Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
Anyone have suggestions for kids games for an iMac G5 with OS X 10.5.8 on it? Originally, I was thinking I would put 10.4.11 so I could run classic apps, but my daughter likes PBS and Nick Jr website games, and those might struggle in Tiger. So I'm looking for free/cheap OS X/PPC games. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
AlphaBaby. It's for toddlers, but if you have another younger child it may be for you.

TuxPaint. Supertuxkart.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Sadly, you're going to find that a lot of the games suitable for your daughter are either all Mac Classic ones, or still really, really expensive unless you buy them in "fair" condition. Most of these companies do not discount their games even after 10 years :rolleyes:. Even finding them on eBay might be an issue.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Pac The Man X.

Best Pacman game ever. EVER.

http://www.mcsebi.com/pmx.php

Make sure you download version 1.1.3 which is PPC compatible. Runs on Panther upwards.

V9jPa.jpg

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
You didn't specify the ages, but my 6 & 12 year olds play:

Zoo Tycoon 2
Sim City 4
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
also, did you search macintoshgarden.org for games?

I know the games that came with the OS 9 install disks (some are now free on the developers side, search pangea software), like Nanosaur (nanosaur2 for OS X 10.4.11), Bugdom, Chromag Ralley, were really fun when I was a child. You could buy an iMac G3 for 10USD as a OS9 gaming machine.
Also there is Otis (its like these browser games, were you have to pick out diamonds or stones to get other stones to line up in matching colours, to make them disappear) or Quinn (Tetris), they are for 10.4, but maybe there is a 10.5 version, too.

btw. what age?

Last edited:

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Ambrosia Software had a ton of game titles I really enjoyed back in the day. One of my favorites was a game called 'Barrack' which was simple, but addictive. Sadly many of these titles didn't survive the transition to OSX and were completely removed from the ecosystem by the time the switch to Intel processors was made. I still toy around with the idea of buying an older PPC that runs OS9 just so I can play some of these games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.