Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Root2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I prefer spotify. Each has it's pro's and con's however. To use spotify on your mobile you have to pay $10 a month unless you just want to use the radio feature, which doesn't let you pick any particular songs. Pandora is free but is essentially just streaming radio.

If you want more options I would go with spotify, if you don't care what songs play then go for pandora. Just my 2.

ShaunOK

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2012
Spotify although there seems to be a lot of people having battery drain issues with it on iPhone 5.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
A third choice--which is what I use--is MOG--much like Spotify in that you pick your own music. Personally, I like the content of MOG better--at least back when I first started using MOG. I have about 25GB of their music on my phone.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
I had to get rid of spotify as it kept locking up. By that I mean it would play a commercial, then before it started the next song it would just sit there. Nothing, no music.
Then it also kept playing remakes, 3rd takes, and repeats.

Tried pandora and haven't looked back. I also use iheartradio and iradionow

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I prefer spotify. You have more control over what songs it plays rather than Pandora. I've been using spotify since June and love it. $10.00/month isn't a bad deal either since I don't keep songs on my phone.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I use Rhapsody. For 14.99 a month you get unlimited music streaming & downloads on 3 mobile devices and unlimited listening through website from desktop/laptops.

If I didn't have 5 kids between the ages of 8-14 My music service selection would probably be different.

Last edited:

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I've tried to give Pandora a chance so many times throughout it's history for various platforms but I just can't bring myself to like it. I primarily use Slacker Radio. I do like the quality and selection in Spotify but I find their graphical interface to be a bit cumbersome, particularly while driving. Slacker Radio is fantastic in the car and has replaced XM Radio for me.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2011
Spotify although there seems to be a lot of people having battery drain issues with it on iPhone 5.

I think there are battery issues with the 5 regardless of the app being used. It's just not a good battery for all the things this phone can do. I'm hoping they realize this in the next iPhone model update or 2 :rolleyes:

QuasarZ

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I use pandora. I have a ton of channels listed it plays through. I hear enough of what I want it isn't worth the 10 a month for me.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I use rdio because spotify doesn't give you the option to repeat one song unless you put it in a playlist by itself. I also have pandora on my phone. I don't have any problems with either one.

OZPINHEAD

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Emerald City
Pandora all the way. Actually Pandora|One
Unlimited data, unlimited internet at home also a clear iSpot with unlimited data for on the go wifi.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I usually use Pandora. I'm pretty much always on wifi so it's not taking up data. My husband likes Slacker radio.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I use Pandora...I never liked the interface of Slacker, and Spotify never let me sign on and was always buggy! I do use Spotify on my computer though...I'm not one to pay to use it on mobile :D

Pandora is a bit lacking with song variety, IMO, but it works for me when I'm on the go.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I use rdio because spotify doesn't give you the option to repeat one song unless you put it in a playlist by itself. I also have pandora on my phone. I don't have any problems with either one.

I use Rdio too but because Spotify creates a huge cache in your phone even if you delete the songs.

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Neither. Rdio for downloaded music. It has collections and playlists, spotify doesn't.

Slacker for streaming radio. I hear better lows than on pandora.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I subscribe to Pandora one, but I do wish it had unlimited skips like Spotify. Pandora One is much cheaper than Spotify though.

aznsmith

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2009
Pandora is pretty decent. I would just stick with the free version. Spotify is nice except for the per month charge, you can just put that towards buying your own songs and have a substantial library after a couple of years.

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
I'm partial to Rdio myself. The sync to mobile feature is killer - so much easier to download full albums instead of just playlists for offline play than Spotify.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.