Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello,

I update my iPad 3 to 6.0.1 and now it runs kind of slow... Is Apple doing this so we sell the 3 and get the 4?... I hope not. I got this iPad 3 two months ago and it would be a shame that Apple would be doing that.

Anyone out there having the same experience with the iPad 3 running 6.0.1?

RCranium666

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for letting me know. I haven't updated yet. I had 5.1 jailbroken and it was slowing down. 6 made it fast again. I'm still pissed that Apple introduced a faster model the same year.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I hope not. I got this iPad 3 two months ago and it would be a shame that Apple would be doing that.

Anyone out there having the same experience with the iPad 3 running 6.0.1?

Jeez, everything's a conspiracy. I've updated my iPad 3, no slowness.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Do you know how much backlash and reputation, and most importantly sales Apple would lose if someone found out that they were doing this? Apple is in a stage where they can do nothing wrong. It is silly of you to think they would purposely slow down devices in an update.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Actually I've noticed a bit more jitteriness / stuttering where there wasnt before on the 3 with 6.0.1. I thought at first it was because I was running low on space but after freeing some I've seen no improvement.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Do you know how much backlash and reputation, and most importantly sales Apple would lose if someone found out that they were doing this? Apple is in a stage where they can do nothing wrong. It is silly of you to think they would purposely slow down devices in an update.

Maybe is silly of me to think like that but it's kind of wierd that its getting slow after the upgrade and the new ipad 4.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

This, this, a thousand times this.

Come on folks, things are starting to get ridiculous around here. Apple is secretly putting an A4 in the iPad Mini and lied during the presentations! (No, there was an inaccurate part number during the presentation). Apple are deliberately holding back a retina display that they could have put in the mini! (No, they picked this design so can't fit a big enough battery & a few more major engineering issues, not to mention costs). Apple is secretly slowing down 3rd gen iPad's to encourage upgrades! (No, if there IS a slowdown, and this is hardly a widespread issue right now, it's either a local problem or maybe a bug in 6.0.1).

We are not living in a spy novel, the most logical explanation is usually the more likely one and Apple aren't going to do anything underhanded that they can get sued to hell for!:rolleyes: Quite aside from the sheer stupidity of such a move why on earth would they need to do so? The iPad is still selling ridiculously well, nothing else is coming near it, so why risk destroying your entire corporate reputation for no actual gain?

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I had same issue on 3 and on my new 4 . It stutters. Doesn't seem a widespread issue. The 3 worked great on 5.1 hoping its fixed on 6.1

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I updated & the only thing I noticed is that the WiFi issues I was having at certain places have vanished :)

gcnet22

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
I def have noticed a slight slow down on certain things after the update. It's more noticeable in the App Store

Arcade

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Bronx, NY
I didn't want to update my ipad 3 but I didn't anyways. Battery life was good before I upgraded to 6.0.1 now I have an ever better battery life after upgrading. No slowness over here at all.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Christ sake ... 6.0.1 is no slower than 6.0 or 5.1.1!

Why sound like this you may be lucky. I'm not! Mine is slower that I can tell you now jerks a lot. Just because it isn't happening to you doesn't mean it isn't happening

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Kept mine at 6.0 for this very reason, let others test out the bugs first

nfilg

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
My Ipad 3 really improved after this iOS update, after 6 it went a bit laggy. I don't play many HD games but I see an improvement on other apps Podcasts, Safari, wi-fi still 43Mbps (my internet connection is 50Mbps) I could only thank apple for this upgrade.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
My iPad 3 is still on 5.1 that it shipped with. I don't think it's far fetched to believe that updates might slow it down. My iPad 1 got slower and slower with each update, which is why I never bothered to update my iPad 3. I don't think Apple does it on purpose so to speak, it's just the nature of the beast, adding new features and such.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
You actually ended up giving reasons why Apple WOULD do something like that. Look back at Apple's history, particularly with iOS devices, and you'll be hard pressed to find any problem or issue that caused Apple to lose sales. Even during "antennagate" iPhone sales continued to grow. Or were you one of those who agreed with Apple that people were simply holding their iPhone incorrectly. ;)

You are correct, Apple can do nothing wrong (in the eyes of many of its customers). Every issue and defect identified is greeted with claims that people are unreasonably picky.

Every corporation eventually loses its way. You may not think it could happen to Apple, but it will. Just as it happened to IBM, Microsoft, and arguably to Google.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I def have noticed a slight slow down on certain things after the update. It's more noticeable in the App Store

Me too... It takes 11 seconds to open with everything upload

Same problem; App Store is much slower. I was unhappy with the App Store speed when I upgraded from 5.1 to 6.0. Now I wish I didn't apply the 6.0.1 upgrade.

Uzantonomomia

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
I don't subscribe to the conspiracy theory, but my iPad 3 has become unusably slow and jerky since updating to 6.0.1. Neither power-cycling nor hard-resetting improves the situation. Apps take many seconds to launch. Flicking between screens of apps takes 2-3 seconds per screen. Buttons don't respond to taps until anywhere from 1 to 15 seconds later.

I did an over-the-air incremental update that was just ~50MB. Maybe the incremental was corrupted. My next step is, unfortunately, to do a full restore. What a waste of time. I'm a sucker to update quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.