Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 2, 2008
After seeing some of the commercials, and reading reviews, I have no plans to do so.

Commercials are pushing that they have a keyboard, so you can prop it up on a table and have a keyboard. If THAT is important enough for you, then why not buy an Air? Slim, better keyboard, and more apps than the RT version. As for portability, at least the iPad offers an LTE version, without having to either hotspot through your phone or buying a hotspot with the Surface.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not buying one myself, but it's nice to see MS put some effort and time behind the design and using something other than plastic for the body (seems like an extremely strong magnesium build).

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Not this one, but the surface 2 maybe? It really looks like a fantastic product

After seeing some of the commercials, and reading reviews, I have no plans to do so.

Commercials are pushing that they have a keyboard, so you can prop it up on a table and have a keyboard. If THAT is important enough for you, then why not buy an Air? Slim, better keyboard, and more apps than the RT version. As for portability, at least the iPad offers an LTE version, without having to either hotspot through your phone or buying a hotspot with the Surface.

The air is not a tablet
iPad doesn't have office (yet)

Is it really that hard to see the strength in windows rt? It delivers where the ipad does not, it's a successful mix on notebook and tablet

Give credit where credit is due

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Bought one just because it seemed like the thing to do, but I haven't used it much. Already have an iPad 3, and an iPad 4 on order, and find that the Surface screen pales in comparison to a Retina. The touch keyboard is worthless, doesn't work half the time. Maybe the type keyboard is better. I do like the built in stand, and I also like the user interface (the "tiles" are better than the iOS UI). I imagine that the app selection will increase over time.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
No. I just switched from Windows to OSX for my laptop use, partly because I don't want to have anything to do with Windows 8. So I'm obviously not going back to it for a tablet.

Also, for the same reason I never got the iPad -too big for my use, I don't want a 10" tablet.

But most of all, after reading the reviews, it boils down to the fact that the surface is a great tablet (kudos to MS for that, especially their first try), but the OS and ecosystem are not nearly as ready. Windows RT, like the full 8 version, really seems half-baked and in dire need of another few months of dev. Added to that the fact that the Windows product cycle is probably too long for a tablet OS.

So a really good high-end tablet, with a as-usual unfinished OS that I really really don't like and a UI that I really really really don't like at all.

Now, I'd like to see what the Surface pro brings for professional use.

Hence, iPad mini.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Is it really that hard to see the strength in windows rt? It delivers where the ipad does not, it's a successful mix on notebook and tablet

Give credit where credit is due

I disagree.

Even things like the Nexus are better at being a tablet than the Surface.

The Surface is basically a notebook with the ability to pretend to be a tablet. The whole draw of the damn thing is the attachable keyboard.

There's no credit to give - it's just Microsoft sticking to a safety net by essentially making a notebook with a touchscreen, as they knew a straight tablet would be slaughtered in sales by the iPad and Android tablets.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Bought one just because it seemed like the thing to do, but I haven't used it much. Already have an iPad 3, and an iPad 4 on order, and find that the Surface screen pales in comparison to a Retina. The touch keyboard is worthless, doesn't work half the time. Maybe the type keyboard is better. I do like the built in stand, and I also like the user interface (the "tiles" are better than the iOS UI). I imagine that the app selection will increase over time.

The type keyboard is amazing and doesn't add much bulk. I hope they do put out a Surface 2. I'm not ready to jump in with the tegra 3 in the Surface 1. I definitely will keep an eye on the Surface Pro too.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
There's no credit to give - it's just Microsoft sticking to a safety net by essentially making a notebook with a touchscreen, as they knew a straight tablet would be slaughtered in sales by the iPad and Android tablets.

No, that's Microsoft being smart and addressing a market that others have it to address and in which they already have a huge user base ready to switch.

There's no "notebook with a touchscreen" because the technology isn't quite there yet AND because most tablet makers aren't interested in addressing it as much as they're interested in the "consumer market" e.g. people who don't really need a full-fledged computer. MS is pretty smart in leaving it to them, where they are waring against each other, and addressing the ones still waiting.

Now, the OS just have to follow suit with the hardware :p

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I've been using the Asus Vivo RT, same cpu and OS as the Surface, in a lighter thinner package and adds GPS , NFC too. They are throwing in the keyboard dock for a while too.

I like the OS for a tablet, it's very smooth, the many swipe actions make using it enjoyable. Browser is nice and fluid , decent mail , maps app, and google maps and youtube full screen looks great in the browser too.

Not sure how it will compare to the soon to come full windows 8 Atom and i5 tablets but its not bad as is, falls short of the iPad's resolution and app selection, but pretty decent for a first gen product depending on your expectations.

Buy with a return policy just in case, but if you like touch gadgets I think most will keep them.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I am seriously considering a Surface Pro, but I will have to try it out and see what the pricing is like. I think that MS has been making a lot of good decisions recently, and I am going to show my support with my wallet. I have already upgraded to Windows 8 and will likely get a Samsung ATIV Odyssey. My Windows 8 experience on the desktop has bee very pleasant, especially with the Logitech T650 trackpad.

Yes, it is not for everyone, but I think the unified approach could be a winner.

GL

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
I am seriously considering a Surface Pro, but I will have to try it out and see what the pricing is like. I think that MS has been making a lot of good decisions recently, and I am going to show my support with my wallet. I have already upgraded to Windows 8 and will likely get a Samsung ATIV Odyssey. My Windows 8 experience on the desktop has bee very pleasant, especially with the Logitech T650 trackpad.

Yes, it is not for everyone, but I think the unified approach could be a winner.

GL

How has that been working out for you (T650)? Surface feel, gestures, accuracy, etc

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm seriously considering a Surface Pro, just waiting for the release and reviews. :)

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
I'm really interested in the surface, but I'd probably go with one of those hybrid tablet/notebooks instead. Those seem more practical for what I would need.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
How has that been working out for you (T650)? Surface feel, gestures, accuracy, etc

I like it a lot. I do like the feel of the Magic Trackpad better, but the T650 certainly gets the job done for me. I do think that a trackpad is a necessity for desktop Windows 8 users and the T650 is the best on that I have see so far. Would be awesome if someone can build a driver for the Magic Trackpad to work with Windows 8.

GL

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
I disagree.

The Surface is basically a notebook with the ability to pretend to be a tablet. The whole draw of the damn thing is the attachable keyboard.

The rt is a OS designed and optimised for tablet / touch use - much like iOS. As a tablet, it is no less convenient than the ipad. You obviously have no idea about the surface, as it would be more accurately described as an effective tablet with some of the core strengths of a PC.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Surface is a half assed tablet and a half assed laptop.

Also Windows 8... that Metro, side scrolling, square icons created in MSPaint... I'm just dumbfounded at how such talentless people managed to get positions so high up in the company.

Last edited:

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
The rt is a OS designed and optimised for tablet / touch use - much like iOS. As a tablet, it is no less convenient than the ipad. You obviously have no idea about the surface, as it would be more accurately described as an effective tablet with some of the core strengths of a PC.

How can you know how much I know about the Surface? I've looked into it, as I was interested to see how Microsoft would enter the tablet market.

In my opinion the Surface isn't enough of a tablet to effectively go up against real tablets. When the thing is packaged with a keyboard and is built so that you prop it up as a screen instead of hold it and use it like a tablet, you can only question when it stops being a tablet and turns into a gimmicky notebook.

*Batman*

Contributor
Oct 2, 2012
Gotham City
I have no interest in buying one, but a friend of mine might be. He's a Ford technician and wants to be able to access some special Ford sites. His iPad cannot display them, presumably because of Flash, however he bought the Galaxy Nexus 7 and that wouldn't work either. Apparently they geared the site to work with Microsoft stuff only.

The only disadvantage of the Surface is it has no cellular option and I'm not sure if he has WiFi in the shop or not.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
How can you know how much I know about the Surface? I've looked into it, as I was interested to see how Microsoft would enter the tablet market.

In my opinion the Surface isn't enough of a tablet to effectively go up against real tablets. When the thing is packaged with a keyboard and is built so that you prop it up as a screen instead of hold it and use it like a tablet, you can only question when it stops being a tablet and turns into a gimmicky notebook.

sigh... im going to move one with my life

laserfox

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
new york

Hi I own a Surface RT and I use it in tablet mode 80% of the time. The touch cover is just like the iPad pad smart cover you can fold it back and just use the tablet. Also you don't have to use the Kickstand. Please make some sensible arguments in the future.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Hi I own a Surface RT and I use it in tablet mode 80% of the time. The touch cover is just like the iPad pad smart cover you can fold it back and just use the tablet. Also you don't have to use the Kickstand. Please make some sensible arguments in the future.

I'm not saying it can't be used as a tablet. I'm saying that it's being advertised to be used like a notebook. Go watch the Microsoft commercial for it - they only show it with the keyboard, and in fact, make the "click" sounds of opening the kickstand and attaching the keyboard cover as a major part of their advertising.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I disagree.

Basically this.

I'm typing this on a Surface - it is not a tablet. It has touch screen functions as much so as a laptop with Windows 8 has touch screen on it. As a tablet, it is awful. Ergonomically awful, horrible pixel density, strange touch behaviors, impossible to use onscreen keyboard - complete lack of apps.

Using it to take notes and type posts on Macrumors? Good use for it.

It's a $500 netbook with good battery life, good viewing angles. Or more like $600 + tax.

Being returned when I have the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.