Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
I was never angry, still a great iPad. Guess the iPad 4 owners may possibly be peeved when Apple release the thinner, better screen technology "iPad 5" next year:D

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I wouldn't say that I'm angry as technology moves at the speed of light. But releasing a product 7 months from the last release is a little excessive imo and kind of proves that the iPad 3 was half baked. Incremental updates ftw

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Yes, a bit .. To be honest.

But I'm also angry about myself to care about such a total waste of issue.
The adult in me say: my iPad 3 still works as perfect as before the announcement. Don't worry.
The child in me say: ahhh, not top line anymore. Outdated old piece of technology. You can't show to anyone. What a shame. Want.new.one.

I think this time the adult win ( until next cycle).

Yep, yep, yep. BUT...as long as you don't show them the bottom, you can say it's an iP4, and no one would know the difference! And I'm right there with you. My iP3 still has applecare plus, my lovable klutz of a wife will get it when and if I decide to upgrade.

I'm just happy they didn't release some significant new feature on the 4 that would make it a must have for me!:)

goldbear86

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Not bothered at all. I love my iPad 3. Does everything I need it to and not I don't think the 4 is a big enough upgrade for me.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Very happy I bought when I did. Retina screen without the stupid Thunderbolt BS. Don't really care about the CPU, the A5 is probably 5x as powerful as I need. Retina is a huge feature for me, it really is incredible.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Apple didn't want the mini to foreshadow its 9.7" counterpart. If they wouldn't have released the 4th gen., then consumers would've held out until March. All the crazy Apple fans would upgrade to it and all the rational ones would realize a spec bump wasn't enough to get them to upgrade.

I imagine the 4th generation model will fall in the iPad 2's place and even the lower end iDevices will all have the lightening connector.

Call me crazy, but Apple makes a big deal out of iPad events, and a brief overview of a huge money maker should be proof that a 5th generation device is around the corner.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
I just watched a video review of the iPad 3 compared to iPad 4. The iPad 4 is just BARELY faster than the iPad 3. I'd be more pissed to buy an iPad 4 and then see it just barely outperform the iPad 3. It may kill in benchmarks, but that is all. It's even with the iPad 3 everywhere else. The iPad 4 even lagged behind the iPad 3 in wifi tests as well as web browsing.

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
What's ridiculous and pretty much overkill are the people that have purchased an ipad 3 in the past few months yet still feel inclined to buy the 4 and or mini as well,but to each their own..there's always gonna be a new device around the corner god damn u technology we always have to have the latest and greatest

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
The ipad4 may be the laziest update in apple's history. All it really means is that I have to find new connectors for that dumb lightning thing that I don't want.

And why would I be angry at Apple for continuing to make improvements? Makes no sense.

I never once felt that my iPad 3 was slow and I am willing to bet there will be ZERO ipad4 only apps for a very long time to come.

McPaul

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Vancouver
1. It happens
2. Get over it
3. Move on.

No one likes an entitled greedy child.

It's fine to be envious, but don't whine and complain and otherwise influence non-3 owners away from buying the 4.

politicsoffear

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
I'm not upset at all. I got the iPad 3 in July and it is great. By the time any new apps come out to take advantage of the processor iPad 5 will probably be out. As long as my iPad 3 runs iOs 7 next year and iOS 8 in 2014 I will be very happy.

I was kind of surprised that iPad 4 did come out. Everything I heard was that a "refresh" of iPad 3 might come out and it was mostly just going to switch to the Lightning connector. For me, it's no big deal, I thought my next iPad would be iPad 5 in 2014 but now I guess it will be iPad 6 (or 7!) in 2014.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Not angry anymore, but I'm also not upgrading to the 4. I've bought every generation of iPhone and iPad since the first one. This will be the only one I don't buy. I think 6 months is too soon for an upgrade.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Well a few weeks have passed since the announcement and I still can't believe Apple released two generations of Ipad in the space of 7 months! :eek:

And I still can't justify the upgrade..if only it was a half decent update it's something Ipad 3 owners could have got down the line but it's rubbish. :mad:

When they dropped the number from the iPad
We should know that it's happening. :(

But anyway I would've bought the iPad 3 since I needed its retina display to read all my eBooks for the exam in May/June.

----------

Actually the iPhone 5 was also refreshed in less than a year. I was one of the early adopters of the iPhone 4S and my carrier only gave me the phone in mid November 2011. And this year I got the 5 on 23 Sept.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
This.

I've owned iPad 1, 2, and 3 - I bought #3 knowing that I wouldn't be upgrading for at least 2 yrs. Now that I'm not in school any more, I only use my iPad as a toy/entertainment, my Air does everything else.

I won't be interested again until iPad 6-7 :cool:

I'm still rocking the iPad 1. I did a complete factory reset it feels like brand new. I'm tempted by the iPad 4 but I find it hard to justify it because like you it's basically a toy for me. I use it to surf the net and have clients sign contracts with. So unless this breaks I will be waiting a while considering my MacBook pro does what my iPad doesn't.

ks-man

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
While not surprising (from a profits point of view) the most disappointing part about the release of the iPad 4 is that they discontinued the iPad 3 and continue selling the iPad 2 for $399. Clearly the iPad 2 costs less than the iPad 3 so Apple has higher margins producing and selling the 2 vs. the 3. The iPad 3 is a very significant upgrade over the 2 (because of the screen) that it would be nice for that to be the discounted option.

Obviously Apple didn't take this route b/c of the higher margins on the iPad 2 as well as further differentiating the high end model (iPad 4) vs. the discounted one.

Don't get me wrong, the iPad 2 is still a great product but assuming we go back to a 12 month refresh cycle, a $100 discount for a product that could (by the end of this cycle) be 31 months seems pushing it even for Apple.

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Angry at what? My iPad3 works flawlessly and the Retina screen is beautiful. I never had a problem with the speed of it so I find absolutely zero desire for the 4. Maybe next fall if Apple releases a thinner, lighter iPad5 I will consider upgrading. Until then I am perfectly content with my iPad3.

On another note, I received my iPad mini via UPS and will be returning it. I love how thin and light it is. I also love the black slate look similar to iPhone 5, (hope the next iPad5 receives the black slate design) but I just couldn't get past the non retina screen. Call me spoiled but I guess I'm to used to the iPad3 and iPhone4/5. I like to hold the iPad in portrait and with the mini the text to me is to small and pixelated to read comfortably. I understand that this is my opinion and I realize how the mini is perfect for some people as its very lightweight, small and mobile. But for me, it actually made me appreciate and fall in love again with my big, beautiful iPad3. :D

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
This.

I've owned iPad 1, 2, and 3 - I bought #3 knowing that I wouldn't be upgrading for at least 2 yrs. Now that I'm not in school any more, I only use my iPad as a toy/entertainment, my Air does everything else.

I won't be interested again until iPad 6-7 :cool:

Agree with this. I have similar experience, and now using Air so much. Back to normal life again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.