Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshking440

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
First, thanks for the help.

I have a couple wireless issues that I just cant seem to figure out.

First I would like to get my airport extreme to join my existing wireless network (comcast wireless router) and I would like to have the ethernet ports on the airport extreme active so I can hard wire a few items that dont have wireless capability. What do I have to do/buy to accomplish this.

Secondly and completely separate, my airport express that I use for streaming music via airplay to my home stereo will not keep up if it is set up to join an existing network. What I mean is that its laggy, or it will play the first 5 seconds of a song then it will stop as if it were buffering or something but it really never comes back. If I set it up to create its own network then it does a fanstastic job, but then im stuck switching networks on my devices when I enter this part of the house....

What am I doin wrong guys

Thanks again:D

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
First I would like to get my airport extreme to join my existing wireless network (comcast wireless router) and I would like to have the ethernet ports on the airport extreme active so I can hard wire a few items that dont have wireless capability. What do I have to do/buy to accomplish this.

Just connect the ethernet wire from the Comcast device to the Airport Extreme's WAN port. Then you will need to put either the Comcast router or the Airport Extreme in "bridge mode". It would be preferable to put the Comcast device in bridge mode if you can Google search the model number nd figure it out. Otherwise, put the Airport Extreme in bridge mode.

You can put the AE in bridge mode from this screen in Airport Utility.

YnC2u.png

joshking440

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
if they could be connected via the ethernet cable I would have done that.

I want the airport extreme to join the existing wireless network and allow for the ethernet ports to be hot so I can hard wire some items.

These 2 devices do not sit next to one another, hence the reason for wirelessly connecting them

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

I want the airport extreme to join the existing wireless network and allow for the ethernet ports to be hot so I can hard wire some items.

These 2 devices do not sit next to one another, hence the reason for wirelessly connecting them

I have a set up like this with my Time Capsule and AE (TC is connected to the Comcast modem and the AE is in my bedroom fed wirelessly from the TC). On the TC I have to check "allow this network to be extended" for the AE to work. So maybe there is a setting like this in the Comcast router you need to check.
I would Google on how to extend a network with the modem/router you have from Comcast to get this info.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Ah... I was not clear from your post that was what you were trying to do. You will need to do as Jimbo said. However, extending between brands always seems spotty in my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.