB drives enclosures are not available as daisy chain style enclosures only until 1st quarter and then very expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.