Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Serious question. Every time I exchange my iPhone, which has only been 3 times in one visit, I feel like I open up the possibility of getting a device with dead pixels, trapped dust, factory scratches, etc.

Plus, I'm kind of just getting used to the yellow-tinted LG LCD, as annoying as it is though.

When I was last at the Apple store, I swapped my phone out three times and all three new phones had the same issue. Eventually the guy suggested that I just check back in a few weeks and hopefully then the store would have a different shipment of iPhones in.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
If you are unable to use and enjoy your device in its current state, by all means, exchange it for one, which you will satisfied with. Other than that, enjoy your phone.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
So Samsung makes the bluer screens and LG makes the yellow? In that case my original 4S had an LG screen and my newer 4S (warranty swap) has a Samsung screen. Anyways, I can't really tell you much other than I swapped my phone 11 months after my original and got a blue screen. So, maybe wait a few months?

There really is no telling. I happened to get lucky when I got my new 4S. The screen is ridiculously bluer.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
When I was last at the Apple store, I swapped my phone out three times and all three new phones had the same issue. Eventually the guy suggested that I just check back in a few weeks and hopefully then the store would have a different shipment of iPhones in.

Perhaps it's not an issue, but perhaps you. Pretty much what the Apple rep was saying in a polite way.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Perhaps it's not an issue, but perhaps you. Pretty much what the Apple rep was saying in a polite way.

No, it's not me. It's actually the screen and this is actually what every Apple genius confirmed who I spoke to. They said that Apple uses different LCD manufacturers to meet worldwide demand and when we compared my phone to the phones in the store you could see a clear difference.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
How do you know who manufactured your screen?

For one you can tell by the colors. If you're screen has a subtle but noticeable and uniform yellow tint then it is probably LG. There is also a way to check by looking in the settings.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
How utterly bizarre!
Imagine trying that with any other product! You'd be laughed out the store!

Tell you what, don't buy an iPhone, get your money back and buy something else!

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2012
Anyone else dumbfounded at how ridiculous this guy sounds?

I paid $700 for my phone. I want a screen that displays accurate whites and not something that is washed in yellow. That is all.

----------

How utterly bizarre!
Imagine trying that with any other product! You'd be laughed out the store!

Tell you what, don't buy an iPhone, get your money back and buy something else!

The guys at the Apple store were totally cool about it and admitted that some of the iPhones were like that. They said that it was a perfectly acceptable reason to exchange the phone and that some people had done so.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Samsung doesn't make screens for the iPhone. They do for the retina iPad and MBP's though.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
I paid $700 for my phone. I want a screen that displays accurate whites and not something that is washed in yellow. That is all.

----------

The guys at the Apple store were totally cool about it and admitted that some of the iPhones were like that. They said that it was a perfectly acceptable reason to exchange the phone and that some people had done so.

And how much did you spend for your vehicle that doesn't sound or drive exactly like the others.. Or the tv you watch that doesn't look the same as all the others, etc..

Does it really matter?

You want a Samsung screen, buy a Samsung phone..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.