Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
ipad mini looks nice but suck technically.. it is slow and has no retina.. perfect for women and kids for christmas i will get the retina version in 6 moths

bkspero

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Blown away by the sound quality

Like the commercial. Am really impressed by the sound quality Apple gets from those tiny drivers. If I didn't know better (no disclaimer) I would have guessed the sound was coming from a larger device.

beetlemanptm

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Schnecksville, PA
Saw that ad during the Washington Redskins-Carolina Panthers game on FOX today. Also saw that ad during the second quarter of the Cincinnati Bengals-Denver Broncos game on CBS on the same day.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This ad also highlights the point that Android devices are still mostly hopeless when it comes to music apps. .

Not at all since they didn't so much as mention the devices, not to mention show one

----------

What is it with Apple's marketing? They do this ALL the time where they take a great product with killer hardware and intuitive user interface to do useful things, and advertise it to 4 year olds. I don't get it...the core of Apple fans need to be the techies...not little girls.

Apple is in this (meaning the iPad) to sell units and thus make money. The iPad, hell even the iPhone, has never been a 'techie' device. Why is why they don't have 'open' software you can tweak to your hearts content, the best specs an open store etc. 'little girls' don't need such things but techies feel they do.

And given that money is the goal they will look at the biggest audience with the simplest/cheapest needs. Since the number of little girls etc far exceeds the number of techies it's easy to guess what they picked.

And since a key audience for a smaller device would be those with smaller hands and even simpler needs than those that might get the 'regular' iPad, an ad that features something 'childlike' such as a song that many kids learn is in fact perfect.

----------

It would have been better to just show kids playing on it, students taking notes on it, businessmen using it, and some guy waiting in a train station watching a movie on it.

This ad is just kinda cheesy and hardly shows off the usefulness, portability, or elegance of the iPad mini.

The ads you speak of will come later although they will likely feature both sizes just to drive home the point of how they are the same.

This was just meant as a cute little hello. And it worked. Folks are talking even if just to beeyotch.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
That's where I disagree though...from a pure, hardware and technical standpoint, apple products are superior than the competition...so why is this killer hardware being advertised to soccer moms and not geeks?

Because that is where the money is, and Apple has one single goal: to send as much money to hedge funds and other institutional investors as they possibly can.

I don't mind including the mid-market, but why EXCLUDE the technical consumers, especially when the products include hardware that technical consumers would highly appreciate and the mid-market wouldn't recognize.

Do yo realize that the product currently under consideration uses a relatively low DPI screen and a relatively slow processor and has relatively little RAM and cannot even effectively multitask? I'm not sure that Apple did that to attract geeks. I am sure, however, that Apple did it because they knew that it was a path to making a maximum amount of profit.

t's one of the reasons I was a fandroid for a while because I assumed iphone/ipad were weak, overpriced toys (as a result of these cutsey lame commercials), and then when I actually used one, I realized "hey, this thing is a powerful computer, way more powerful than any android product...

Not anymore. There are plenty of phones that blow away the iPhone in terms of raw power, and when the Surface surfaces (pun fully intended) I predict that it will blow the iPad out of the water, if one is looking for a "thing [that] is a powerful computer".

I do agree, sadly, that apple keeps dumbing down their products, and when you go to the apple store, everyone's looking at ipads and nobody is looking at the Mac Pro, which is a beast of a machine and a geek's dream. I sure hope they don't get rid of the Mac Pro anytime soon...it's by far Apple's best product and I hope it doesn't go away because they are selling out to the soccer moms and leaving their core tech. fans out to dry.

There is a very simple reason for that - Apple makes scads of money from the iPhones and the iPads. They never ever made much from computers.

The Mac Pro is dead. Build your self a powerful box and move to Linux if you want a true professional-class workstation. Apple is going in the direction of making shiny toys for the masses.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Not anymore. There are plenty of phones that blow away the iPhone in terms of raw power, and when the Surface surfaces (pun fully intended) I predict that it will blow the iPad out of the water, if one is looking for a "thing [that] is a powerful computer".

Really?, I was under the impression the iPhone 5 was at the top of the benchmarks.

The iPad has been benchmarking very strong as well.

I believe iOS hardware used to be below the pack hardware wise (still competitive though), but are now, at least recently, often at the top of the pack.

It's the walled garden that rubs 'geeks' the wrong way more than anything else in my experience. Apple won't let you tinker and waiting for a jailbreak sucks.

kellemar

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
Really?, I was under the impression the iPhone 5 was at the top of the benchmarks.

The iPad has been benchmarking very strong as well.

I believe iOS hardware used to be below the pack hardware wise (still competitive though), but are now, at least recently often at the top of the pack.

It's the walled garden that rubs 'geeks' the wrong way more than anything else in my experience. Apple won't let you tinker and waiting for a jailbreak sucks.

I'm curious to know too since the iPhone 5 and iPad blows every competition away in most benchmarks.

And the latest Surface with Windows RT is benchmarked slower than the latest iPad.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Lol you don't know this.

On topic, I bet I'll be very interested in the 2nd Gen mini - once its jailbroken :D

Apparently, Musclenerd has posted that he gained root access and done a basic JB on the mini. Question will be if they are able to do it untethered with iOS 6 or if they are able to downgrade it to 5.

grayter1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
Purely musically spoken this ad is a bit of a fraud, because somewhere midway the ad (when the fingers are no longer visible) you suddenly hear extra piano notes (chords) that never could have been played by the two fingers.

Noticed that too. Where in heck did those chords come from? ;)

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
I saw the mini today at my local Apple store.
OMFG! The build quality is A+!!!!!
It is an awesome device. Don't worry about the screen resolution. It doesn't take away one bit from the experience.
And when that bad boy goes retina with an A6 chip all hell will break loose next year.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
Please show some respected for the retarded and/or austistic by not using them, like gays etc, as a synonym for stupid or undesirable. It's crass and tacky.
He didn't use "autistic" synonymous with "stupid". Autistic people are in some cases not capable of recognizing things like irony, metaphors and similar linguistic devices. So the statement was true. And I can only laugh about the respect thing, sorry.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I saw the mini today at my local Apple store.
OMFG! The build quality is A+!!!!!
It is an awesome device. Don't worry about the screen resolution. It doesn't take away one bit from the experience.
And when that bad boy goes retina with an A6 chip all hell will break loose next year.

Hi Tim.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice, much like we haven't noticed the long overdue Logic X and a Mac Pro to run it on...

Just sayin'...

Been pointed out about two times already that the bigger iPad is playing the backing track to the song. The mini is being used to play the higher accompanying bit.

(Look at the top part of the larger iPad before it's panned away to the mini, and you will see the progress slider moving slowly.)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I guess Apple assumed musicians wouldn't notice,

I'm certain they knew that musicians would notice. But the ad wasn't created for you so they just didn't care.

As for the whole Logic Pro X etc, are you so sure that EVERYONE is screaming for it or are you speaking for yourself and assuming you are so important that everyone would agree with you

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Aside from the fact that Heart and Soul makes me want to jump out the window of my 15th storey flat, I loved this ad. Adorable. :p

Agreed. I wish I never had to hear that song again. Now it will be played incessantly.

grayter1

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Saint Paul, MN
I'm certain they knew that musicians would notice. But the ad wasn't created for you so they just didn't care.

As for the whole Logic Pro X etc, are you so sure that EVERYONE is screaming for it or are you speaking for yourself and assuming you are so important that everyone would agree with you

Enough folks are. A check of the Apple Logic discussion boards would show I'm not the only one that is waiting for it. I'm also a professional editor that runs my own shop, so do even get me started on that.

However, we are a small niche market and Apple clearly is into portable devices.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
What's the message of this ad? I always thought that mini pianos were only good for those who can't afford real ones either because of space constraints or costs. Is that the reason people should buy iPad Mini too?

Well, the ad tries hardly to have the same heart and spirit than the one when Steve was alive.

The ad tries to be "cute". Personally I need to play piano with two hands and a sustain pedal, with an iPad is too frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.