Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
So like many here, I had the 3rd generation iPad and I have to be honest, I was very satisfied and content with it. I didn't really have any heat or screen issues and it worked great.

However after seeing peoples reviews here, I decided to bite the bullet and so I went to Best Buy and bought the new one. (32GB black)

Holy crap the new A6X processor is super fast! Like the iPhone 5 that I also have, everything is so fluid and quick. Apps load almost instantly and theres no "lag".

The Facetime HD camera is awesome! Now all my Apple devices have a Facetime HD cam so i'm glad I upgraded.

However one of the biggest upgrades I noticed was something that wasn't even advertised. The speakers! Holy **** they sound just like my macbooks! They are loud and pump out clear full sound! Very impressed!!

I haven't really noticed too much of a difference in wifi performance but then again, I never had any problems. It runs fast just like it should.

Overall, I highly recommend you guys upgrade. I sold my 64 LTE on Craigslist and made enough to buy the 32GB wifi only. (I never even used the cellular and i figure with icloud now, 32 is enough)

You won't regret this guys and thanks to everyone who has already posted reviews!

8154747506_f2c27e96b8_z.jpg

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model

chdwil

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2009
Well the tests have shown the 4 to only be marginally faster. Not worth it to me.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I love my 4 its to so much faster on Wi-Fi then my 3 was and its just like my iPhone 5. I'm very happy I sold my iPad 3 on craigslist to purchase the ipad

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
How much has everyone been getting for their 3? I have a Verizon 32gb LTE. I don't ever use the LTE though, so a 32gb ipad would be fine with me. Any tips?

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
I'm also glad I was able to sell my 3 and went for the 4. Truly flawless, great screen, no heat, super fluid, better wifi reception and the speaker...man!

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that.

This is one of the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You expect a company (publicly traded company) to exchange your old model for a new one outside of their "normal" return policy. It's been 7 months since the iPad 3 was released.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
This is one of the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You expect a company (publicly traded company) to exchange your old model for a new one outside of their "normal" return policy. It's been 7 months since the iPad 3 was released.

True, but a lot of people feel that apple pulled a fast one on them because of the unusually short life of the 3. We all know apple did this to avoid the retina iPad being cannibalized by the mini and also maybe to reset the launch date to October for all their products.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model

I still dont get why people that upgrade EVERY year are complaining.

It seems they buy every year more as a hobby than actually to use it. Its more of a hobby than a real investment...and then there's complaining.

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
Sold my galaxy tab 10.1 about two weeks before the Keynote. So glad I did. This is my first iPad. I can't put it down. The screen is beautiful and I have a retina 15mbp. So having two retina devices is pretty awesome!

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Like few tests show 4th gen is just a second faster. Browsing is almost the same.
Its just in the head. Not worth the upgrade.
There could be a potential improvement in gaming experiance, but since I dont game at all wont even notice.

Personaly, think that ipad users who jumped from 3rd to 4th gen will be dissapointed when lighter ipad (like mini) comes out.
Then in points of size and weight with faster cpu would be a great update for us on 3rd gen.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Well the tests have shown the 4 to only be marginally faster. Not worth it to me.

Serious?

The tests show the iPad 3 to be marginally faster or the same as iPad 2.

The iPad 4 is in some tests 2 x faster than iPad 3.

In terms of speed. This is the pecking order.

iPad 4, iPhone 5, iPad 3 (which is barely faster than iPad 2).

Like others stated. This is like an "S" upgrade like iPhone 3G to iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4/4S.

Screen and body are the exact same. But processor is much faster.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Like few tests show 4th gen is just a second faster. Browsing is almost the same.
Its just in the head. Not worth the upgrade.
There could be a potential improvement in gaming experiance, but since I dont game at all wont even notice.

Personaly, think that ipad users who jumped from 3rd to 4th gen will be dissapointed when lighter ipad (like mini) comes out.
Then in points of size and weight with faster cpu would be a great update for us on 3rd gen.

You must be an iPad 3 owner. Feel a lot of iPad 3 owners post same or similar sentiments about iPad 4 owners who will be screwing themselves cause iPad 5 is so much better.

(I have owned all four iPads). Currently own. iPad 3 64GB LTE and just picked up iPad 4 64GB wifi.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

Apple doesn't owe anyone anything.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
You must be an iPad 3 owner. Feel a lot of iPad 3 owners post same or similar sentiments about iPad 4 owners who will be screwing themselves cause iPad 5 is so much better.

(I have owned all four iPads). Currently own. iPad 3 64GB LTE and just picked up iPad 4 64GB wifi.

iPad 5? Who knows when that will come but we do know that in the long run we're all dead. I live for today!
Enjoy the 4, you won't be sorry.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro

I am. Since dont have the apple store in my country did watch a bunch of reviews and fresh youtube comparisons. And they all say the upgrade is not worth it. Really, second or two is not that important to me.
Other factor is money. Even with selling 3rd gen I would have to pay a significant amount which is not on option in my budget for just a smaller update.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I am. Since dont have the apple store in my country did watch a bunch of reviews and fresh youtube comparisons. And they all say the upgrade is not worth it. Really, second or two is not that important to me.
Other factor is money. Even with selling 3rd gen I would have to pay a significant amount which is not on option in my budget for just a smaller update.

I understand.

I was in a little different situation. I had iPad 2 64gb wifi and iPad 3 64gb LTE. I sold my iPad 2 to buy the iPad 4.

So I kept the iPad 3 and added an iPad 4 while selling off the iPad 2.

Gotta have 2 iPads in my home with a 2 year old always using the iPad.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
What happens when the iPad 5 with a thinner and lighter design and slightly better specs comes out in March? :D

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009
What happens when the iPad 5 with a thinner and lighter design and slightly better specs comes out in March? :D

Apple did the 4 now to move the release before the holidays. No way they'd release in March. It was a smart move. Yes it sucks for many but as a business it was the best move..

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006

It will be bad business for apple because they will condition buyers to shorter cycles which means that fewer ppl will buy the 5 in anticipation of the 6. It's more like apple took the opportunity of October to harmonize product releases. I may be wrong of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.