Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laxexquis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
I created a bootable flash drive with Mountain Lion on it. My computer has Leopard 10.5.8 installed, and after reading online I thought I could still boot form a Mountain Lion USB drive and erase the hard disk and do a clean install. I tried booting it on another 10.5.8 computer and it worked, just not on mine. I have a Core 2 duo processor and 2 gb of ram, when I click on the USB flash drive from the boot screen it just gives me a circle with a slash through it on a gray screen.

Any idea what causes this?

laxexquis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

I have the black MacBook and just realized it is not included in this specification. Damn. I read it isnt because of the video card.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to 10.7, is Lion a good OS? It seems like it may not have been considering it was replaced so quickly.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

I have the black MacBook and just realized it is not included in this specification. Damn. I read it isnt because of the video card.

Looks like I'll be upgrading to 10.7, is Lion a good OS? It seems like it may not have been considering it was replaced so quickly.

Lion worked well for me, and there have been updates so it is fairly mature. You can still get it by calling Apple at 1800MYAPPLE and they will email you a code to DL it from the App Store. You will need Snow Leopard though to use the App Store. You can also still get that from Apple at the same number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.